Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 66 of 109 1 2 64 65 66 67 68 108 109
K
K4D Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Well, the money is definitely there if I wanted to be a chemistry professor. Wow. I never realized that.

Kevin

Me 36, W 37
M: 08/02/97
D13, D9
1st Bomb 02/08
Reconciled 04/08
2nd Bomb: 09/08
W filed for D 02/04/09
Separated 03/09
D dismissed 06/09/09
Still separated...
C
C
What does age have to do with it? Is there an age limit for returning to school or changing careers? I hope not, lol!

Sometimes it's more about being happy and fulfilled in a job rather than what you make. Of course we need to be able to support ourselves and children but one can always find a way to do that.

And, FWIW, the few years of sacrifices my sister and BIL made for her to return back to school have paid off in spades. She graduated last May and was offered the position she has now a few weeks after graduation. In less than a year the money she has earned has just about made up for all their sacrifice. She is very well paid but she also adores her job.

My friend has one semester left to finish school. She dropped out to get married and have babies. Now she is 38 and working dead end jobs. She thinks she is too old to go back to school and finish her degree. I always tell her a year will pass either way. How do you want to use that year? Complaining that you never finished school or actually FINISHING school?

Time will always pass. How we use that time is up to us. You always have a reason as to why you cannot do something. Turn that around and I bet your life will change.

C
C
Why is it always about the money for you?

What about the love of the work? The passion you feel each day? The example it sets for your children that it is possible to go to work and adore your job each day?

T
T
Originally Posted By: CityGirl
Why is it always about the money for you?

What about the love of the work? The passion you feel each day? The example it sets for your children that it is possible to go to work and adore your job each day?

Because it's something that means She Who Must Not Be Named might take an interest in him again; he's mentioned conflicts over money before.

Me: 44, Wife: 39
M: 17 years T: 20 years
Bomb on 08/25/09
1/13/10: MC started
1/28/10, 2/8/10: More bombs
8/28/10: Wife moved out
No talk of D, no movement

"Every day is another chance to get it right."
C
C
I understand, Trent. My point was/is a career is for an individual and not about a spouse.

Lots of money will not buy you happiness. It might remove stresses about debt or give you a sense of security that you will have a roof over your head, food and other necessities but it NEVER will make you internally happy.

Honestly, if somebody is attracted to the money or status first and the person second it should be a red flag. Or I should say it would be a major red flag/turn off to me.

K
K4D Offline OP
OP Offline
K
It is about securing a financial future for myself as well as something I would enjoy. I just wonder with Chemistry not being an easy field how well I could do at it now versus 15 years ago. But I want to be able to buy a house and retire and not have to worry about my future. That is why I look at the pay off plus whether I can do it and if I would enjoy it. I am going to take a look. I don't think most classes have started up yet.

Kevin

Me 36, W 37
D13, D9
1st Bomb 02/08
Reconciled 04/08
W filed for D 02/04/09
Separated 03/09
D dismissed 06/09/09
Still separated...
D
D
Kevin,

You're doing great!!! (Well, one minor slip, but we won't count that .....)

smile

Everybody hurts. It's part of life. Don't miss the good stuff.
C
C
So, don't worry about your future and focus on the present.

A house and the retirement account will come with time and a dedication to budgeting and sacrificing for a greater good. Having a career you really love that you had to work really hard for will only make the house/retirement account that much sweeter.

FWIW - my sister and BIL bought a house while my sister was in school. My BIL makes "ok" money and my sister was only working part time as a lab processor. Dedication, budgeting and lots of sacrifice helped them achieve their goal. IOW they didn't buy Droid phones, go out for dinner or try and find a bit of immediate happiness/excitement on "stuff". They clearly kept their long range goal in mind.

Think of how excited you were and how much you chattered about your Droid. Would you have been equally excited if you had put the Droid purchase price in to a retirement or home buying account?

If your goal is a house and a solid retirement and your income is limited you have to be willing to sacrifice a few weeks of excitement to reach the long range goal. How are you doing that? Yes, I know you are looking for a better job but until then what you are you doing each week to meet the goals of buying a house and securing your retirement?

K
K4D Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I am saving money and therefore lacking in much to do for entertainment.

But my point really is that it would be a lot of fun to be a tram driver at six flags. But it only pays $7 an hour. That isn't going to secure much of a future and a house and what not. So my point is you do have to take some form of financial thought into it, not just fun if you have goals you want to obtain.

Kevin

Me 36, W 37
D13, D9
1st Bomb 02/08
Reconciled 04/08
W filed for D 02/04/09
Separated 03/09
D dismissed 06/09/09
Still separated...
C
C
Ok. I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I do not equate "fun" with being passionate about your work/career path.

Fun is what you do for entertainment or for kicks. IMO that has nothing to do with a career.

If your most pressing need is to buy a house and secure retirement then I agree... find the highest paying job you can within your skill set and education and to hell with feeling passionate about your work. My H is like that and I guess some people simply are. He is very good at his job but he doesn't love it or really even like it but he does make 6 figures and has for some time. But, he would shovel poo for 7 figures no matter how much he hated it as the paycheck is what he is after. Different strokes for different folks!

Funny thing is my H isn't all that happy of a person despite the large payout he gets twice per month.

Page 66 of 109 1 2 64 65 66 67 68 108 109

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard