Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
K
kml Offline
K
Well to be fair, the hive mind isn’t always correct (I thought for sure DejaVu was getting catfished, remember?).
But yes, it’s a good idea in the future to go slow and examine the warnings people are giving you. You’re too easy a mark.

The Sunday mornings - I see what you mean. If it weren’t for the pandemic, you could substitute something social (I fantasize about holding an intellectual salon on Sundays). Someday in the future maybe you’ll take up with a woman who is happy to spend the night Saturday night and enjoy those Sundays, then return to her own home! wink

E
E
No Westo, i was also deleted.
I don' t blame Andrew for doing so.
My writing on his thread was straight up what i saw from my side of the board and sounded quite mean at times.
I also know Andrew was working on his relationship with S and knew S was showing jaleousy toward the ladies on here.
I' m just happy it is in the past and Andrew , well done! smile
You have my upmost respect.

B
B
Originally Posted by AndrewP
I've created new routines and new traditions but waking up Sunday morning with the other side of the bed being cold and empty is a sad time.

Sleep in the middle.
Watch the movie Something's Gotta Give for context.

M 20+ T25+
S ~15.5 (BD)
BD 4/6/15
D 12/23/16

"Someone I loved once gave me
A box full of darkness.
It took me years to understand,
That this too, was a gift."
~ Mary Oliver
B
B
Originally Posted by kml

The Sunday mornings - I see what you mean. If it weren’t for the pandemic, you could substitute something social (I fantasize about holding an intellectual salon on Sundays).

ZOOOMMMMM!!!!!

just.. saying.

M 20+ T25+
S ~15.5 (BD)
BD 4/6/15
D 12/23/16

A box full of darkness.
~ Mary Oliver
B
B
oh and should you opt for a change in lock I highly HIGHLY recommend Schlage keypad locks. So easy to change codes.

M 20+ T25+
S ~15.5 (BD)
BD 4/6/15
D 12/23/16

A box full of darkness.
~ Mary Oliver
A
AndrewP Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by bttrfly
oh and should you opt for a change in lock I highly HIGHLY recommend Schlage keypad locks. So easy to change codes.

Keys and locks are an interesting question. My son and I had a conversation about this not too long ago.

The main door into the house is more or less an old wooden screen door. It has a removable window that I swap between a screen and glass. It's a pretty thin door and wouldn't slow anyone determined to get in down at all. A quick punch out of the glass or screen and you're in.

My garage is unlocked as are two of my 3 sheds. The third shed has a lock hanging from the door that I installed after we had some minor thefts in the village about 20 years ago. The lock itself is seized and never locked.

What my son and I discussed is that these aren't anything that will stop any determined person. But a casual person who walks by will see a lock and not steal my garden tools. Even if I had a "better" lock, it would only slow someone down slightly.

However, a casual person who is looking around will see the lock and move along to easier prey so I look at locks etc as just visual deterrents. Being a man though may also have a bit to do with my lower concern levels as well. If I was a middle-aged woman living alone I would probably have a different attitude.

My best security is what you would think of as "Italian security cameras" - I have lots of nosy neighbours. Less now that the house next door is abandoned. When S was here with a moving truck I had three separate people reach out to me to let me know. I expect that many people walked their dogs slowly by that day too.

One thing that I've been dissapointed to learn over the past couple of years that I never really realized before is the extent of the drug and homeless problems even here in my rural area. When I was dating B I had conversations with my barber who also used to sit on the police services board. S's kids - at least S18 is also well informed in part because they used to live across the street from a convenience store where a lot of transactions are done and also because the grocery store and the dumpster out back are regularly patronized by the local street people. The now abandoned house next door was in fact the village "drug house" although they certainly made a lot of effort to be good neighbours - probably not wanting any scrutiny on any other activities I'm sure.

So there is a risk of petty crimes that I had no idea of in the "before times". And with so many people who are already living on the edge being stressed out financially and mentally I am sure that the problems will get worse before they get better even in my idyllic little rural village.

Anyone who drives by would not see this place as an ideal target for theft. A big old house on the main street with peeling paint and if they look in the windows they wouldn't see much of anything worth stealing. And even those who know me would also know that I don't have anything worth stealing inside. My biggest risk is probably from any women who think that this would be a great place to move in to and be taken care of crazy

I'm just trying to think of what could be stolen and converted to cash easily. The few electronics here are fairly basic and wouldn't get much. I have some jewelry - some of my cufflinks are quite nice and probably worth a fair bit but most people wouldn't think to root around for those. The tools are pretty basic and nothing that would net any amount of cash. I'd like to see them try to steal my "persuader" - a 5' long heavy steel railway spike pulling bar. I use it when things need to be "persuaded". Scrap metal has a market but mostly for copper. Generators, small utility vehicles are common theft items but I don't have those.

---

Feeling a bit sad today. One of my best friends just let me know that his older brother just passed from Covid yesterday and his sister-in-law is in the hospital. Because they live in Kenya and he's in Canada there is no chance for him to be physically with family to grieve. His parents as well are in Mumbai and would be unable to be there. As Muslims the burial has already taken place.

On BD
H52, W50
T27, M26
S21, D23
BD-9-Mar-16
D-15-Jan-18 Final-19-Apr-18
I am a storyteller. The story may do you no good.
But a story is never for the listener. It is always for the one who tells
job Offline
My condolences on the loss of your best friend's older brother. Covid has taken far too many from this earth in just 11 months.

I would suggest that if you do have something of value, i.e., jewelry, then put it in a place only you would know about. Thieves tend to look for things that are easy to snatch and go.

I hope you have a great week and things are still on target for S's S18 and maybe, just maybe, she'll come pick up some more stuff.

Sit quietly, the answers will reveal themselves when you least expect them to.
The past is gone, the present is a gift and you need to focus on today, allow the future to reveal itself when it is ready.
K
kml Offline
K
So sad about your friend's brother.

I was on hold for a long time this weekend with my HMO. Their general message, which repeated occasionally while I was on hold, said basically this (I'm paraphrasing):
Don't come here unless you're sick
Bring your own damn mask
If you're having respiratory symptoms and have a nebulizer or other assistive devices (read- CPAP) bring it with you!

That's pretty terrifying. It is NOT normal to ask asthmatics to bring their home nebulizers with them to the ER. They must be running out of nebulizers and CPAP devices because of using them all to treat Covid patients in the hospital.

As for theft - I live in a very safe middle class suburban neighborhood. I'm not vigilant about locking up - there are three cars in the driveway, lights are almost always on somewhere because of different sleep schedules, someone is always home. I should be better I suppose but a break in is highly unlikely where I live and with my house so busy. And again, there's little of value.

I did get burgled once when I was a resident living in an apartment building across from the hospital. The city we were located in was a hotbed of gang activity and crack cocaine addiction in the 1980's. They did rifle through my drawers and took some jewelry - which had no value at all as it was all costume jewelry.

B
B
having surprised a burglar in my home I perhaps have a different perspective on such things. Being woken in the middle of the night by the sounds of an intruder will do that to a person, I suppose. This was back when I was married, and wasband and son were away on vacation - I was stuck working and would be joining them in a couple days. It was a thoroughly terrifying experience and they finally caught the gang of kids about a year later. Shortly thereafter wasband reversed the ban on dog ownership.

I have my pup, who is a giant goofball unless he thinks something is threatening his momma. I recently bought an alarm system. I feel more comfortable with it and with my combo lock. I can easily change the lock codes without needing help from anyone (a huge plus, in my book). I set up the alarm system myself and it's monitored for a few bucks a month. My peace of mind is worth a lot to me.

M 20+ T25+
S ~15.5 (BD)
BD 4/6/15
D 12/23/16

A box full of darkness.
~ Mary Oliver
K
kml Offline
K
Oh we do have a dog too! Small but noisy! No one would be sneaking in with him there.

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard