Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
O
O
I'll share what I've learned over the years about weight control. I've never been seriously overweight, but have always been about 10-20 lbs overweight (mainly in the gut). My W is a nutrition major and personal trainer so we've spent a lot of time over the years on this topic.

My W (and me too, now) are firm believers in PORTION CONTROL. We don't diet, we eat what we want (mostly, but not always healthy), but now we really watch the amount we put in our mouths. It really makes a difference. The other comment I'll make is that you ARE going to feel hungry, especially in the beginning because you're cutting your calorie intake, and you just need to get used to that. It feels worse at first, but after a while, your stomach seems to shrink down (I'm not a doctor, so don't exactly know) and eating less actually doesn't feel so bad.

Here are a couple ideas if you struggle with weight control. I'm sure you've heard most of these before. Bottom line is there's no silver bullet -- the diets don't work. Just eat balanced meals, don't cut out all your fun foods, and eat less.

> When you make a plate for yourself, don't let the different foods touch -- make sure you can see some plate between the food!

> Eat slowly and don't take seconds. If your still hungry, drink a large glass of water.

> If you snack a lot, the food producers are coming out with ice cream bars, breakfast bars, etc..., that are only 100 calories a piece. Take one, and only one, and enjoy it.

> I've found that trying to cut out all snacks and fun foods does not work. Just try cutting back how much you have and you'll see a difference.

> Take a smaller bowl or plate. When I want a snack at night, I use either a coffee cup or a salsa dish (about 1/4 to 1/2 cup in size) and put my snack in there. Only about 1 scoop of ice cream fits, or about 15 chips, so that's all I end up having.

> Drink more. And water, not pop. I do drink a couple cups of coffee in the morning, but I get down several large waters during the day (I should even have more) and that does help keep you feeling full after a while.

> Exercise. Even a little bit. Take the stairs at work. Go for a walk after dinner. Go hit the gym. My W and I have found that a good balance of exercise and eating less really works. One without the other (either way) won't really get you results.

Me-44, W-45
Together-25 yrs, Married-21 yrs
D-17,S-15,D-13,S-10
ILYBNILWY Bomb: 10/2007
My Story
H
H
OK, I'll bite. As someone who "let herself go" also, I could use some ideas, inspiration, support, whatever. And this, for me, is just GAL and self-care. H will not notice, and I don't care whether or not he does. I need to feel better about myself and how I look an feel. I'm starting my life over again, not that I want to. But I'll have a new job soon (I hope!) and no longer have to concern myself with whether H will like my hair, makeup, what I wear. So I'm trying to think of it as a fresh start.

So--what has anyone done that has made a big difference in your confidence about your appearance? Guys--what do you notice about women ~50 who you consider attractive?

M60
H52
D20
M14 yrs
OW-old gf from 1986
bomb-5/18/08
H filed for D-9/10/08
D final 4/24/09
xH remarried (not OW) 2012
O
O
You could categorize me as your typical guy, very visual, very attracted to pretty young women (from a looking perspective, not cheating). But as I've gotten older (and wiser), I find myself attracted to lots of different women, different ages, different looks, etc...

I think I've figured out that the common thread is being "pulled together" and having a lot of self-confidence. There is only so much you can do with what God gave you (and don't get me wrong -- do everything you can with that -- exercise, eat right, etc...). But, at the end of the day, be really happy with that, and go out there with an attitude that you're hot, and you will be. By pulled together, I just mean don't go out or shopping in sweats, looking frumpy, etc... Put on something casual nice that works for you and then go out there and work it the best you can. Put on some make-up (if needed) and do your hair, but don't worry about that too much. Just be confident in who you are -- I find that very attractive. Look people in eye, smile a lot, flirt a little, and be confident you're the best you can be. Strike up a conversation with a stranger -- I'm shy, but have done that recently and I get some great responses.

I find myself more attracted to a woman's attitude these days than the physical features. Just my opinion...

Me-44, W-45
Together-25 yrs, Married-21 yrs
D-17,S-15,D-13,S-10
ILYBNILWY Bomb: 10/2007
My Story
Hoosier, I am older than you but the things I did was pilates--fantastic for posture, and if you hold yourself better you look taller therefore slimmer and it also did wonders for me for the old aches and pains I was getting.
It was quite strenuose(sp) then I had a bit of a car accident so took up yoga and am still doing that Hatha Yoga that is a good all round practise. I love it and it's changed my whole attitude to life.

I also went and got a free makeover at a make-up counter( not sure if I can say which one but go for one of the better make-up people-I used clinque)I don't use much make up but I had had the same stuff and colours for years.Money is tight for me so I didn't actually buy any but put a good foundadtion on my C,mas list and a few other bits.

I also had a person who did my "colours". You forget as you age your skin tone changes and what used to suit whilst it may still be ok,fresh eyes can really show you which colours look great on you.Rather than change my wardrobe again cost, I bought some scarves from a charity shop and have gradually replaced items in my wardrobe. So you can all this stuff on a budget.

I find it I think I look good I act in a different way.
I am not overweight but do have a tum so I am careful about styles and try to exercise but apart from dance and yoga not a gym person.
I hope this gives you a few ideas.

HI Sandi, just gone back and read page one, sorry I hadn't realised this was your thread but I guess what I posted can apply to us all.
How are your goals going. It's easier in the summer to be proactive with these things. I find in the winter months it is so much harder to keep the momentum going,especially when it's dark early and cold outside.

I guess your busy with chapter two of your novel,

T
T
Great thread, Sandi!

Maybe you can link it in your signature so more people will see it.

^

sg
Love is PATIENT, love is KIND, LOVE never fails / DB since 2001
H
H
Thanks, OTE. I had forgotten I posted anything here! I appreciate your perspective so much!!

I gotta lose weight. At work, I never have time to eat lunch--so that should be helping!! Aside from that, need more exercise. I hate exercise! It's soooo much harder when you're heavy. Hopefully soon I'll be able to afford the Y and can take a Pilates class, which I've always wanted to do.

M60
H52
D20
M14 yrs
OW-old gf from 1986
bomb-5/18/08
H filed for D-9/10/08
D final 4/24/09
H
H
Thanks, naej. I forgot about this thread! Actually I bought a makeup lesson from the local makeup artist at our church's silent auction back in May. I bid on that sucker the past 5 years, never made it, but this year my guardian angel was keeping those with deep pockets away from signing that sheet, I guess! I have a couple days off work later in the month, maybe I can make the appointment. Might give me confidence when I hit my preliminary divorce hearing.

M60
H52
D20
M14 yrs
OW-old gf from 1986
bomb-5/18/08
H filed for D-9/10/08
D final 4/24/09
Hossier,

Hoorah for your guardian angel! That is so cool that you get to meet with a makeup artist. I'm envious!

My little addition to the wonderful things everyone else has already mentioned is to remember that it takes a few weeks to get the hang of a new hairstyle of makeup technique. Be patient with yourself and be persistant. Don't give up just because you can't seem to get the hang of it, or it takes you too long at first. Keep at it. Before you know it your new way of doing "whatever" will be second nature.

Most of us are about as happy as we make up our minds to be.

My first link
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard