Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 96 of 101 1 2 94 95 96 97 98 100 101
C
C
Tristan, Have you read "Learned Optimism" by Martin Seligman?
He talks about "learned helplessness" and how to overcome it.

Cheers

M22,H45,W45 S21/18D12
Retain faith that you will prevail in the end, regardless of the difficulties and at the same time confront the most brutal facts of your current reality, whatever they might be.
O
O
Tristan,

Just a thought - have you asked her what makes her feel more in control and more able to think when she's depressed? She may not know it now, and may need an IC, but if you can identify her triggers with her help you'd probably feel more sure that you are helping.

GREAT to hear that she recognizes that the M isn't the reason~

T
tristan Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thx Coach, OMTB:

I have seen you tout 'Learned Optimism' before. Had not read it though. Helpless is very much the feeling I get when she is like this. I will order the book tonight. Nice to see you stop by.

I am not sure anything triggers it. However, I can usually predict when it is coming. It's strange, the physical symptoms usually precede the emotional. For a couple of days she can be jovial, but have cold like symptoms without the cold. She will be tired with head and body aches. The sadness does not come untill a couple of days later. Truthfully, I think it is pretty much all brain chemistry for her.

Me: 36, W: 33, M: 10 yrs
Bomb: 1/09, Seperated: 9/09, Piecing Begins: 10/09

My story: http://www.divorcebusting.com/forums/ubb...t=91&page=1
O
O
Has she seen a doc for it?

G
G
Originally Posted By: tristan
Thanks Puppy. By the way, I have been mentioning to W some of the things that you propose on this site. I think she is afraid of you. LOL

She also tells me that she would have divorced me on the spot had I tried to subpoena her IC files smile

That was Coach who did that. And I do NOT recommend it. While it got my attention and yes, did scare me...had I truly needed the help of an IC to sort myself out at that time (or any time in the future until I DIE), I would not have gone. And can say absolutely, will never go again. Hope we never need it, is all I can say, b/c I wouldn't budge on that. It was an extreme invasion of privacy.

Greek

Me45 H46
T25 M22
S21 & 19
D13
Separated and filed 8/08
Moved home 11/08

Happily ever after is one day at a time.
T
tristan Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted By: Greek
Originally Posted By: tristan
Thanks Puppy. By the way, I have been mentioning to W some of the things that you propose on this site. I think she is afraid of you. LOL

She also tells me that she would have divorced me on the spot had I tried to subpoena her IC files smile

That was Coach who did that. And I do NOT recommend it. While it got my attention and yes, did scare me...had I truly needed the help of an IC to sort myself out at that time (or any time in the future until I DIE), I would not have gone. And can say absolutely, will never go again. Hope we never need it, is all I can say, b/c I wouldn't budge on that. It was an extreme invasion of privacy.

Greek

That is pretty much what Mrs. T said. I am sorry that it has scared you from seeing one anytime in the future. I found mine very helpful during our whole ordeal.

It is always good to see you and Coach on this board. You two are a great example of how beautiful M can be even after hard times.

Take care.
-T

O
O
I don't know what state you are in, but in Canada, privacy laws protect IC files and they can not be used in any court or ever be disclosed.

If this is true in your state, she might need to know that she'd be safe saying anything to an IC.

I'd wonder if her IC was any good. Maybe you can get some referrals for good ICs in your city.

T
tristan Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted By: Onthemountaintop
Has she seen a doc for it?

Yes she has OTMT. She was on meds for about a year and stopped taking them this past October. We have discussed whether the meds were helpful at all and I think we have both agreed that they were not. I tend to think that the ADs pushed her into a pseudo-manic state (see rapid cycling). She disagrees; but does not believe the ADs helped either.

In any case, she has been battling the bouts of depression without the help of meds since then.

T
tristan Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted By: Onthemountaintop
I don't know what state you are in, but in Canada, privacy laws protect IC files and they can not be used in any court or ever be disclosed.

If this is true in your state, she might need to know that she'd be safe saying anything to an IC.

I'd wonder if her IC was any good. Maybe you can get some referrals for good ICs in your city.

I don't think she is afraid of seeing an IC. I was refering to the belief that it was a huge invasion of privacy. That is where she agrees with Greek.

We are seeing a MC that we both like right now. That is enough for us.

And no, she does not believe her IC helped her much.

O
O
Is she dealing with bi-polar depression?

Page 96 of 101 1 2 94 95 96 97 98 100 101

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard