Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 15 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 14 15
K
kml Offline
K
Quote:
I have had my thyroid checked several times, but it showed just a slight elevation so they never did anything about it. I thought it would be low b/c of the lack of energy but then a nurse tried to explain how it works....which is opposite from the way I thought it would be.

Probably your TSH was elevated - this is the messenger from your brain to your thyroid, and it is like a seesaw - when thyroid HORMONE is low, the messenger from the BRAIN (TSH)goes up. It's kind of like the brain is shouting at the thyroid to pick it up and get going.
The "normal" range for TSH is a matter of debate. The AACE (American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists)revised their recommendations a couple of years ago. Instead of a normal TSH being up to 5, they now say if your TSH is over 3 and you have symptoms, you should be treated. Even a TSH over 2 may be a little suspect, since most normal healthy people have a tSH less than 2.
You should also have thyroid antibodies checked.And of course the vitamin D. If your doctor is cooperative, you may just be able to ask him to order these tests. If you think you need a trial of thyroid hormone and have difficulty convincing him, you might ask the Broda Barnes Foundation for a referral to someone in your area - that's a good way to find a physician willing to treat thyroid disease based on symptoms, not just lab tests.

Ellie

K
kml Offline
K
Quote:
My H went through a terrible MLC...depression diagnosis...diabetes diagnosis...alcolism diagnosis...and he had 3 TIA's last summer...and now ED issues that pills don't seem to do much for...

He has been on thyroid treatment for well over 12 years...and just recently his Dr. noted that he was showing TSH in his blood tests...twice they have reduced his thyroid meds...I think he is on Levoxyl or Synthroid, that sounds familiar...the Dr says it is rare to see the thyroid start working after so long of it not doing much at all...any thoughts on this?

ImLin - did they reduce his meds based SOLELY on his blood tests, or was he actually having any symptoms of being overdosed? Thyroid function CAN fluctuate, and sometimes a different supplier of thyroid hormone will be more potent than another, or differences in how someone is taking their medicine may result in increased absorption. Still, it sounds like he was having a lot of medical issues that were possibly related to low thyroid - it could be a mistake to lower his thyroid hormone based solely on a lab test if that doesn't match the rest of his clinical picture.

Try taking his resting pulse and temperature first thing in the morning before he gets out of bed. That can be a useful way to track what is happening. If they lowered his dose and his temperature is 98 and his pulse is 72 - that's probably fine. If his temp goes down to 96.5 and his pulse drops - ummm, probably he needs more thyroid hormone!

Do you know if he's had free T3 and Free T4 checked? Most people on thyroid replacement do best if these are kept in the middle or upper half of the normal range.

Ellie

S
sandi2 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Cemar, I was just joking! I have sent three post and then deleted them. At first, I was mad, then I cried, and now......I just don't know what to say. I don't want to think about the OM or what I did to motivate him. I'm trying my best NOT to think about him. I flirted, I teased, I did things I'm not proud of and had rather forget about. I'm having a hard time forgiving myself and I refuse to dwell on what took place between me and the OM.

Last edited by sandi2; 10/02/07 12:58 AM.

It is not about what you feel should work in your M. It is about doing the work that gets the right results. Do what works!
C
C
I gotta find someone, myself. last tsh was 3.3, which, of course, they said was "normal", and dismissed. {I've been hypo for years...on synth for some time, but always complained that it wasn't enough. they'll only keep the tsh just barely inside their idea of "normal", though. "typical").
Funny how reproductive endocrinologists almost universally believe that their female patients should have tsh of between .5 and 1.5, and will treat aggressively to get it/keep it there.

I read some on the Barnes stuff on basal body temp, and took mine for a while...it is typically 96.0. One time, I was very sick, hospitalized with very high fever, and after that had broken, the nurse was taking my temp in the am...took it 3 times, and wouldn't believe what the machine said. so she went and found another thermometer...used that twice, and finally wrote down the number.
Last winter, I had a touch of pneumonia. At home, the temp was over 102 at one point, but by the time I got to the ER, it had come down. I was sitting there shaking with chills, quite obviously feverish, and the nurse took my temp: 98.2. followed by dirty looks. then more from the doc. they took an x-ray, anyway, but it was quite plain that they thought I was a big faker. xrays came back + for pneumonia...doc told me the news, shaking his head in disbelief, but I was vindicated.

D
D
Quote:
I did things I'm not proud of and had rather forget about. I'm having a hard time forgiving myself and I refuse to dwell on what took place between me and the OM.

I think that's the best attitude to take. Forget about OM. think about what first attracted your husband to you.

Although since you posted that... a bit of light flirting and teasing towards your H couldnt hurt either, i would think ;\)

My current status: june 2006. Wife ran out and filed D.
Finalized Jan 11, 2010, after 12.5 years M.
3 wonderful sons caught in the middle

K
kml Offline
K
cac4 -
Contact the Broda Barnes foundation, they can give you a referral to someone in your area.

Ellie

C
C
Cemar,

I understand why you are asking Sandi the questions you are asking, but I think those kinds of questions are best pondered when there has been sufficient elapsed time after the A. Sandi is ONLY at 3 months. At 3 months she is most likely still fighting to expunge those impulses.

Sandi,

At some point you will probably need to reflect on what happened with an eye to making sure it doesn't happen again. I didn't do enough of that. But don't worry about that for now, focus on your M.

Chrome

"Recollect me darlin, raise me to your lips, two undernourished egos, four rotating hips"

Inertia Creeps by Massive Attack
S
sandi2 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hi DomR,

Yeah, I've done some light flirting....very light (lol) with H. I realize that I still have a closed heart to a great degree. I was thinking about that last night and trying to pinpoint when I actually started feeling that way toward him. I think it was 21 years ago when our grandson was born and was staying with us a lot. Instead of making him go to bed in the spare bedroom (as I chose to do), my H would allow him to stay in the front room on the hide-a-way bed/couch......and he would sleep with him. So, that is when he started staying out of our bedroom and got into even a worse habit than he had before about falling asleep watching TV every night. He seem to like doing that more than coming to bed with me at a normal bedtime. I thought it instilled bad habits in the GS, but like I've said before, H was always the "good" guy and I was the "bad".

Anyway, that was when I started really resenting him sleeping in the front room all the time. It had been bad enough when he would come to bed after midnight or later, but then it just went to full time sleeping on the couch or hide-a-way. After the GS was older and not staying over all the time, H was still sleeping in front room. 21 years later.....he still chooses to do that. I told him how I felt and he had not explaination really.....nothing of any weight. I took it as a sign of neglect and laziness to work on the R. If he could not compromise on that one thing I have pleaded with him over the years.....then...well, I gave up. But the resentment grew and my heart closed up. Then, of course, we finally stopped having sex at all.

So, I'm trying to reach a point where we are friends again. Right now, we are having a lot of drama in our family.....in fact, it is mostly to do with that same grandson. So, it takes a toll on us. But, at least we are not at odds with each other.

This problem with the grandson is somewhat of a new development...well, not really new, but has gotten worse.....anyway, it is tearing me up and I am having a hard time today. Would appreciate prayers. He needs to get his head on straight and get his life straighten out before he messes up any more than what he already has. He is living with us at the present and that makes things more difficult for H and me.

It is not about what you feel should work in your M. It is about doing the work that gets the right results. Do what works!
S
sandi2 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hi DomR,

Yeah, I've done some light flirting....very light (lol) with H. I realize that I still have a closed heart to a great degree. I was thinking about that last night and trying to pinpoint when I actually started feeling that way toward him. I think it was 21 years ago when our grandson was born and was staying with us a lot. Instead of making him go to bed in the spare bedroom (as I chose to do), my H would allow him to stay in the front room on the hide-a-way bed/couch......and he would sleep with him. So, that is when he started staying out of our bedroom and got into even a worse habit than he had before about falling asleep watching TV every night. He seem to like doing that more than coming to bed with me at a normal bedtime. I thought it instilled bad habits in the GS, but like I've said before, H was always the "good" guy and I was the "bad".

Anyway, that was when I started really resenting him sleeping in the front room all the time. It had been bad enough when he would come to bed after midnight or later, but then it just went to full time sleeping on the couch or hide-a-way. After the GS was older and not staying over all the time, H was still sleeping in front room. 21 years later.....he still chooses to do that. I told him how I felt and he had not explaination really.....nothing of any weight. I took it as a sign of neglect and laziness to work on the R. If he could not compromise on that one thing I have pleaded with him over the years.....then...well, I gave up. But the resentment grew and my heart closed up. Then, of course, we finally stopped having sex at all.

So, I'm trying to reach a point where we are friends again. Right now, we are having a lot of drama in our family.....in fact, it is mostly to do with that same grandson. So, it takes a toll on us. But, at least we are not at odds with each other.

This problem with the grandson is somewhat of a new development...well, not really new, but has gotten worse.....anyway, it is tearing me up and I am having a hard time today. Would appreciate prayers. He needs to get his head on straight and get his life straighten out before he messes up any more than what he already has. He is living with us at the present and that makes things more difficult for H and me.

S
sandi2 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Quote:
At some point you will probably need to reflect on what happened with an eye to making sure it doesn't happen again. I didn't do enough of that. But don't worry about that for now, focus on your M.

Chrome,

I'm sure I do know what happened and how I allowed it to get to that stage. It has actually been less than the 3 month mark and that is why I am trying not to focus on OM. In fact, when I was trying to reply to Cemar, thinking back on OM brought up some memories that triggered some feelings that was tempting me to contact him again. I knew I had to throw on the brakes fast and not travel that path or get anywhere close to it again!

You both may be correct in what you are saying. But, right now, I have to deal with things on the home front that take priority over that. I do appreciate both you and Cemar and your concern and I hope I don't sound like a grouch.

Page 7 of 15 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 14 15

Moderated by  Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard