Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 14 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
F
F
Originally Posted By: Astimegoeson
Time to pull out the silk shirt....

Well, you can tell by the way I use my walk, I'm a woman's man: no time to talk.

Ah, ha, ha, ha, stayin' alive, stayin' alive......

ROFL!!! oh man!!

S
S
tom, is ow the young chick you were talking about????

lol about the disco party. ya gotta post a picture. if you happen to have an old 8 track tape and player tucked away, you'll be a hero. \:\)

hey, could be worse. I hear 80s ones are all the rage now. sigh. I probably still have a pair of acid washed jeans packed away in a box somewhere. not that I could squeeze into them, but they are there, somewhere.

M-41
H-38
M-10 years, T-14 years
Bomb-PA 3/19/07
Separated-6/7/07
Piecing/h back home 5/08
S-6
S-4
D-4

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is that little voice at the end of the day that says, 'I'll try again tomorrow.'"

-Mary Anne Radmacher
Quote:
Maybe I'm jaded - Ya think? Heck, how can we not be? I didn't think trust issues were a problem for me until someone wants to get too close.

We never even discussed divorce in my Catholic School religion classes. It was one of those taboos. In retrospect, it was an injustice to not even touch on the subject. They gave us rose colored glasses when they discussed Marriage in terms of the "sacred" bond. Kind of like how they give you 3d glasses when you go to see a 3d movie. Have you ever watched a 3d movie without the glasses? Pretty distorted, isn't it?

Yeah, it's really weird isn't it? I never saw myself in this position. Growing up everyone I knew was Catholic and no one was divorced. It sounds silly but I have always thought of it as a sacred bond.

I'm not going to rely on what marriage is suppose to represent anymore, I'm going to learn what it takes to make a relationship last and that's what I'm going to practice.

AMEN!!!

I've learned much since the days of Religion class. I probably would have been better served to take more human psychology courses.

Or maybe you should have studied Monkey's

L
L
Quote:
Time to pull out the silk shirt....

Well, you can tell by the way I use my walk, I'm a woman's man: no time to talk.

Ah, ha, ha, ha, stayin' alive, stayin' alive......

OMG I peeeeeed.

Tom you are gonna be looking FLY

Live Simply
Love Generously
Care Deeply
Speak Kindly
Leave the rest to God
B
B
Quote:
well, divorce is never going to be a big subject in catholic school religion classes. lord knows it wasn't in mine. marriage wasn't a big subject, either, come to think of it. fresh year was scripture, soph was morality, jr was catholic doctrine, and senior year, hmmm, can't quite remember what class that was now.

My senior year religion was "narriage and family living." H went to public school and dropped out before his senior year anyway. LOL

"You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." Jon Kabat-Zinn

Suzy
M: 6/22/85; D: 1/31/08
K
K
I had sixteen years of Catholic school, if you count the senior year of high school that I never finished. Discussions of marriage and sex were part of religion class during my sophomore year in high school.

As far as I'm concerned, marriage is a sacred bond. If it weren't, then I wouldn't need to consecrate it in a church, wouldn't need to take vows, etc.

Quote:
You know, marriage was not always a staple of civilized society regardless of what we have been taught. There were many successful civilizations throughout history where the concept of M would have been foreign.

I'm not an anthropologist or historian, but off the top of my head I don't know of any cultures which don't/didn't have the concept of marriage. I'd be interested to know more about them, if you could post some links to info sources on them.

People will choose for themselves in the US of A, at any rate. I went into my marriage believing that my ex-wife considered it to be a sacred, lifetime, exclusive bond. It seemed the most natural thing in the world to me. Now I will be much more careful about seeing how a woman lives her life, how she puts her religious and spiritual beliefs into action, before I get into any kind of capital "R" relationship. My ex-wife wasn't/isn't Catholic, but she never joined any congregation of any faith in all the time I knew her. Catholic is not a "requirement" for my next relationship, but an active religion is.

On a completely unrelated front, S15 joined us to watch Bill Murray in "Scrooge" and overdose on chocolate tonight. \:\)

Thanks,

Joe

My sitch
More importantly, Light A Million Candles
A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted By: koshka
I'm not an anthropologist or historian, but off the top of my head I don't know of any cultures which don't/didn't have the concept of marriage.

The ideal of "marriage" in ancient Rome was that of a mutual consent and didn't require the approval of the State or a religious institution. Same goes for ancient Greece. Divorce Lawyers back then would have starved to death!

The "contract" of marriage wasn't in existence until the medieval Christian church placed a higher significance and stature to it.

"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare."
-Mark Twain
A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted By: BethM
Or maybe you should have studied Monkey's

I agree we could learn allot about commitment and devotion from these primates.

"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare."
-Mark Twain
A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted By: Lissie
Tom you are gonna be looking FLY

http://www.starpulse.com/Movies/Saturday_Night_Fever/gallery/1638984/

-Mark Twain
A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted By: SallyM
lol about the disco party. ya gotta post a picture. if you happen to have an old 8 track tape and player tucked away, you'll be a hero. \:\)

Do you remember when custom Vans were the trend? I had one complete with shag carpet, panel walls, a fish eye window on the side, and a 8 track tape player.

My first 8 track tape was Steely Dan...

Way back when
In sixty-seven
I was the dandy
Of gamma chi
Sweet things from boston
So young and willing.......

-Mark Twain
Page 10 of 14 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard