Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
(((((Hugs)))))

That is for all of you.

How horrible!

I don't know what to say about this...if it is out of character for the dog it could have been many things, like a triggered prey instinct or maybe even some kind of deficiency. I had thought that maybe there was something wrong with the kitten...you might consider talking to a vet or animal behaviorist.

(((((Hugs again)))))
SG

Survival Goddess
"The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don't have any." -Alice Walker

(((((Hugs)))))

That is for all of you.

How horrible!

I don't know what to say about this...if it is out of character for the dog it could have been many things, like a triggered prey instinct or maybe even some kind of deficiency. I had thought that maybe there was something wrong with the kitten...you might consider talking to a vet or animal behaviorist.

(((((Hugs again)))))
SG

Survival Goddess
"The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don't have any." -Alice Walker

B
B
Lodo, you cracked us up with the gerbil story. Funny how peoples' brains work at times like that.

BigHands #1591517 09/14/08 05:54 AM
Wellllllllll, my brother's dog ate his bird once. The bird was gone but, there were a few feathers hanging out of the dogs mouth.......ICK!!!

Anyway, just have your baboo put his fleece jammies on and cuddle up with the hardies.

And...it doesn't sound like the dog is normally vicious but I'd still call a vet or dog trainer and get some insight as to why this may have happened before making any decisions about the dog.

Hugs to all of you and especially Hardy#2.

qoe100 #1591532 09/14/08 07:27 AM
Oh Fig, I am sorry. Please don't have your dog put down unless the agression continues.
This is a natural thing for dogs. You should never leave young kittens around dogs.
The dog has just had a move to contend with, maybe he has been abit neglected and then the cat had kittens, so lots of attention for cat and kittens-maybe a bit of jealousy there.
Understandable he isn't keen on BH right now depends how severe the punishment was.
If the aggression continues and is very out of character it could be the dog is ill- possibly a tumour.
My dog is over 100 pounds and a real gentle giant but he gets a little jealous when I have my g/son.
Re enforce your position as alpha male in the pack and lots of love and affection.
The dog will have forgotten kitten inciddent shortly after. Just a life lessson for Hardy. It's hardy but happens. Please don't let it affect his love for the dog or animals in general.Afterall the kitten would have grown up and killed and eaten lots of animals smaller than herself. Survival of the fittest.
Always remember however pampered, however good the pedigree a dog is a step away from a wolf.
That said I would never be without one, my life would be so much poorer without my best friend.

naej #1591550 09/14/08 12:08 PM
W
W
There's been a lot of environmental changes for the dog and animals do take a while to adjust. Unfortunately we can't discuss it with them so they understand, they just have to find their groove.

Is this BH's dog? Sounds more like it's Fig's so there could be a loyalty issue - if Fig had done the correcting it most likely would have gone down differently.

The dog likely has no idea why he was hit, since he was doing what dogs do. So, yeah, he's going to react, snap. If he had continued to go after BH, I would be concerned. A snap is a warning and he was defending himself.

Hard lesson to learn, but it is why animals hide their litters. Sorry your son had to witness this.

If the family can't get past it, rehome the dog. IMHO this was a difficult situation, from history you've shared, not a temperament problem.

AO

lodo #1591553 09/14/08 12:26 PM
E
E
Quote:
My sister and I started screaming and my mom grabbed the hamster and flushed it down the toilet. I'm not sure why - she wasn't so good in emergencies.

And what did she do with vicious goldfish??

ernest88 #1591598 09/14/08 02:24 PM
F
fig Offline OP
OP Offline
F
SO this morning we had to go ona kitty hunt

moonfluff took and hid the remaining 3 kittens

of course she hid them in the hardys' room!!!

we just followed the sound or meowing

i will be working with the kids and shorty today after i work with shorty on my own

shorty has been hiding out

so he knows he is in trouble

everytime i look out at him, he lays down and turns his head

i thinkk he is trying to show me his belly but is too chubby to roll over

he is part sheltie and part jack russel so a herding ratter he would be

we will see how it goes

regardless

he is outside indefinately...

for now

fig #1591608 09/14/08 02:52 PM
G
G
fig,
((hugs)) to hardy2, the kitties, and even your poor dog. Sounds like MommaCat has worked out a new game plan. If you do decide to take this dog to the pound, please make sure they have the full history. I'm sure your vet can assist, as well. Here in Portland, pets are often re-homed using that craig guy's list. Good luck.

goldeylox #1591673 09/14/08 05:59 PM
F
fig Offline OP
OP Offline
F
he is all showing belly today so I think we will be fine

i looked up as much dog info as I can and it looks like you all were right here...

instinctual

and

nto a viscious attack

blech

we talked about the circle of life and are having a movie and pj day

we are renaming all the kittens the names of people who went into hiding

Anne Frank
Dali Lama

and
poor moonfluff keeps seraching for the lost kitty

siiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8