Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11
OP Offline
Good Sunday Morning Friends!

The Delta Breeze has been gently blowing and the moon was her normal silvery self last night instead of the angry orange she has been all week.

Does anyone remember this song?

And I think it's gonna be alright
Yeah, the worst is over now
The mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball

And there haven't been any fires in my immediate county...just the neighboring ones.

GAL Adventures
Last night and the night before I went out with a girlfriend to the art openings in our town and the neighboring town. (Second Friday and Second Saturday)

It was fun just to get out and about and walk around. Of course there is wine at these things...afterwards we sat on the patio of a local Bistro and listened to an owl screeching in a nearby tree. We had Margaritas Friday night and wine Saturday. Each night I practiced being more open and outgoing to talk to various people...Ended up having 2 conversations w/ 2 different men I don't know. So that is good! According to Dr. Henry Cloud an important step in meeting the right person is to meet a lot of people and practice being open and accessible with them. I have been a little bit of a cave dweller lately, in spite of the fun trips I have been on. I have been either with old familiar friends or by myself. So it was good to get out and about and mingle!

On of the shows was at a Foundry and included many metal work pieces. It was inspirational, and I am going to try to get back into metal working. I have worked as a silversmith in the past and also have done some casting, forging, and manufacturing of bronze and copper art while in college. I really enjoy banging on a red hot piece of copper rod with a mallet and an anvil and then plunging it into the water to cool it off. I am feeling the need to create something 3-D and tangible again.

Had a wonderful morning w/ the wonderdog yesterday. Took him with me all morning as we went to garage sales and farmers market. He was well behaved and friendly. He even waited patiently at market while I did my shopping. No barking or whining! A first! He is nearly ready for his Canine Good Citizen which is hopefully the first of many...

Speaking of the wonder puppy he is whining at me...I guess it is time to get off the 'puter and go for a walk.

Hope everyone has a wonderful week!

SG

Survival Goddess
"The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don't have any." -Alice Walker

P
P
Hi SG:

I love reading about your GAL adventures! \:\)

Quote:
According to Dr. Henry Cloud an important step in meeting the right person is to meet a lot of people and practice being open and accessible with them. I have been a little bit of a cave dweller lately, in spite of the fun trips I have been on. I have been either with old familiar friends or by myself. So it was good to get out and about and mingle!

You have always been a few steps ahead of me. I am trying to get out more and meet lots of people. I have spent far too much time hanging out in my hermit habitat and am either alone or with the same group of people when I do go out.

My latest GAL is signing up for a two day 40 mile breast cancer walk in Charlotte. Okay the group is mostly women - but perhaps there will be men there that want to meet women. In any case, training for the walk will get me back in shape.

Quote:
I am feeling the need to create something 3-D and tangible again.

Good luck with your new projects. I think fulfilling these types of needs provides a sense of accomplishment and enhances that feel good high.

Give your puppy lots of snuggles on my behalf. He is adorable.

take care,
AG

K
K
Hey SG
Love reading about all the things you do! You really have GALed big time! I remember when I first read that coming to the boards and thinking HOW does one GAL without their H? ha! well we sure learned how right??

Dont blame you on the eharmony thing, actually wasnt impressed w/ it, I did meet a really great guy there , we are still friends, but not crazy about the format. When the time is right, its right.

I hope you have a great week, and look forward to reading more of your GAL adventures! \:\)

Be Happy for this Moment,
This Moment is your Life

OP Offline
Happy Thursday Friends!

Well, so far this week has been fairly productive. A colleague sent a nice contract job my way...webmaster/marketing that I can do from home. It is part time and completely flexible which is perfect for me right now.

I spent all day Monday applying for a job 4 hours away. I took a page from Figgie's book and decided to widen my net. Truth be told I don't really want to move from here unless it is to a shore-side community somewhere where I could walk to the beach every day! The job I applied for is one that would be perfect for me except that it is in a community that I wouldn't be very thrilled to live in...except that it is 3 hours closer to DD. The good thing about doing that application is that it forced me to get some other important paperwork together, so I am ready for other applications as they come up.

Next Tuesday I am going to a workshop for Women Entrepreneurs and I may end up taking a course. I feel like I need some guidance in writing a business plan and marketing my skills. Really best case scenario would be I get a "real" job and use that time to prepare for making the freelance switch. Still on the line for that job of my dreams w/ International Publishing Company... these things take SO LONG and it is hard to just cool my heels and wait. Closer to home there is yet another job I am on the line for with my local school district, but there seems to be quite a few artificial barriers being thrown in my path. This particular job is one that when it was vacated by the previous person many many people including the director in charge told me that I would be perfect for it. As a matter of fact, it is really the only full time position in the district that I am interested in having. However, I do not have a teaching credential and I am not CLAD certified. I have a Master's in Education. This position does not involve teaching children, which is what a credential is supposed to be for. Catch 22. The posting requires a teaching credential. So we shall see. This is one example of why ultimately I want to get out of the public sector.

As far as GAL goes...I had dinner last night at a friends house. It was a "Women's night" and there were 7 women. I was on the young end of the group, several were in their 70's. Lot's of discussion of children and grandchildren and upcoming weddings. \:D

My own kids seem to be doing well, however S is in the middle of roommate drama and needs to find somewhere new to live. I am sad for him because I loved his place and his neighborhood in SF. He is handling it admirably on his own and I am proud of him for dealing with it. DD is doing well in her classes and taking little trips all over SoCal on the weekends and so is enjoying her summer in SLO.

So, the sky is blue again and the sun is shining!
Have a great day/week/life!

SG

Survival Goddess
"The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don't have any." -Alice Walker

Hey SG,

Nice to hear the sun is shining in your part of the world. It is gorgeous here too and despite the fact the weather report called for rain all week - there have only been blue skies and lots of sunshine.

I want to join a women's group. I have my minis group which is good (though we do have one male). I want my Singles Friends Club. Guess I'll have to start it up myself this fall.

Love reading how you are GALing. I give you lots of credit. I'd love to live in a Seaside town too. Not much chance of that unless I win the lottery. Speaking of that - must go check tickets. Then off to the travel show.

Later,

Barb

OP Offline
Happy Friday Morning Friends!

Well what do you know, it is the weekend already!

Last night the wonder puppy and I went to Rally practice. Through PSLuke we found a wonderful trainer and facility. I am more and more pleased each day. The trainer gets a kick out of telling people we met through a virtual friendship. Argo did really well, was very well behaved and happy the whole time, wagging his magnificent tail!

The facility is out in the country and when I left the sun was setting on the western horizon and the full moon was rising...our 2 closest celestial bodies on opposite sides of the table, which is what happens during a full moon. There were huge flocks of water birds flying about over the rice fields. Lovely!

Someone on e-harmony responded to my questions...that I sent back in March! LOL! I am about to let the subscription run out, which happens August 1.

I am in the middle of trying to get my home office more functional. I have the hardest time with paper! As an information worker, plus an incurable book worm, I have paper, ideas, files, books, notebooks, sticky notes, pens, cards, you name it everywhere and anywhere. Sheesh.

Well the weather is much nicer. Thank goodness.

Hey, if any of you newbies are reading this, I am here to tell you that life does indeed get better...just keep plugging away and eventually you will find that you have really moved on and are building your new life.

Take care all,

SG

Survival Goddess

F
fig Offline
F
i love sticky notes everywhere.

When I try to clean it all up I end up losing tons of info

blech

OP Offline
Hi Ms. Fig!

Yeah, it seems like I go through this every summer. Piles on tables in every room of the house, each pile with a sticky note (or sheet of colored paper) identifying what it contains. Then when school starts I scoop up all the piles into one GIANT pile and do the filing by layer system!

Last night I took a tour through the archives and read some of my old threads. The oldest ones are gone...for better or worse! LOL!
I joined the board in 2003 after I found out about OGIRL the first time. It took me a while to figure out where the best place for me to post was. I started (I think) in infidelity and then sexual issues and finally found my home in MLC until I moved here. I read one thread that I wrote while the kids were still at home, DD was in Crew and a Senior in HS, I was in Grad School, and I was dealing with XH. I just am amazed at how busy I was! No wonder I was able to detach! It is funny how reading about all that brings back some strong emotions. And also, remembering how different the boards seemed to me at the time. Maybe it is the same for the newbies now...but I think there are a LOT more people in general using the boards.

I also was able to clearly remember all the hurt, anger, and hope for my M that I was experiencing at the time.

With the help of the board and with my counselor I was able to figure out that the problems in my M went much deeper than MLC and were not fixable by me. Nor was my M a M worth saving.

Looking around now my life is so much different. And even if my H decided to get into therapy and fix his serious problems I know now that there is something so much better out there for me.

And that is my wish for all of you who find yourselves here. Love being boring! Take things day by day. And eventually you will find yourself in a much happier place. I promise!

SG

Survival Goddess

Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard