Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 46 of 50 1 2 44 45 46 47 48 49 50
Greek #1787833 06/23/09 12:05 PM
S
OP Offline
S
@Greek cautioned: "it's not 'technique'. It is learning what you missed about the person to whom you tied your future."

I suspect most everyone "gets" that, but that the word "technique" was used as a place-holder for "way" or "method" or "approach." But your basic point is spot-on -- it has to be authentic.

S
OP Offline
S
I was talking to an old college friend yesterday, herself divorced (in a much worse divorce than mine), and she suggested that one challenge the WAS might face when confronting a productive DB'er is that "as if" and moving forward defies the WAS's expectations and puts the onus of The Work on her/him. In other words, the WAS needs the LBS to be a wreck, because Wreck Behavior has the nice effect of being a distraction AND a source of continual rationalization for the WAS ("Gosh I'm glad to be getting rid of that"). Thoughts?

S
OP Offline
S
PDT -- alles klar.

@Forrest Gump: If Puppy is correct and that was merely a straight question with emphasis, the answer is -- if I might borrow a word from you -- "simple": Invaluable.

Why? What do you think of them?

P
P
Originally Posted By: SmileysPerson
I was talking to an old college friend yesterday, herself divorced (in a much worse divorce than mine), and she suggested that one challenge the WAS might face when confronting a productive DB'er is that "as if" and moving forward defies the WAS's expectations and puts the onus of The Work on her/him. In other words, the WAS needs the LBS to be a wreck, because Wreck Behavior has the nice effect of being a distraction AND a source of continual rationalization for the WAS ("Gosh I'm glad to be getting rid of that"). Thoughts?

I think your old college friend is pretty wise. cool

P
P

Why? What do you think of them?

Oh SP, you really don't know our friend Forrest very well at all, do you . . . smirk

S
OP Offline
S
Quote:
I think your old college friend is pretty wise. cool

Yes, I think so, too. It was funny in a way: OCF said, "Man, I want to be on your side, but your attitude and behavior towards WAW is making me empathize with her. If my ex had done what you're doing, I don't know what I would have done!"

This, I think, is what I meant when I used the poorly chosen word, "revenge" (cf @Gypsy), and it's what I mean when I talk about Paradigm Shift --> Power Shift. And, not incidentally, I think it gets to the crux of the discussion you and I and @Thinker were having a few pages back over what constitutes "rescuing" vice just being open and supportive when requested/required.

It's "revengy" (or "Schadenfreudy") to see the burden shifted back to WAS. For me, this has been one of the truly great things about the MWD books, this board (cf, @Forrest Gump), and the other books recommended here there and everywhere (N.U.T.S., Codependent, etc. etc.).

On the one hand, I dislike the kind-of zero-sum sense of happiness the paragraph I just wrote implies -- if I'm happy Herself has to be unhappy -- but on the other I definitely like the fact that, by getting myself squared away and moving forward -- by Rolling My Way -- WAW must confront head-on her own feelings, fears, and the like.

Since the Bomb made me do that, it seems only fair to me that My Walk since the Bomb return the favor.

P
P

Since the Bomb made me do that, it seems only fair to me that My Walk since the Bomb return the favor.

And I agree with you, if your goal is to end the marriage.

If you're still DBing, then I thought you were missing openings and opportunities, and I still do.

See, here's the rub (and I've been noodling starting a whole thread on this, because I think it goes right to the core of the challenge of DBing):

To sufficiently detach in order to get yourself to a place emotionally where a divorce isn't going to just DEVASTATE you, I think you have to get to a place emotionally where you may not be vulnerable enough to still save your marriage.

Does that make sense? In other words, I think LBSs do this "one foot on the platform, the other foot on the train" thing as a defense mechanism, and in so doing, we hurt our chances to save the marriage. One might even argue that the ONLY way to save the marriage is to make a Leap of Faith into the mosh pit that is the troubled marriage, and hope your WAS catches you (and/or God sustains you). But if you DO that, and it's not successful (and it's also a given DB maxim that we CAN'T control it), then your heart will be WAY more hurt when she says "I still want a divorce."

I guess that's where the RISK lies, huh?

Puppy

Last edited by Puppy Dog Tails; 06/23/09 12:39 PM.
S
OP Offline
S
Quote:
I think you have to get to a place emotionally where you may not be vulnerable enough to still save your marriage

??

Clarification?

P
P
On the old SSM board, we used to call it a state of "don'tgiveashitness."

S
OP Offline
S
I guess what I'm looking for is clarification of what that sentence implies -- to save the marriage one has to remain vulnerable to some degree. Is that the basic argument?

Which, if it is, could imply DB'ing "too much"?

Page 46 of 50 1 2 44 45 46 47 48 49 50

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard