Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 27 of 50 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 49 50
A
A
somehow i doubt this is helpful to anyone...probably best for us to end this pity party.

S
OP Offline
S
Agreed. Instead, let's feel sorry for me. cry

It's looking possible that my flight will get scratched (already 3 hours late) and the next available out of Airport City bound for Coastal City is scheduled to depart in...18 hours. So let's PMA and keep the fingers xx'd and hope that they (a) find a pilot, (b) find the 3 missing flight attendants, and (c) keep the flight "scheduled."

Because among other things I'd hate to get back to the house at the kids' bedtime tomorrow and miss the last day that they have an intact family in their lives.....

A
A
Originally Posted By: SmileysPerson
Agreed. Instead, let's feel sorry for me. cry

It's looking possible that my flight will get scratched (already 3 hours late) and the next available out of Airport City bound for Coastal City is scheduled to depart in...18 hours. So let's PMA and keep the fingers xx'd and hope that they (a) find a pilot, (b) find the 3 missing flight attendants, and (c) keep the flight "scheduled."

Because among other things I'd hate to get back to the house at the kids' bedtime tomorrow and miss the last day that they have an intact family in their lives.....

My stomach churned reading that last sentence and it made a grown man cry... That would just suck... My fingers are crossed for you...

New: What a Weekend

H-48
WAW-49
M-22
S-14,9
D-11
EA disc.-11/07
PA disc.-3/08
EA2?-6/08 to ?
S
S
Thanks for that. It'll be interesting to see what WAW's mood is like tomorrow morning, having spent the entire day today with them.

And if one more person tells me " oh they'll be fine" I'll throttle them. Three adult children of divorce laid that on me this week, but their experiences are 20 or 30 years in the past, so I find their glib assurances highly suspect. And, when pressed, the woman I lunched with today admitted she hasn't had a successful long-term relationship as an adult because "if you can't trust your parents, who can you trust?" and now she can't trust men - and inevitably picks the ones who leave.

So f**k that.

Funny--my FB says that if one more person tells me that the kids are resilient, I am going to punch them. I lived it, I frickig know better than most of the naysayers wh are in happy marriages and not the product of a divorce.

Living God's blessings with grace and dignity~
SMW

M40/H36
T16/M14
B2/08
S4/08
current

Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through
every circumstance.
I Corinthians 13:7

S
S
I hear you, alive.

(Feh - this doesn't bode well: 3 gate changes w/in 40 minutes.)

I think these "they'll be fine" folks equate survive with "thrive," and I find that to be problematic in the extreme. Even folks who "survived" can't know that they've thrived because they don't know what their lives would have been like otherwise.

They might well be living their "best lives" (to use a bit of Oprah-ese), but it's their best life given the fact of divorce, which is a different thing altogether.

I completely agree, Smiley. I see the wear and tear that separation is taking on my kids. D17 is an emotional time bomb--her anger barely contained and she is on prozac--and D9 is on zoloft and struggling big time, too, with slipping into depressions on a regular basis.

Living God's blessings with grace and dignity~
SMW

M40/H36
T16/M14
B2/08
S4/08
current

Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through
every circumstance.
I Corinthians 13:7

G
G
The bomb is one thing (the kids already have an idea that something's way off), being there for the emotional fallout is another thing entirely.

That is love, that is being there, that is being a parent. Here's a prayer to all the love, hugs, tears, cuddles, quiet strength, finding laughter, being open.. the love that only one person can give them.. which comes from you. Be their rock was their emotions crash against you. Reassure them that you are not going anywhere.

Well.. really... do what works for you.. and you're a pretty incredible guy.. I figure that makes you an exponentially amazing dad.

*hugs*

About resilience.. children learn from their parents. They will learn from you. Let your love guide you from the 25 meter mark and beyond.

*hugs*

F
fb2 Offline
F
You will hear a whole bunch of these cliches, if you haven't already, till you're blue in the face and every once in a while you will get very annoyed with the stupidity behind some of these "wise" saying:

"children are resilient, they'll be fine"
"time is your best friend and your worst enemy"
"you have a choice"
"the glass is half full"
"you will find someone else"
"the kids will figure it out one day"
"you need to move on"
"its only money"
"what she does is none of your business"
"be strong"
"let go"
"your lawyer needs to know that"
"are you seeing a counselor for that"
"society is not to blame for any of this its the individual"
"you must carry your cross"
"its OK for the ex to be with an OP in front of the kids as long as she's happy"
"you need to be happy"
"life is short"

G
G
The funny thing about cliches is the nugget of truth behind them all.

"children are resilient, they'll be fine"

Would you want them to be worse? Kids, adults adapt. First you learn to survive then thrive.

"time is your best friend and your worst enemy"

Limbo land is a terrible place to be, the waiting takes its own toll. Action builds growth.

"you have a choice"

You can do whatever you want to do. It's the 'whatever' that's tough.

"the glass is half full"

The glass is full.. of water, air.. things you can and cannot see. However, I've always hated that one.

"you will find someone else"

Yep.. this one sucks. What does finding someone else mean when the focus is on keeping the children whole. Then again when you do find someone else, the focus goes outward, forward, not inward.

"the kids will figure it out one day"

And they do.. it's human nature. There's no reason to tell them the injustice. After all, saying bad things about their parent always comes back to bit you in the ass."

"you need to move on"

How is that different than detaching?"

"its only money"

One thing I learned is that material goods are 'stuff'. The intangibles.. the love of your children, being with them, being a good person.. that makes life worthwhile.

Knowing that 'it's only money' let's you know when it's time to walk away.

"what she does is none of your business"

You have no control over what she does. If you focus on her (or him) you give them prime real estate in your brain then all that good energy in you is wasted and drains you.

"be strong"

Yep.. what would you rather be? What works better.. being stronger or weaker?

"let go"

Look what clinging got you.. Oh here's a new one: "Treat him/her like a dog that broke free of its leash. It's going to run away, like the wind but it always returns."

"your lawyer needs to know that"

That's a new one. You control how much your lawyer knows.

"are you seeing a counselor for that"

Everyone has to process trauma that goes on with living. Would you rather do it early on with the right tools working with an unbiased professional or roll the dice. If your leg breaks, do you set it yourself? What's wrong with giving your psyche the same respect and care?

"society is not to blame for any of this its the individual"

What in the heck does that mean (and that's new one)? Some trends are good.. some are not so good.. some are just plain unfair. It is amazing how quickly a marriage becomes a financial statement once a spouse decides they want out. How delicate relationships really are.

"you must carry your cross"

Oh goodness, just shoot me now! If you're living a life of regrets, by all means carry that cross and make sure it has plenty of splinters! You choose your own happiness and/or level of misery.

"its OK for the ex to be with an OP in front of the kids as long as she's happy"

You have no control over her actions.

"you need to be happy"

Well.. needing to be happy is not an absolute.. and you choose daily how you feel.

"life is short"

Our life is a blink in the eye for those big ole redwood trees, and eons compared to a mosquito's. What you do is all your choice.

The one I used to hate the most was "Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger."

I listen to the nuggets of truth around me, try to grow and thrive.

*hugs*

...sending caring, support, empathy and the strength to carry on to the Smiley Man...

K
K
You're in my thoughts today, Smiley.

"Show me a completely smooth operation and I'll show you someone who's covering mistakes.
Real boats rock." -- Frank Herbert
S
OP Offline
S
Thanks, Kett, but tomorrow -- the 14th -- is the Big Day. Today is "just" the "anniversary" of MY bomb.

Managed to get back to Coastal City at dawn and slept a couple hours. Kids are in the midst of "projects" -- scary word, coming from a 6-year-old!

WAW and I had a brief talk; she'd spent the day yesterday with the kids and was relating how much she struggles to mother S9. I listened and validated and said that this was one reason why from my POV we should not give up this partnership so readily -- marriage / divorce isn't always about "we're so different" and "we have nothing in common" (see cliche discussion above).

Sometimes, given circumstances, marriage is (or, from my POV at any rate should be) about "thank the gods we're so different, because I can't do X but you can." To her credit -- and this is a change -- she didn't disagree with that evaluation.

She then related story about Old College Friend and OCF's husband, with whom she and the little Persons spent the day yesterday, who went through Real World Traumas -- cancer, head injury to child, etc. etc. -- and their experience in counseling and getting close to divorce and moving away from divorce. WAW sounded vaguely...well, if not "open" to counseling then "not closed" to counseling.

(And here let me say that some of you have given me, from my POV, far too much credit for my "DB'ing." While I appreciate the support and the accolades, much of WAW's movement "back" -- if, indeed, there is any -- seems to me to have been generated by WAW and the interventions of outside trusted agents, like OCF, who lead her to re-evaluate (or at least re-look) some of her beliefs and decisions.)

At any rate, I decided to take a shot and quietly suggested that maybe we might consider couple's therapy after she moves out. Even if it just makes us a better divorced couple, I added, it can't hurt for us to see who we are now and what has happened to us.

WAW: "I'm not opposed to it, but after a little time. Things are just too crazy right now." So okay - that's not a bad answer in the grand scheme of things. She needs space; she needs time; she needs to persevere in her course-of-action and not be thwarted by He Whom She Is Trying To Escape.

The real problem (she said) is that she's "numb" -- as she put it, "That wall I built? I thought it was just for you but I think it might actually be against everything." And this makes her afraid that she might in fact never love again. She's not afraid of living alone (i.e., single) but she is afraid of never having love again.

Listened, nodded, validated, said gently "you are loved by lots of folks" but otherwise didn't contradict (I knew she was referring to romantic love, and she knew I knew), didn't rescue; just left it there for her to cope with.

------------

As I've played catch-up here with the threads, I notice a recurring leitmotif from some of our colleagues concerning my "deadness" (the Spiers Doctrine). Some seem to regard this as really next-level stuff. So let me have a whack at clearing it up.

I'm not "dead" to my wife or "dead" to my marriage [or, perhaps more accurately, those things aren't "dead to me" in the way we use that phrase], but I'm acting AS IF my fate is cast. Some have suggested there's a risk there of self-fulfilling prophecy (as did Nice Woman Friend I had lunch with yesterday -- yesterday? yes, yesterday -- oy, that seems a loooonnng time ago LOL!). That I won't be active in The Work.

Those are two different phenomena, at least from my POV. Doing The Work, as so many here point out on so many threads is AAM -- All About Me. If The Work produces an effect on the D in the putatively desirable direction, that's value-added. But the purpose is self-improvement.

For me, the Spiers Doctrine -- your only hope is to assume you're already dead -- is a coping mechanism, no different (if blunter) than Coach's Stockdale Paradox.

This struck me when I was stocking up on donuts last night (preparing for a sleep in the airport) and a little card fell out of my wallet. It would appear that I've been much more influenced by Spencer Johnson's recent book, Peaks and Valleys, than I have been aware of.

It's a small book -- 1, 2 hours' reading (which is an irritant, by the way, since it's hard-cover and therefore pricey) -- but smart in a way that seems to have mattered for me.

The sub-title is very informative, and the more I think about it the more I recommend it for @aliveandkicking and @Thinker and @orangedog and those others who have really helped me construct or re-evaluate My Way.

The sub-title is: Making Your Good and Bad Times Work For You -- At Work And In Life. Which, you know, sort of seems apt to our situations.

The book also gives you this nice little tear-out wallet card that summarizes the main learning points, and that's what fell out of my wallet whilst I was stuffing my carry-on with the life-sustaining Sugary Treats.

In the book, Johnson tells a little parable about peaks and valleys and points out that we often don't know the answer to this question: Is this the top of the valley or the bottom of the peak? And since we don't know, why assume the worst?

But one doesn't want to be a Dr. Pangloss, tutoring Candide, right? So Johnson writes:

1. To manage your good and bad times, Make Reality Your Friend. Whether you are on top of a peak or at the bottom of a valley, always ask: What is the truth in this situation? and then proceed accordingly. So with respect to my sitch, the truth is that WAW wants a divorce, has filed for divorce, is moving out in 2 weeks, and intends to seek a divorce.

Now there's other truth, too -- she's conflicted, she's confused, she is increasingly receptive to my expressions of caring -- when we were at her house earlier in the week and she was crying I found myself quite unconsciously doing a little physical touch thing that I've always done to comfort her -- very intimate -- and she didn't react negatively or pull away or anything.

But the top-level truth, the macro truth, the main truth is: Going to the Big D, don't mean Dallas. Okay. I can handle it.

Johnson says that the way you get out of a valley is to "Find and Use the Good Hidden in a Bad Time," because "valleys end." How? (Everyone's Big Question hereabouts!) Johnson says -- and this should sound familiar, sports fans -- "Get outside of yourself: be of more service at work and more loving in life." In other words, Get A Life!

How do you find peaks? You do what he calls "following your Sensible Vision." That's a whole discussion, and I don't want to copy it here because it's not mine to copy, but suffice it to say your Sensible Vision -- as opposed to, say, a Hopeful Vision or a Romantic Vision or a Dream Vision -- is a plan of action based on accepting Stockdale's Brutal Reality or the Spiers Doctrine: "Given that I am getting a divorce, what / how can I do / proceed / achieve....?"

It's what I often call choosing the Least-Worst Outcome (LWO) in situations where (as @pollyanna often notes) it's difficult to see anything other than an Upside For WAS and Lifetime Suckitude For LBS.

If we assume that there are a number of possible outcomes to our situations, even if it is simply a number of outcomes that are simply variations on divorce, which of them is the least-worst from the LBS's POV?

(If you want to look at it a different way, what is the most-positive outcome, though I personally don't want to link "positive" and "divorce" in that way. Or if, like @orangedog, @AlexEN, @Thinker, and @Coach, you're engineering / mathematically minded -- not to avoid mentioning our women colleagues, who might be just as mathematical -- you can think of it as a minimax decision strategy.)

For me, as you've seen, the LWO is Friendiness. It's not denial, though some of you seem reluctant to accept that assertion. Yes, I'm hurt. Yes, I'm sad. Yes, WAW "wins" and I "lose" in some macro sense of the terms. Yes, kids are hurt. Yes yes yes and yes to all the empirical data @orangedog was referencing above.

But. Stockdale. Spiers. Peaks and Valleys. GIVEN THAT hurt / sad / loss / etc., what is the maximal outcome I can hope to achieve? (In game theoretic terms, how can I minimize my maximum loss?)

Friendiness does that for me. It assures me that WAW will not sink into darkness and therefore be available to our kids. It assures me that the kids will see me not-hate their mother and therefore not challenge their love for her. It assures me that I am modeling sound leadership and coping for them. It assures me some-something-of-a-connection with a woman I've known nearly my entire adult life. And it assures me a window through which I can continue to spy out opportunities to DB.

Now that's not everyone's sitch; I get that. Maybe Friendiness won't work in @pollyanna's sitch. But the Friendiness attitude -- Taking The High Road -- certainly can't hurt her. It certainly can't make her a worse-off person and, given the worst outcome for her, it at least minimizes the effects somewhat because she'll always have the thought balloon that says "I am so much better than you, H."

I want my skies to be blue. If it happens to be the case that WAW gets to enjoy that nice day too, then so be it. Her enjoyment of sunny, blue, and 72 doesn't diminish mine. So why not share? It's good for toys; it's good for happiness.

And that's Johnson's final teaching point in Peaks and Valleys. To stay on top of a peak longer, there's no better recipe than to "help people make good and bad times work for them, too."

So I think that's why I'm doing what I do. Then again, I could just be a lunatic. crazy

Page 27 of 50 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 49 50

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard