Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
D
D
Ken,

I was 7 when my parents seperated. I spent alot of time hoping they would get back together. I never truely accepted it until the D was finalized and that was the only time I was upset at my mom. I remember her getting it in the mail and being happy it was over. I on the other hand was devistated because I knew we would never be a family again. I think I knew before that but at that moment it hit home. Not that my mom meant anything by it and she more than likely never knew how I felt but it hurt. Now that I am having marital problems and dealing with all this crap I understand and you and A understand better than I what she must have felt.

With your D being 3 it will make it a little bit easier I think because she wont remember her parents being together. But keep in mind anything you do to your STBXW or say about your STBXW or any of your family and friends say about her and your D over hears will hurt badly. I over heard a conversation that someone was talking about my mom and I know it was just to help my dad but the kids don't understand any of that and no matter how happy we look or are feeling any negativity from either side about the other hurts the kids.

So my advice is this.

1) Tell all your friends, family members whomever when your D is around either do not mention your STBX or if they do bring her up make sure nothing bad is said about her. There is plenty of time when she will not be around that you can discuss yours and their true fellings about her.

2) Plan on spending as much time with her as possible when you have her. It does not matter what you are doing. Some of the best memories of my dad is cutting the grass and hedges and painting the house with him. Was it work, yes but it was time with him and when we were done he always would do fun stuff with us. Shoot hoops or play American Football or whatever. I know girls are different but you get my drift. I remember the first beer my dad gave us after cutting the grass, worst tasting stuff I ever drank, I think I was 13 or 14 at the time.

3) Most important is to keep in contact with her when you are not with her. Call her, email her when she is older. Always let her know you love her. Any important dates or events that you cannot see her call. Even if you think it is insignificant its not to her. Also let her know that none of what is happening between you and your STBX is her fault and this is not just a one time deal. Its how I felt and wondered if it was me or something I did so reassure her that its not.

4) Learn to be civil to your STBX. My parents still cannot be in the same room together. That is the only area I see that they did a lousy job with after the D. You will have birthday parties, graduations, weddings and then grandkids where the both of you will be together. Don't make her chose one or the other or make the event stressful because the both of you are still holding grudges for over 20 years. I gave up and was like let them fight it out but it does suck when one is at this end of the house and the other is over there and your trying to have a nice birthday for you D. (really happened at my D 1st birthday she didn't notice but the rest of us did) Your two are stuck together for the rest of your lives so after all the pain and heartache goes away, shelve it and move on for her sake if nothing else.

5) Do not introduce anybody into their lives too soon. Remember they are still hoping that you will get back together so give them time to deal and get over all the hurt and pain. Plus think of the example you are setting if you keep bringing new people into her life over and over again.

Thats my words of advice from a child of D that watch it all the good, the bad and the ugly. I survived as you, A and MFT kids will but it is just as bad for them as it is for you and they are alot younger and do not understand all the ways of us grown-ups.

Take care,

Tim

Thread #10
M
M
Thank you distressed, that was very helpful for me personally as we move toward D. I dont know your sitch, but your insight is some valuable stuff.

Married 6 years
D4
D4
S2
seperated: 7/15/08
Dbomb: 9/21/08
status: seperated in same home, meeting with mediator moving toward D
current thread
L
L
Tim, your post is everything I have been rallying against. I have S9 and D6 and I can't even imagine the pain they are going through because of my mistakes and W's selfish behavior. I am trying to be the best Dad I can be through all of this to protect them from the hurt of D. Wish my W would open her eyes to what her A and OM is doing to our children.

M42
S12/D9
T17/M12
Bomb 1 3/22/06
Bomb 2 7/11/08
Bomb 3 7/31/08
W Filed 8/1/08
D granted 12/17/08
D Finalized 1/29/09

A man who compromises his principles never had them in the first place.
D
D
It does suck when a parent is blind to what they are doing to the children. They hurt just as much as the parents only they have no control over any of it and have very little experience on how to handle them. I know I buried those feeling pretty deep and never expressed them to either one of my parents.

You cannot control your W actions unfortuntely so you will have to do the best that you can.

I had a friend whose mom had a revolving door of BF after she got D. I remember him talking about eating breakfast and some guy he never knew coming out of his moms bedroom. So yea I understand what you are saying.

Sorry for taking over your thread A.

Thread #10
A
Arthur Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hey Tim, fine taking over, especially with information that is beneficial to me also.

Yeah, I'm all for kids first and if OW objects, well she would come off second best in that one. She is a busy woman however, so I can't see that happening or becoming an issue. It's real tough on the kids, but I got to the point where I could fight no more because of them, I deserve some happiness and I think even if my STBX wanted to try again, I'd be the WAS inside 6 months. All the time, remiscing, looking back, I've clung to my STBX for the wrong reasons.

Stayed at OW's last night. She was not to well, but said I could come round and came out and she picked me up. I did say if she just wanted to stay in by herself I was ok and she was like, no it's ok, if you don't mind just watching TV, it's up to you. So it was a bit like, she wouldn't say either way.

Women out they - Does that mean she wanted me there ? or not ?

I never know what to do in that spot.

So, it was ok evening, had some food then just chilled and she went to bed so I followed. I'm not sure if she has just been un well since Tuesday as she definitely seems a little different to last weekend. Really can't work out if she is that bothered or not so gonna start DBing a little. Going a little dark, being busy if she wants to see me (difficult as so busy that might mean not seeing her for a long time), not replying to texts so quickly and see if she chases at all.

So not used to this dating, might need to find some info about getting back in the game as I'm honestly lost of where I'm at and don't like that.

G
GFI Offline
G
Hi there Arthur - I recommend "No More Mr Nice Guy" for a spot of reading...this might help you with your current predicament...

Best - GFI

Me: 40ish
W: 40ish
Together: 20 ish years
Married: 10ish Years

A
Arthur Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted By: GFI
Hi there Arthur - I recommend "No More Mr Nice Guy" for a spot of reading...this might help you with your current predicament...

Best - GFI

Good shout sir, going to Amazon now to check that out. I definitely am OTT when I like someone and need to back off. Left that she would ring me, so I must be strong and leave it as that.

W
W
A,

Quote:

Straight up - It sounds like you're a booty call. You've seen this gal twice, yes? Spent the night both nights? IMHO this got casual awfully quick which can be nice. BUT it's falling into some kind of an R too quickly. Be careful.

I think it's too early to share other thoughts rattling around my head....

AO

A
Arthur Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted By: alpha.omega62
A,

Quote:

Straight up - It sounds like you're a booty call. You've seen this gal twice, yes? Spent the night both nights? IMHO this got casual awfully quick which can be nice. BUT it's falling into some kind of an R too quickly. Be careful.

I think it's too early to share other thoughts rattling around my head....

AO

Well, it's 3 times if you count we met Sat night, but I was a gent and said I didn't want to sleep (do the do) with her the first night.

Tuesday we went for a meal, got a little drunk and did sleep together. How strong can a man be when not had any for 8 months and a size 8 woman stips off to get into bed ???!!!

Then last night just slept as she is poorly.

I'm not sure she is the type for just a 'booty call' (I'm assuming that means F buddy for a while yes ?). She very proper etc, but I could be wrong. Either way, I'm not overly concerned just like to know where she's at. She did insist on picking me up last night for nothing other than company so it's definitely not just a sex thing I'm sure.

Women, I really have no idea !!!

Oh - Feel free to share all thoughts !!!

Last edited by Arthur; 10/03/08 11:59 AM.
D
D
Your asking a bunch of DAM's with marital problems for advice on women are you nuts.

If we knew anything about what they were thinking or feeling or doing we would not be here.

Thread #10
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard