Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Originally Posted By: Committed2Him
Man, I sound like a silly school boy don't I? (this week I might ask a friend to pass a note to one of her friends to ask "if she thinks I'm cute" LOL!!!!! )

Hey!!! I think you're "cyber" cute!!!! I'll email you later. Off to work for now!!!!

Who's your Daddy???

Oh boy C2 now you've done it!! There had better not be pictures cause if I find out that you're holding back on me well.......you know that won't be pretty!

Oh and Jill a little religion is exactly what you need. Forget about C2 I should be the shining exsmple that you would want to emulate.

OK babe I'm going to leave the converting to C2 since he is far better at that than I am, he knows of what he speaks! He sure has made a difference in my thinking as to how I want to live my life.

Love you guys..........

Bethie

OP Offline
Quote:
I have been shown over and over that serving others in need really takes my focus off of me, and how bad I think things are in my life. Instead of being down, I am continually filled with gratitude for all that I have in my life.
Such deep "blibbering" and hijacks are always welcome around these parts. Well said, Annie \:\)

Quote:
Hey!!! I think you're "cyber" cute!!!!
Oh no! First Karen, now you! I havee become the COM! (Cyber OM ) I am enjoying these little real world stretching and growing.

Quote:
He sure has made a difference in my thinking as to how I want to live my life.
I made you wanna spin on poles? I need to go back to the drawing board! LOL! Bethie, Annie said it best about taking the focus off our own situations really makes a difference. Even GALing is really about looking at what is out there rather than how we were "wronged."

You ladies (and sometimes the guys, cuz mostly we just wanna play and get messy) were heaven sent angels (ok the guys were "angels with dirty faces!") I think God is blessing so many of us because, though we were not perfect, we wanted to honor the vow we made before Him. Whether closely walking with God or not at the time of the wedding vows I would bet nearly everyone felt they were making a sacred vow at that time.

In the darkest times, we often reach out to God. Sometimes keep that close relationship with Him when the clouds lift. That is my prayer for my friends because I have found their is no better friend than the one who created us. \:\)

Committed2Him- "C2H"
All Things (Back from Spain!)...18
[quotIn the darkest times, we often reach out to God. Sometimes keep that close relationship with Him when the clouds lift. That is my prayer for my friends because I have found their is no better friend than the one who created us. \:\) [/quote]

This was very touching C2. I guess it really is human nature to want and then wane to some extent, afterall we are all imperfect beings. Well except for you. OK, OK but you're pretty close!

OP Offline
Bethie,

You know how it is as a parent (and think of God as a parent), we want good things for our kids, even when they don't see that the thing we want for them is really good.

Men's conference "nuggets"

I want to remember two things from the conference (church affiliated) I attended two Saturday's ago. Most of us know some of the 10 commandments and have likely seen the movie around Easter or Christmas. I know of them but I thought the first one portrayed God as a tad petty.

Quote:
Thou shalt have no other gods before me

I have also heard the Bible stating that God is a jealous God. It has been my desire to respect this and follow this commandment since becoming a Christian but it was more out of obligation because I am suppose to. At the conference, I had a bit of an epiphany.

The pastor said God is a jealous God and He wants us to have no other god (or idol) higher than Him. The reason: God knows no other god can satisfy us. For example, people make power, prestige, money, luxury items, an award or a title their god (even a marriage or saving a marriage can fall into this category). They pursue it, often put everything else below that goal including relationships, family, honesty, integrity etc. in a subservient position.

The sad truth is there are examples EVERYWHERE to prove that none of these things completely satisfy us. The attainment leaves us wanting just a little more, a little bigger, a little something or other.

In contrast, walking closely with God, hand in hand, so to speak, satisfies like nothing else can. The latest fill in the blank, (car, toy, fashion item, vacation spot) satisfies temporarily, but then what's next?

Now, I see that instead of having to have God with no other gods before him because I have to, I can see that I should want to have nothing above Him in my life (not even a marriage) because nothing will satisfy me as only He can. So, instead of "having to," I "want to" have Him first above all things.

(I'll share the other nugget later)

Committed2Him- "C2H"
K
K
C2H,

Quote:
I can see that I should want to have nothing above Him in my life (not even a marriage) because nothing will satisfy me as only He can.

I don't remember if we've discussed his books before, but have you read anything by John Eldredge? This reminds me a lot of what he writes in "Wild At Heart."

Waiting for the other nugget to drop. \:\)

Thanks,

Joe

My sitch
More importantly, Light A Million Candles
OP Offline
Joe,

Haven't read him but just checked out the book you mentioned and saw that it had over 100 reader reviews and some extremely positive reviews- I ordered a copy, Happy Birthday to me.

Just to reflect on the above nugget a bit more. About 10 of us were serving lunch to the 90 or so guys who came with us on two busses to the men's conference. We left early to set up tables, drinks etc. As we waited for the other guys to break for lunch I shared with the other guys how profound I found that message to be, "No other god will satisfy."

NOTHING ultimately satisfies. Athletes win championships and the next day they are striving for the next one. The rich and famous need more on top of more, I worked with officers in an Executive office and they boasted about their $800 pens! To the negative, when a person gets hooked on drugs, alcohol, gambling or other vices, things spirral downward until they hit the proverbial rock bottom.

So, I appreciate that God tells me, "Hey ding bat, make me number one in your life because in me, you will find rest for your weary soul. I'll be here waiting for you with the first aid kit while you try everything else, I'll leave the light on for ya!"

The other nugget
Maybe less of a nugget but more of a cause to pause, reflect and assess my priorities (as if none of that has been going on for all of us, LOL )

Gregory attended my Monday night men's study at the church as we studied the book of act for the last 26 weeks or so. Each week we would read a chapter, answer questions in a study guide, come back and review them in small groups of 10 or so the next Monday. I didn't know him before, but he joined us and as we got to know each other, we saw that his 53 year old body was working hard to recover ffrom heart surgery and some other complications. Yet week by week we got together and would listen to him when he offered up an insight and encouragement when he had something to share.

At the men's conference, he joined us and even showed up while we were setting up lunch because it took him a long time to walk so he left his seat early to avoid the crowd who would walk at a hurried pace. He sat next to me as we swallowed our meals before the other guys came and we chatte about his health and his family, an every day kind of converstion.

The monday after the conference, the leaders started the meeting in prayer as they usually do but announced that we were also going to pray for Gregory's family because he died earlier in the day. We were surprised yet those of us who knew him from our group were happy for him.

Last night we got a call as to where the wake was so another brother from church and I headed on over to pray for and comfort family members with our knowledge of what we knew of him during his final months and even just 48 hours before his passing. They offered the opportunity for others to speak and when the leader of our group who was also present, did not get up, I did.

I shared how he encouraged us, how he persevered in spite of his pain and how his walk with God was very strong at the end of his life. I even told them if they saw some of us with seemingly inappropriate grins or smiles on our faces, it was because we knew that To be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord for those who love Him (God) and that Gregory certainly loved God. As I paused in my comments, someone's phone rang and their ring tone was "Sweet home Alabama" and I said, "you know, Gregory is in his sweet home but it is not Alabama, it's heaven and he would hope that each of you would one day join him there."

The little nugget?
Seeing my brother in Christ at the conference on Saturday and then hearing on Monday that he had died reinforced the reality that tomorrow is not promised to us. His passing and attending the wake brought into focus the reality of dying with a certain, firm faith in the Lord, walking closely with Him all the way up to our last breath. Gregory knew his days were limited and so he jealously treasured His relationship with God. In my 20 years of being a Christian, haven't always guarded my relationship with God in that manner but I do now.

I miss my friend but I am jealous for he is no longer in pain but is in the very presence of the Lord- it blows me away to think of him hanging out with with God, the creator of the universe and everything in it, as I type these very words...

Committed2Him- "C2H"
K
K
C2
I am sorry about your friend. He was so young. It does make you stop and really get our priorities straight.
I love the way you described him hanging out with God, what a great way to think of him! I will remember this!

'nighty night C2

Be Happy for this Moment,
This Moment is your Life

K
K
C2H,

I'm sorry, too, that you will not have your friend here with you now. Thanks for sharing this story with us, though. It's an important reminder.

Thanks,

Joe

My sitch
More importantly, Light A Million Candles
C2,
I'm also sorry about your friend. That was a wonderful post.

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard