Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
G
G
Graduate degrees don’t guarantee you a job. You often don’t see someone unemployed with a graduate degree, but you very well may find them underemployed in a job /salary that doesn’t require a graduate degree.

For me, the smart part of a graduate degree comes with return on investment. Are you going to obtain a position that will pay for your graduate degree and increase your salary by either industry standards or marketability ? Or are you going to obtain one just to have one, but maintain a position that doesn’t require one or earn you more money?

For these reasons, I really don’t care one way or another. I dated a guy who had his GED. He built his own very successful HVAC business . His intelligence wasn’t defined by his formal training education.

B
B
Originally Posted by Mach40
Originally Posted by bttrfly
depends on the degree ...
Yes, Its unfortunate, especially with the amount of work and cost associated.
For example, PHd in computer programming?. Why. To teach?. You are no better than a programmer at Bachelor level. We have several workers in my IT systems world here, that laugh at people that get degrees at a PHd level there. No ROI.
PhD's in computer programming or any STEM field are much desired in the startup world. My exh has made a career out of that.

It certainly depends on the University granting the degree as well, but I've not found what your saying to be true in my personal work experience in high tech or in what I've observed with friends and family.

M 20+ T25+
S ~15.5 (BD)
BD 4/6/15
D 12/23/16

"Someone I loved once gave me
A box full of darkness.
It took me years to understand,
That this too, was a gift."
~ Mary Oliver
M
Mach40 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by LH19
Yes I am. Lunch or late lunch for this weekend or next.
Don't do a lunch date especially on the first one.
Come on LH19, are you honesty believing that a graduate degree guarantees a job?
There are no guarantees. You said most don't. I do not believe it which is why I asked you to prove it.
Dinner better?. Hope for breakfast?
Not sure how to prove it, but start here them google graduate degree success rate to employment percentages.

<Link Deleted>

Last edited by DnJ; 01/05/23 08:16 PM. Reason: Deleted link to external site.

Sitting at a Table for One.
M
Mach40 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
More stats. Realiry is empliyment has many variables, pick wiseley

<External Link Deleted>

Last edited by DnJ; 01/05/23 08:15 PM. Reason: Deleted link to external site.

Sitting at a Table for One.
M
M
Originally Posted by LH21
Originally Posted by 39behindme
Lady down the street invited me over for New Years. Not official date.
Are you going to ask her out?

Yes I am. Lunch or late lunch for this weekend or next.

Yea....I'm in that kind of mood today....

This may sound like a strange question here....

WHO are you going to ask and be on a date with ???

From what I have read, you were just struggling in the past few weeks about being over/not being over your EX yet.....

So when you hear the new gal speak, WHO is saying the words that you want to hear ??

WHO's voice do you want to hear ??

I just sayin.....don't let another person be what you hide your heart behind.

It totally wouldn't be fair to her to not get ALL of you....

Read Wolfman if you want some validation and direction on that...

1 member likes this: Mach40
D
D
Graduate degrees certainly don’t guarantee a job in the particular area of the south I live in. Of course it depends somewhat on the degree and what you are trying to do with it, but in general graduate degree is not an immediate job puller. I do agree with what G said, though, that a lot of grad degree holders are underemployed. My grad degree is in education and I work in the education field so it is certainly a great ROI for me, as will a Ph.D. be at some point, but not every field is like education. My brother has a very successful, very lucrative management/sales position with a large regional company. He has a high school diploma.

As someone already pointed out, education and intelligence are NOT necessarily the same thing. One of the smartest people I know on this planet went to college for 1 whole semester before dropping by out and moving on with life. One of the dumbest people I have ever known had 2 graduate degrees.

Me 52, H53
Bomb drop 9/29/2014
Divorce from XH final 12/17/2014
Marriage #2 12/31/2019
5 adult (step)daughters (3 from XH's first marriage, 2 from current H's previous relationships)
6 grandkids
D
DnJ Offline
D
Mach40, please refrain from posting links to external websites.

DnJ

Feelings are fleeting.
Be better, not bitter.
Love the person, forgive the sin.
B
B
Can't say I understand the debate here on grad degrees vs employment...is that really a factor you want to filter out, Mach40? Are you going to "swipe left" on a woman because she went farther in her education than a bachelors degree? Or because she enjoys boating or sports for that matter? Seems bizarre to me, but hey...you're life.

Me:39 Ex-W:37
M:7 T: 9
S:6 D:3
BD/IHS/Confirm EA/PA: Feb '20
OM1 affair ends: May '20
W/OM2 & moves out: June-July '20
W files for D: Jul20
OM2 confirmed: 9/2020
Divorced: May '21
B
B
*your life (just in case anyone questions my education)

My point is...these don't seem like red flag / disqualifications to me. If anything, they're pluses. Why not give them a chance in person before making any judgements?

Me:39 Ex-W:37
M:7 T: 9
S:6 D:3
BD/IHS/Confirm EA/PA: Feb '20
OM1 affair ends: May '20
W/OM2 & moves out: June-July '20
W files for D: Jul20
OM2 confirmed: 9/2020
Divorced: May '21
L
L
Originally Posted by BL42
Can't say I understand the debate here on grad degrees vs employment...is that really a factor you want to filter out, Mach40? Are you going to "swipe left" on a woman because she went farther in her education than a bachelors degree? Or because she enjoys boating or sports for that matter? Seems bizarre to me, but hey...you're life.
Mach said most people with grad degrees can’t find jobs. I questioned the validity of the statement. Seems like lately people post things that have zero evidence to back it up.

Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard