Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 14 1 2 10 11 12 13 14
J
J
Quote:
And that is okay. For some here "standing" is the only course, even if it means standing forever. "Stand" and you are strong - anything else is wrong and you are weak. They are "sick" after all. Someone even once said the OM is a "drug" for their illness and therefore that is okay.

Spare me. Please.

I'm with you on this. No reason to make excuses for them. I wasn't suggesting that, I hope you know. I guess I might have read some of that wrong and I think it's good to move forward.

In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.
Abraham Lincoln

It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.
Theodore Roosevelt

Hey, if you are out there, I could use a man's perspective, your perspective, on what I just posted on my thread.

And a hand hold...

thanks,
BA

F
F
Originally Posted By: faithisbelieving
BTW.....at least you didn't cut up a credit card in front of your W. Don't feel so bad.

I Cut up several. It was very definitive. She wanted OM and 'freedom'. It comes with a price. She got the lesson.

There is nothing wrong with that when someone is being irresponsible and also saying they are 'leaving'.

By the way MY COUNSELOR told me to do that. But not to be 'angry'. Just show her that the financial connection was being severed - at her request.

Current Thread

P
P
Jeff,

I haven't been on your thread in a while, but your post on mine caused me to come over here and read it.

THANK YOU to everyone who posted about anger, bitterness, compassion. I have a lot to think about.

Best,
Nicola

Life isn't about finding yourself; it's about creating yourself
My thread: Trusting God's Plan
I
I
Hey Jeff

Quote:
I took my mom to the doctor today and she told me former W called her! I wonder why?

Regardless what is going on btwn you and your fW, I'm sure fW still cares about your Mom.

I'm sure that the fact that her Mom is also not doing well, she is coming to the realization that there will be a void there and this may very well have her hit rock bottom.

If and when that should happen, I'm sure you will show her the man that you really are whether you choose to stand for your M or not but for the sake of your kids.

The fact that your Mom still welcomes your fW, shows what a wonderful woman your Mom is.

A happy thread is what I'm looking forward to seeing too.

Hugs,
ISLH

Me: 49 - S22 & S26
H: 41 - No kids
M: 10/00
Bomb New Year's Day 2006
H living w OW 01/07; have baby 12/07
D final 07/07
Thread #9 - Hope Lives On
Hey, Boo,

Waiting on that happy thread...

<tapping>

J
Jeff223 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I wanted to post this here since I feel so strongly that this was so true in my case. It was posted by "Underdog" on WCW's thread.

Quote:
I can tell you from experience that detaching in a loving fashion isn't THAT hard once you've been able to do it effectively a few times. Taking that first step is very difficult, so why not give yourself some time? If you think about it, lovingly detaching is honoring a personal boundary--and you're so worth that effort. Not every bad action needs to have a selfish or unkind response. Even if you don't feel he deserves that, you do. Because how you treat him is going to come back to you hundredfold.

I'm sure I did tell him in the beginning that I honestly felt we could and should fix what was broken. But as you can guess, that fell on deaf ears and was a pretty desperate path with a cheeseless tunnel. I soon found DB/DR and started MC and decided to follow my instructions to the letter and just leave him be. So here's how he knew.

I acted AS IF there was nothing wrong with our set up. I acted AS IF I was hopeful about our outcome. I acted AS IF there were no elephant in our living room--for the simple fact that I walked a tightrope where either way might have pressured him into doing what I didn't want him to do. I have no regrets and it honestly was a 180 for me--I've typically been a realistic person who just acts on the obvious. I didn't want to assume that we were headed for divorce, so I acted as if we were eventually going to reconcile. With me so far?

What I didn't find out until much later was that this pi$$ed him off. He once again indicated that he felt I was going to get my way, ergo that would mean he lost the battle and the war. He said my blind hopefulness was--in his opinion--just another means of me not taking him or his actions seriously. Well, believe me that I was taking every bit of this journey very seriously. And what I had done in the past didn't work so I was more than willing to change how I interacted with him.

Let me say this after the fact--I do NOT blame myself for this outcome or how I played that hand of cards. I see now that he was effectively throwing things back in my face to take it off his back. No matter what I had chosen to do, he would have interpreted the mechanism to suit his purposes. What I'm trying to convey to you guys is that if your H is hell bent on this same type of MO, make sure that your actions are completely true to who you are and the person you want the world to see who you are. It's the only way you're going to get to the other side whole and believing in yourselves.

Now, if your H is truly looking to give you the benefit of the doubt and is making a solid and truthful attempt at healing, you're not going to be in my shoes. My only advice would be to make sure that your actions equal your words and they aren't conveying non-verbal thoughts that don't jive with those slippery WAHs. Let me give you one clear example. My actions were overall for the greater good, but the subliminal message underlying my entire belief system was that Mr. W. was out of his mind and he would eventually regain his sanity.

It didn't help that there were tons of posters way back when who referred to their spouses as aliens. I was a bit uncomfortable with that notion. Just because our spouses don't agree with us and our set of values does not make them crazy or insane. It may mean a lot of things that aren't altogether positive, but it does not mean they are crazy or wrong for feeling the way they feel. I didn't (and still don't) agree with the reasons why Mr. Wonderful left me. I still get angry with him for our divorce (our 17th wedding anniversary was this past Saturday and I only felt some lingering anger). But his truth was that he no longer wanted to be married to me.

I didn't and don't like the reasons why he chose door #3. I've changed and he's admitted that freely. But for the longest time, he said he felt no hope that we could ever fix what was wrong. It's too bad, because I did what God asked me to do and he would have reaped the benefits from it. But he reaped anyway, because I'm a much nicer and kinder friend now that I've come through the tunnel. He's still the father to my girls and for that fact alone, I will give him respect. I still feel he's depressed and needs some help. But he's not an alien or insane and because he no longer wants to be married to me doesn't mean there is something inherently wrong with me. I'm human and flawed, but I am lovable and worthy of a man's love. Just not his--and I deserve that and more from a spouse.

Jeff

Current Thread
W
WCW Offline
W
Underdog is incredible, such insight and the words to express herself. I wish I had that gift.

But hey! whatchoo you doin' scabbin' from my thread and you didn't even say hi!

Live your life while you are still living.
Riding the trail less traveled.
F
F
And that IS an incredible post. And it applies to many WAS's here. Including mine to a degree. I've never espoused the 'crazy' or 'alien' terms either..nor the 'they are sick phrase'. They are justifications for the pain we feel and a way to cope with feelings of rejection we are experiencing. I agree with Underdog..whatever happened to our S's....whether it be 'change' or allowing a repressed self to come thru or new psychological issues taking over....they choose NOT to be with us anymore. It is how we cope with this...change and grow...that really is what matters.

Strength and honor.
FIB

Me 55; XW 47; 2 kids (S13, D11)
Bomb 05/19/06 Original thread http://tinyurl.com/yg2ou2t
Last anniversary 04/25/10, Divorced 5/12/10
J
Jeff223 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thanks WCW. Your thread is full of good insights.

That is also good insight Frank. Thanks. I did use the Alien word and it helped. I also thought MLC but I soon realized that was not the whole picture.

I have been in a better place lately. The anger is gone (finally) and now I am back to sorrow and a bit of forgiveness. Still a bit stuck but life will go on.

I have interacted with former W a bit more lately. Still cannot look me in the eye. A good friend suggested there may be the OM after all. I still don't think so but you never know.

I think she is still guilty and sad for breaking us up and b/c she cannot find the inner strength to try again. That must be hard for her. She is also still angry at me for "causing" all this. She sent me an email telling me that her father was coming to attend his brother's funeral and could she keep the kids. She also said her mom took a turn for the worse (fluid in the lung). Instead of emailing I called. We talked some but I could tell she was not comfortable talking and the anger was just below the surface. But she finally talked about her mom - gave a lot of info. I told her "call me if you need to - I don't bite". She quickly said in an annoyed tone "Don't worry, I am not afraid" - then she laughed; it was her way of asserting her independence.

Funny, today on the way to the funeral (she went with her dad) she got lost. Guess who she called for help??? I was very suprised by that call.

The last draft of the Divorce papers are at the lawyers - should be divorced by Thanksgiving.

Then time to move forward into a new life.

And a new thread it appears.

Strength and Honor.

Jeff

Current Thread
Page 12 of 14 1 2 10 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard