Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
kml #2939398 11/17/22 07:04 PM
K
kml Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Well, new info about Spa Guy which may complicate getting together for a visit. Apparently, he has his 70 year old older sister living with him. He says this was the impetus to move to where he lives now (from his one bedroom loft apartment to a less expensive area where he bought a two bedroom place). He says he's not her caregiver but mentioned her going back to LA for doctors visits once a month so doesn't sound like she's in the best of health either. He did suggest that I might be able to time a visit with when she is gone but who knows if that will fit into my work schedule. I would like to see him but we would both like privacy for that, especially the first time seeing each other after so long.

Well, the next month is busy anyway with holidays and things with my kids and friends, so he may have to wait until the new year anyway.

Meanwhile - bought the CD with that Rain song Switch to Me from the video - yet another CD that comes with a hilarious amount of fan swag. For one CD (an EP at that!) I get a poster of Rain with his shirt off, a jigsaw puzzle (because the album is titled Pieces), 5x7 photo cards with the song lyrics on the back, two wallet sized photos, a Covid mask with his name on it (this album came out in the end of 2020 I think) and a sticker! I mean, one CD comes with enough swag to build a veritable shrine to the artist. I can only IMAGINE what the bedrooms of teenage Korean girls look like. And there's no option to just buy the CD without all the swag.

My Korean language study is coming along, I can read a few dozen words and I am recognizing more words when I am watching my k-dramas. In the current one the word "friend" comes up very often and I know that one!

kml #2939442 11/18/22 03:24 PM
B
B
I'm kicking serious @$$ on my re-learning French Duolingo project. whichever part of my brain that
is stimulated by learning a language is seriously happy right now.

when the timing is right, you and spa guy will have your meeting.

M 20+ T25+
S ~15.5 (BD)
BD 4/6/15
D 12/23/16

"Someone I loved once gave me
A box full of darkness.
It took me years to understand,
That this too, was a gift."
~ Mary Oliver
kml #2939443 11/18/22 03:40 PM
K
kml Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Good job on your French! My sister studies French in school, and even though she has never had anyone to speak French with, her French was surprisingly good when we traveled to France a few years ago. She kept her French up all those years by speaking French to her cats!

1 member likes this: bttrfly
kml #2939445 11/18/22 04:03 PM
D
D
I started teaching an ESL class this week to native Spanish speakers so they are teaching me Spanish while I teach them English. I took French in high school and now want to practice that again too. Our work provides us Rosetta Stone to help with our ESL stuff so I might have to use that for my French stuff.

Me 52, H53
Bomb drop 9/29/2014
Divorce from XH final 12/17/2014
Marriage #2 12/31/2019
5 adult (step)daughters (3 from XH's first marriage, 2 from current H's previous relationships)
6 grandkids
kml #2939446 11/18/22 04:03 PM
A
A
Originally Posted by kml
She kept her French up all those years by speaking French to her cats!
Cats are naturally multi-lingual. Mine can ignore me in any language I choose to attempt laugh

I used to be more fluent in French / Quebecois - mainly around the topics of mining, food, beer and swearing. Lost most of it although it does get dredged up from time to time. I was re-assured the other day that it was no good though when I was trying to explain to a truck driver where to move his truck to in order to get loaded. Lots of arm waving was involved.

If your sister does ever go to Quebec - it's a distinct language from continental French and northern Quebec - where I spent most of my time - is distinct from southern. I was also interested to realize that the Spanish spoken in Latin America is very different from the Spanish I encountered in Madrid.

On BD
H52, W50
T27, M26
S21, D23
BD-9-Mar-16
D-15-Jan-18 Final-19-Apr-18
I am a storyteller. The story may do you no good.
But a story is never for the listener. It is always for the one who tells
kml #2939453 11/18/22 05:00 PM
K
kml Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Yes, we’ve been to Montreal and Quebec City, her French was still useful though. I learned Spanish from a Cuban nun in high school, which was difficult, and encounter mostly Mexican speakers here in So Cal, who tend to speak with a thick regional accent. But I once had an Ecuadorean nanny for my kids and her Spanish was so pure and clear, I could understand everything she said! There are definitely some word differences between Spanish from Spain and from the Americas, just as there are word differences between British English and American English. And apparently even in a small country like Korea there’s a “Seoul accent”.

I highly recommend watching a lot of shows in the language you want to learn, with English subtitles. This accidental immersion in Korean that I stumbled into watching kdramas is really helping me learn, and I realize it is what was missing from my previous language learning.

kml #2939592 11/22/22 06:59 PM
K
kml Offline OP
OP Offline
K
The current kdrama I am watching has a very funny (and telling) side story. The older sister of the main character is an executive who falls for a guy who is a high school teacher. As she pursues him they flip every Korean drama trope on its head, with the woman doing all the things to/for him that the guys usually do to/for the women they like. And its hilarious.

She first becomes interested in him after seeing him do some "manic pixie dream girl" stuff. She dashes out with an umbrella when he gets caught in the rain and pulls him out of the path of the speeding delivery scooter. She kisses him first and afterwards tells him he has to take her calls. She buys him shoes and tells him she'll be good to him. She sends him flowers to his work.

In the latest scene, they are engaged and go shopping for wedding attire. She tries on dresses and complains they are uncomfortable, while he offers his opinion on which style he likes. Then he tries on tuxes and she just says they all look good, he come back with a "new one" after complaining she isn't interested and she says "Oh, that's the one!" but it's the same one he just showed her before. He becomes petulant.

So so funny but also telling about gender roles and, to my eye, things we think are acceptable for each sex to do that become silly when you see the roles reversed.

kml #2939981 11/30/22 06:02 PM
K
kml Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Well, finally tested positive for Covid today after successfully avoiding it for almost three years. Waiting for my Paxlovid to be filled. Will be a week of binging even more kdramas I guess!

kml #2939982 11/30/22 06:18 PM
B
B
kml,
Originally Posted by kml
Well, finally tested positive for Covid today after successfully avoiding it for almost three years. Waiting for my Paxlovid to be filled. Will be a week of binging even more kdramas I guess!
You may be the only person I know who hadn't yet gotten Covid. Hope it doesn't hit badly and you recover quickly.

Me:39 Ex-W:37
M:7 T: 9
S:6 D:3
BD/IHS/Confirm EA/PA: Feb '20
OM1 affair ends: May '20
W/OM2 & moves out: June-July '20
W files for D: Jul20
OM2 confirmed: 9/2020
Divorced: May '21
job Offline
Sorry to read that you have tested positive for COVID. I hope that you feel better soon.

Sit quietly, the answers will reveal themselves when you least expect them to.
The past is gone, the present is a gift and you need to focus on today, allow the future to reveal itself when it is ready.
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard