Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 27 1 2 3 4 5 26 27
S
smith18 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
My father hunted mule deer. I never got an interest in it. Venison is kind of strange tasting for me. And it just seemed like way too much work to drive 350 miles to eastern oregon, scout out, locate, shoot, field dress, get it home (with the head on the front of the car!) and then butcher it. For what? Maybe 80-100 pounds of boneless meat if it was a good sized muley (200+).

S
smith18 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted By: bright_new_day
I don't think we have nutria here. I have never heard of them.

Oh you got them! They are an introduced species that has done vast devastation to the Chesapeake Bay marsh areas.

Y
Y
Originally Posted By: KerryK
Yoyo - Has your X looked into velcro implants?

He wears a glue on job that gets replaced once a month. blush

Life's challenges are not supposed to paralyze you, they're supposed to help you discover who you are.
-- Bernice Johnson Reagon

T
T
You guys crack me up.

Me 45, H 46, S 23, M 26, Together 30, Bomb 6-2-08,
S 6-19-08; H left 12-29-08. H home 12-09, Still MLC in 2012!
Me- I have my big girl panties on. Bring it.

B
B
Now I am going to have to Google nutria!

I never liked the taste of venison either. I would make jerky out of it, or put it in the crock pot with b-b-q sauce all day to cover the taste. After X moved out I threw away the venison left in the freezer. I never want to cook it again!!!

"You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." Jon Kabat-Zinn

Suzy
M: 6/22/85; D: 1/31/08
S
smith18 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Here is a very informative link about Nutria:

http://www.iisgcp.org/EXOTICSP/nutria.htm

We have that tobasco guy to thank for their invasion.

B
B
It looks like an ugly guinea pig with a tail. Ick!

Suzy
W
W
Possum story ....

Driving out bush this week ... me and 4 Countrymen in the car going to a really remote Homeland outstation.

It's the wet season here so not much hunting ... too much long grass, rivers fast and deep, difficult to see the wallaby, kangaroo and pigs ...

Bad road ... corrugated, praying I won't blow a tyre (it's 36 degrees celsius, 90% humidity and muddy, very very muddy)

Concentrating on getting us there in one piece, concentrating on 4WD skills, keeping speed reasonable, but quick enough so we’ll make the place by dark … and a possum ran out on the road – a big one (I actually thought it was a small pig at first). Bang. Oops.

This white girl terribly upset. Countrymen yelling at me “stop the car, stop the car Ms, you-need-stop-this-one-motor-car-right-now-sista-girl.“

By this stage I’m really worried that possum is possibly one of their totems … and if I’ve killed it, the kadaicha man is going to be on my tail (black magic/payback … DRAMA)

Nah … they couldn’t believe their luck. Tucker. One of the men jumped out, ran back to inspect the damage. The possum wasn’t quite dead, so he speared him in the head and threw him in the back of the ute.

We dined on possum stew when we finally made it – the family out there were thrilled, they reckon they were sick of turtle eggs and needed some meat!!!!

Of course I'll be spending a good part of the weekend cleaning possum guts out of the back of my truck!!

Last edited by Walking; 02/20/10 04:34 AM.

V

Never make someone a priority, who makes you an option.
S
smith18 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Virginia - that sounds like miserable muggy weather conditions. Are the bugs out during the wet season?

I suspect you hit a Brushtail Possum which eats mostly leaves but occasionally eats small rodents.

How was the stew?

I just looked it up... In the western hemisphere they are called opossum and the eastern hemisphere (Australia) they are called possum. The Australia possum is definitely a lot cuter then the ugly ones we have.

I really feel sorry for the momma opossum that has to carry all those kids around on her back...

http://wildlifemysteries.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/opossum-clan.jpg

My kids were wondering what I am going to do if we catch a skunk.

B
B
Kerry, if you catch a skunk you will be bathing in tomato juice!!! LOL

The possum in my garage was mean looking and I ran back into the house!

Suzy
Page 3 of 27 1 2 3 4 5 26 27

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard