Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 26 of 109 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 108 109
S
S
I think you did great. Those first few holidays are going to be hard with everyone navigating their place. You didn't go overboard and held it together! Very proud of you.

I know it hurts and it sucks that W is indifferent. Like she said maybe pray for acceptance and peace.

You did really good Kev!

Me: 46 FWS: 36
Married and Divorced 4/07, Pregnant 7/07,False R 7/07
Baby Girl born 3/08
Kicked him out because OW: 7/08
5/10 He realized what he had and lost.
Moved home! REMARRIED 3/14/11!!
S
S
Hi K4D,

A message for everyone on K4D's thread, but mainly for Kevin.

1. To help Kevin
2. To make people helping him think, and God bless you for helping him.

I won't go into detail, you can search my name and get my story but first bomb 3 1/2 years ago separation 3 years ago. together 20 years.

What I have learnt.

When you get the bomb, just read this forum and it's almost identical, same reason whether MLC or not. They always seem to have given it because there is someone in the wings.

Rule one, It is never about you. good bad or ugly once there is someone else, back off basic of DB look after yourself (easier said than done, bearing in mind this is coming from someone who has taken over 3yrs to get it)

I read on here and see it just going around and around, there are many wise people on here, you can see from their posts who can get it straight away and when you do stick with them like glue. For you Kevin I think it's 25 listen and learn.

For me the person who speaks with depth and understanding is Bworl, I've spent far to many hours on here and this man has more insight than anyone I've come across so if he goes on any ones thread, please be thankful.

Now this thread has made me learn, I relate so much to Kevin it's quite weird, Yes the sooner you move on the better but as you all know when you spend your life with someone and it all crashes it is utter devastation. Some move faster than others there is no right or wrong at the speed it is always right for the person at that time.

To everyone out there getting frustrated with Kevin, just think back to your own bomb and how utterly lost you were. If you move quicker well done. Your helping for a reason, because you can.

This may sound preaching as I've not contributed, but I am now.

I've decide to write as a line in Kevin's post about having a great Christmas, doing so well and then going home and crying realizng it really is over is exactly what I did 3 years down the line.

To everyone, the basics, look after yourself, there is no race.

Take care
Charlie

Me 39
W 39
D8
S5
Married 13yrs
Together 20years
EA June 06
Ilyninlwy Jan 07
Seperated Jan 07
K
K4D Offline OP
OP Offline
K
25, SO2, Strongerthanthis,

Thank you. I am not sure if 2010 will be a better year in terms of the family, but I intend to make it a better year in terms of my career and life.

So I went and talked to this agency this morning. Apparently it is a fee based agency. I talked to the vp of recruiting and he said from looking at my resume they can easily get me 75k to 100k. I only make 55k right now. He said at my age, that is minimum wage in the corporate world. It got me to thinking that he is right about that. They want $5,700. He said they deal with executives in companies and have 100% rate of finding people jobs. He said they don't take candidates unless they know for a fact that they can place them. He said they have 7 complaints listed on the BBB in 4 years and 3 of them were candidates that they turned down. He said I need to get my career going now because I don't want to be 40 and still where I am.

It is a big chunk of money up front. But if it guarantess the jump in pay, it will be worth it. I guess the difference is they have contacts with executives in high places and I don't. It would also be an 18 month contract.

So it left me thinking about a few things.

Kevin

Me 36, W 37
M: 08/02/97
D13, D9
1st Bomb 02/08
Reconciled 04/08
2nd Bomb: 09/08
W filed for D 02/04/09
Separated 03/09
D dismissed 06/09/09
Still separated...
C
C
I am glad you went to the meeting for informational purposes.

I am glad you feel that 2010 must be about you and your future.

Just for discussion sake the idea of a fee based agency leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Keep in mind the recruiter you spoke with today is a sales person and makes commission on your agency fee. I find it odd that when they called to set up the appt. they did not mention to you that the agency they rep is a fee based service. To me, that is a red flag.

You said you posted your resume online, right? Is there a way to change your profile so that fee based agencies will not contact you? If so you might want to try that and see if your resume generates any interest. The company that hires you should be paying the agency fee, not you!

I am glad you are being proactive about your career and I do think it's a great first step in the "year of Kevin" I am just leery of fee based agencies.

K
K4D Offline OP
OP Offline
K
CG,

I am a little leary to. I was quite disapointed when I got there and was told that. I don't know if there is a way to block fee based agencies, but I will look at it and see. I agree that if they are that confident, they should be willing to get the fee from the company themselves.

It is a bit shakey and I have not made a decision to go with them. It just left me with things to think about. Definitely my career path has to improve and there are other top agencies that wouldn't charge me the fee.

Yes, I posted my resume online to 5 different sites. I don't expect many if any calls this week. Probably closer to mid January when budgets open up and everyone is back in the office in full swing.

Kevin

Me 36, W 37
D13, D9
1st Bomb 02/08
Reconciled 04/08
W filed for D 02/04/09
Separated 03/09
D dismissed 06/09/09
Still separated...
C
C
I guess the idea of a fee based agency doesn't bother me, it's the fact that they didn't tell you they were fee based when they made the initial contact. Did you do any research at all on the agency before you went to the meeting?

Of course they are going to tell you all the things they can do for you and make it sound like a done deal. They also used a bit of reverse psychology it seems by pointing out your current wage/age. Obviously you are not where you want to be or you wouldn't be putting your resume online!

Why not contact the non fee based agencies you know of and see if you can set up a meeting? If they are willing to give you a meeting do your research! Know the names of the higher ups at the agency and the background - be proactive!

K
K4D Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Quote:
I guess the idea of a fee based agency doesn't bother me, it's the fact that they didn't tell you they were fee based when they made the initial contact. Did you do any research at all on the agency before you went to the meeting?

I didn't really research them because I have used agencies in the past and been contacted by many more as well. So I figured it is just another agency that might have good job potential. I am currently with an agency right now. I just haven't dealt with a fee based agency in years and had pretty much forgotten they existed.

Quote:
Of course they are going to tell you all the things they can do for you and make it sound like a done deal. They also used a bit of reverse psychology it seems by pointing out your current wage/age. Obviously you are not where you want to be or you wouldn't be putting your resume online!

True.

Quote:
Why not contact the non fee based agencies you know of and see if you can set up a meeting? If they are willing to give you a meeting do your research! Know the names of the higher ups at the agency and the background - be proactive!

That is what I was thinking of doing next. I have some contacts at some and I am going to try and get something going at those.

Kevin

Me 36, W 37
D13, D9
1st Bomb 02/08
Reconciled 04/08
W filed for D 02/04/09
Separated 03/09
D dismissed 06/09/09
Still separated...
K
K4D Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Does anyone know if the "Rich Dad Poor Dad" books are worthy of anything more than real estate investing? Are they good for getting other businesses started besides real estate? A friend of mine recommended them to me and she runs a business in the CNC machines industry.

Just wondering if anyone has any opinions on those books.

Kevin

Me 36, W 37
D13, D9
1st Bomb 02/08
Reconciled 04/08
W filed for D 02/04/09
Separated 03/09
D dismissed 06/09/09
Still separated...
C
C
What exactly are your career goals? Are you just looking to make the most money possible no matter what you do?

I have been self employed for almost a decade and it is not easy (but I love it!). You must be very aggressive, extremely proactive, disciplined and very passionate about what you are doing. Also, the first few years of owning a business are very lean and it's highly advisable to have at least one year of living expenses saved up.

If your end goal is simply to make as much money as possible doing whatever (and there is nothing wrong with that, I am just trying to understand) to me, starting a business is not the way to do that.

K
K4D Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Well,

The end goal is obviously to make more money. But I am not interested in real estate. It would have to be a business I know something about. I would be interested in starting a servicing business of some sort for corporations. Right now I am with a group of guys and we are looking at developing a service app for certain industries. I don't want to go into it more than that on here. But other businesses would peak my curiosity as well if they were profitable and I had some understanding of how they work.

Kevin

Last edited by K4D; 12/28/09 04:24 PM.

Me 36, W 37
D13, D9
1st Bomb 02/08
Reconciled 04/08
W filed for D 02/04/09
Separated 03/09
D dismissed 06/09/09
Still separated...