Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 27 1 2 3 4 26 27
B
B
My X hunted. I have butchered more damn deer than you can imagine. One year he bagged 5. He always refused to take them to a butcher because "you couldn't be sure you would get your own deer meat back." Hmmmm, paranoid and mistrusting much?! And he was always soooo busy, that I ended up doign the work so that the meat wouldn't spoil! But I drew the line at squirrels, and he never hunted any other animals!

Oh, and last month there was a possum in my garage eating my cat's food and it scared the bejeesus out of me!!! It did not look like something I would want to eat!!!

"You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." Jon Kabat-Zinn

Suzy
M: 6/22/85; D: 1/31/08
S
smith18 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
When my mother in law from Thailand was visiting and saw her first possum in our back yard, she thought it was the biggest rat she had ever seen. And they have some big rats in SE Asia.

Do you have Nutria in Virginia? We got lots of them here. They cause damage to dikes. I have heard, that just like porcupine, there is no good way to cook them to make them palatable.

F
F
I have helped butcher but never did a whole one on my own...
birds for sure
and fish (I cook em' fillet em' and debone em...pan fish like sunnies are my favorite)

my dad has made squirrel boooooooooja (I know that isn't how you spell it but I like to say it that way)

but, I like mine from the grocery store best (except for fish)

C
C
Quote:
Do you have Nutria in Virginia? We got lots of them here. They cause damage to dikes. I have heard, that just like porcupine, there is no good way to cook them to make them palatable.

We got em here by the boatload.

Quote:
Nutria Ragondin Sausage Jambalaya

Recipe by: Mattie Harris

2 lbs diced ragondin (nutria) meat
1 lb smoked sausage
1/4 c. oil
2 onions, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 c. rice
1 T Lea & Perrin's Worchestershire sauce
1 c. Rotel tomatoes
3 c. water
Salt & pepper (to taste)

Heat oil in large dutch oven. Brown nutria meat and sausage. Remove from pot. Add all other ingredients except rice. Simmer for 20 minutes. Return meat to pot. Cook 2-3 hours or until meat is tender. Add rice and bring to boil. Stir and cover. Cook over low heat for 35-40 minutes. Eat and enjoy! Serves 6 to 8.

Click here to return to nutria recipies.

M22,H45,W45 S21/18D12
Retain faith that you will prevail in the end, regardless of the difficulties and at the same time confront the most brutal facts of your current reality, whatever they might be.
Y
Y
Kerry,
Please send the possum skins my way. XH started purchasing MLC toupees a couple of years ago. Yep, he joined The Hair Club. They are very similar to possum hides...he certainly could save lots of money if he didn't buy those hides and hunted them instead! Heck, I've seen some of them that even road kill looks just as well. grin

Life's challenges are not supposed to paralyze you, they're supposed to help you discover who you are.
-- Bernice Johnson Reagon

S
smith18 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Those Nutria are like Beavers without the flat tail. My dog had a run in with a big one and killed it, but not before it had a chance to sink its long orange teeth into her neck. After I got my dog back to my boat (anchoring overnight on Columbia), I tried to do first aid on her but she kept tearing the gauze off which did not stick too well to her hair. So I used duct tape around her head. Pretty funny sight. And the vet had a real tough time getting the tape off to stitch her up - they had to cut her hair. That dog of mine was a wild thing - worst incident was a porcupine - cost me over $500 to get all the quills out of her body.

This last summer, the kids and I saw thousands of wild chickens on Kauai. I was curious whether they would be good for eating and came across this recipe:

Originally Posted By: Kauai Wild Chicken Recipe
1 Kauai wild chicken
1 large onion
1 bunch seasoning spices of your choosing
1 large rock
Salt and pepper

Put all ingredients into a large covered pot. Simmer over a low flame for several hours. Remove the rock. Discard the chicken. Eat the rock.

S
smith18 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Yoyo - Has your X looked into velcro implants?

Y
Y
Sounds like a tasty rock!

Life's challenges are not supposed to paralyze you, they're supposed to help you discover who you are.
-- Bernice Johnson Reagon

B
B
I don't think we have nutria here. I have never heard of them.

I can't tell you how much I hated cuting up the venison. He would do the major cutting. I would end up with the four quarters to butcher, wrap, and freeze. My hands would be stained red and the smell of blood would linger with me for days. Don't miss that at all!!!

"You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." Jon Kabat-Zinn

Suzy
M: 6/22/85; D: 1/31/08
S
smith18 Offline OP
OP Offline
S

Page 2 of 27 1 2 3 4 26 27

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard