Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
OP Offline
Ha ha!

Well, 7 hours on my feet is nothing new, I get that from teaching. Only it is a different kind of energy in the classroom, and a different kind of tired.

My earworm was "Little Boxes" because I had also finished a "Weeds" marathon. But yeah, Young at Heart was awwssome!

SG

Survival Goddess
"The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don't have any." -Alice Walker

P
P
Hi SG:

Loved reading about your new job! I love reading about your GAL adventures - they make me smile.

Quote:
The C thought that I have a habit of falling into relationships with people who are emotionally unavailable (EX, CG) because of the relationship w/ my mom. Of course I made the mistake of calling my mom "emotionally unavailable" to my sister, which sparked a whole meaningless debate w/ her about what exactly is the problem with Mom and Me. I tried to get out of it, knew it was a mistake the minute I opened my mouth, I just had mentioned it in reference to my patterns of behavior, and it really had nothing to do with mom, but oh well.

I can relate. My siblings and I are in the middle of a temporary R hiatus. Everytime I open my mouth about any impact my R with my mother had on me and/or have a disagreement with my mother and well my siblings and I go on a R hiatus! And my mother shakes her head and is very disappointed in me (and my siblings) - b/c well that turns into she is a failure as a mother b/c her children fight. LOL! And then she says it causes her anxiety attacks and headaches and then it affects her health.

It use to bother me at one time. I recognize the pattern now and know that it will "pass" with time and we will resume diplomtic relations w/o any discussion of what happened or why we are talking again.

The only chanage I have made is that I detach and just move away from it all for awhile till it blows over. In the past I use to get upset and escalate the situation. I no longer try to work through it b/c there is no point.

And yes, my R with my mother has affected my R choices in life. I hope I have changed myself enough to attract people into my life that I can take emotional risks with and that care enough to work through these issues with me - instead of the elephant in the living room approach. But my upbringing in deeply ingrained in me - it is a challenge. Constructive confrontation is really hard.

take care,
AG

OP Offline
Hi AG!

Thanks for writing. Somehow I knew you would be one to relate to my tale...The thing is, I dearly love my sister, and I love my mother too...we just have a horrible dynamic that has to do with the two of us. It is a completely different dynamic than the one my sister and my mom have. Sigh. There is a REASON I don't live in Chicago!
Tho if I did I would be able to see my Midwest DB buddies...but that is a different story.

My GAL adventures, continued:

Well I worked the whole weekend. It really was a lot of fun in some ways. Many years ago, before I even met H I had worked a LOT in Food Service. I really know the restaurant business pretty well, but decided at my last foodie job that I would "Never Waitress Again!" Famous last words, right! \:D

Well I remember what I like about it. And I remember what I don't like about it. There is something really satisfying about getting the orders out and working on a team and getting through the breakfast or lunch rush with out any disasters! The work is really "obvious" and by that I mean there is always something to do and it is always obvious what needs to be done! When in doubt clean, or take out the trash, or fill containers of stuff...It just takes being mindful and being observant. The crew I worked with were all really nice, they all have/had day jobs as well. A network designer, an English professor, etc. Too bad they were all married! LOL! But just bantering with people and taking orders helps me hone my people skills.

I saw many, many jumps and landings. There were multiple formation jumps and also tandem jumps. It was amazing watching people surf the air currents and glide in circles just like eagles! And when they landed, the jumpers strode right by my counter on their way to the hangar. I have never seen so MANY faces infused with JOY! These guys and gals may be risk takers, but they sure enjoy what they are doing! I have been meaning to look up some statistics on Skydiving...I really have no idea how dangerous it is compared to other sports. My daughter jumps horses and that can be quite dangerous...I know a certain someone on the boards here whose husband is a surfer. I think the key is to be aware and as safe as you can be in your chosen sport.

I came this close to doing a tandem jump. But I decided to save that for another day. Watching how they soar, float, surf and dance in the air made me want to revive my yoga practice. My yoga has been replaced by a walk and run the dog practice...I am still getting plenty of activity a day and am fairly fit. I do need to get stronger in my upper body and start up again so that when I do my tandem jump I will be flexible enough to enjoy the ride! So I went to a great class yesterday and am going to another one tonight. Also scheduled a massage for tomorrow.

Somehow a lot of the self care fell by the wayside over the last few months. Bad SG! Must never let that happen again!

I hope everyone is enjoying the summer! My area is being slammed with fires. The whole Central Valley is blanketed in smoke. The air quality is terrible, the sky looks yellow...well, the Sacramento Bee is calling it brown...

It is one of those unsafe air days. You can smell the smoke in the air around here.

hope we get some wind soon.

Take care all!

SG

Survival Goddess
"The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don't have any." -Alice Walker

P
P
Good WeeBitAfterNoon SG!

I love my mother and family too. But they cause huge amounts of angst b/c of our very screwed R dynamics. It is very conflicting and completely out of my control. I did better with them when I lived far away too! LOL! But such is life - I use to get upset and feel like it was somehow my fault when we had these R hiatus's resulting from some conflict. Now I enjoy the time away! Less drama - very peaceful \:o

Quote:
I came this close to doing a tandem jump.

My friends talked me into doing a tandem jump about 20 years ago. And I did research on risk and I was nervous all day before the jump. But when I actually did it - I forgot all my fears. It is wonderful. You feel like you are flying. It is very fast and very windy.

I am afraid of heights - you are so far above the ground - that the height part is not a big deal.

The freakiest thing is watching the people in front of you just "whoosh" disappear through the opening! LOL! And in my case, the instructor had to anchor his feet below and hold on above - and I was literally dangling from the tandem on his chest!

I don't think you really need to be fit. You just have to keep your wits about you, relax and enjoy the ride. You have to make sure you follow instructions and hold your position. And watch your feet on the landing - I did a butt landing myself! LOL! You feel like you are being jerked up and back when the chute opens. The parachuting part is okay - just feels very slow after the freefall!

And yes hire someone to jump with you with the camera on their head so they can videotape your jump! I lost my tape - but it was really cool.

Okay - can you tell I loved it and highly recommend it!

Glad you hear you are getting back on track with the self care.

I read about the fires. Hope the wind has blown away the smoke in the other direction.

take care,
AG

OP Offline
Thanks AG!

I had a VERY nice long massage yesterday. Then I think I slept 10 hours last night! LOL!

The MT gave me a compliment on "the definition in my calves"... which felt good. All that walking is good for something! I still feel like my upper body could use some toning and strengthening. I don't like feeling like I am not as fit as I could be.

There is still smoke in the air. I will be driving away from it today when I go to the Central Coast to visit my Dear Daughter.

My local skydive place is one of the ones recommended by the USPA.

It looks like the tandems are "relatively safe"...

I am thinking that it will happen sometime later this summer.

SG

Survival Goddess

Quote:
I am thinking that it will happen sometime later this summer.

You go girl! It is something I would like to do one day… you first \:D

Great rebound from your experience with CG (selfish B@st@rd that he was ) ok I get to say that because you need to be in a healthy move forward mode as you have been. If a person is not healthy enough for a relationship, once he figures it out, he/she should not mess with someone else's feelings.

Goddess, you continue to exhibit an attitude and approach worth imitating so keep it up. Just as I typed the last sentence, it reminded me of the advice by Myles Monroe (from DivorceCare). He emphasized becoming content in our singleness, to become whole (although he was using different terminology) and then to continue that wholeness into a relationship. This was echoed in a different way by a Pastor’s wife who missed her husband but who learned to look at God as her true husband.

These are just some concepts I have blended together for me and they help me to focus on living the most fulfilling life I can, as you are the poster child for such a proactive life. My best friend and I talk about living a life so focused on serving God that we are not preoccupied about our future wives and then at some point, she will be in our view and we'll wonder how that happened.

So girlfriend, keep it up!!!! There is a guy out there who will be so blessed by you and your calves and as you keep active, he will have the better opportunity to find you.

A song by the Clark Sisters is now playing and I'm thinking of you, it is entitled, "Blessed and Highly favored" and it just somehow seems appropriate for so many of us on the board but I think, particularly you.

Have a blessed day and an awesome weekend.

Committed2Him- "C2H"
All Things (Back from Spain!)...18
OP Offline
Hi C2H,

Thanks for the encouragement!

My weekend was indeed awesome, as I spent it with one of my most favoritist people in the whole wide world, my daughter! The drive down to SLO was uneventful, but the sky remained brown almost all the way there. Turns out that there is a fire at Big Sur also. Luckily no fires in SLO county. Yay!

My DD is starting her second year in her off campus apartment. Her former roommate moved out, taking with her the table, the TV, the coffee table, the kitchen clock, many dishes and utensils and the INTERNET! So my main mission was to get DD back online. She had told me that the only internet game in town was cable internet from a company called Charter. But I still went through the phone book and called all the numbers, hoping to get someone local. Well it turns out she was right. We ended up going to the local office, because every time I called the number in the book, it ended up going to some company called "Wave" in Washington state!

The office visit was uneventful. The gal gave us the "self-install" kit, which I was confident I could handle with ease. The instructions were to set it up, then call the 888 number so they could ping the MAC address and turn on the connection. Easy, right?

WELL

DD has no land line. So I was calling the 888 number from my cell phone. The first time I got through, the person on the other end of the line could not find our order in the records. Then he asked me where San Luis Obispo was. He seemed completely baffled when I said "Central Coast". We were then disconnected, and I tried again. The second time I got through, the person again couldn't find us, he thought I was in Washington state, and then he asked me if I was in the Sacramento area. (Northern California, about 300 miles from SLO) He transferred me to someone else, and this third person knew what was going on. By calling from my cell, I was being routed to this other company based in Washington state which had recently acquired a Sacramento area cable company. By this time I had spent over an hour on the phone with no results. The third guy suggested that we find someone with a cell with a local area code to call the 888 number and thus bypass the robot intelligence that determined that we live in Sacto.

So DD found a friend with a local cell phone the next day and it took all of 10 minutes. Yay! \:D

We also went to the Goodwill warehouse and found her a dining table and a coffee table. Scored and got both for under $30.

We ALSO saw FOUR movies in THREE nights! a new world record, but 2 of them were at the drive in.

She has a summer job as a barista at a coffee shop walking distance to her apt. So while she was at work I took the wonder dog to the beach...15 minutes away. Nothing like doing nothing and watching the waves and smelling the clean, smoke free air!

*sigh*

I did many loads of laundry for her, and gave our ancient 20 year old kitty some special love. D and I laughed a lot and had a great time.

Came back, spent a day getting caught up around here and then went back to the beach today with my girlfriend and her teenage daughter! It was chilly and foggy, but what can I say...it was the beach!

Got a little too much sun, but that's OK.

I am tired and happy.

Take care all,

SG

Survival Goddess

F
fig Offline
F
sounds wonderful

OP Offline
The wonder dog and I just got back from our first Rally Class. This is with the trainer I met through our old virtual friend Ms. PSLuke.

Argo did absolutely great! The facility is lovely, out in the country with big flocks of geese flying about. The drive home gave me wide open views all around...the sun was setting and the sky was actually sort of a normal sunset color instead of the pink/red/brown we have been having because of all the fires.

I bet I get Argo at least a RN by the end of the year! \:D

SG

Survival Goddess

OP Offline
PS:

Rally

Woof!

SG

Survival Goddess

Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard