Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
beckyb Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Hanukkah is here. Christmas activities are in full swing. How are you coping? What is your plan for getting through?

I am going back to recovery basics until the new year. Get out of bed, make myself look decent, go to work, eat healthy, get exercise. Try not to be super crabby.

I have decorated my house a little. Didn't go all out but put out some of my most special decorations. I have been a collector of all things Christmas for years so I have a lot to choose from.

I am have a Christmas tea party next week and doing a couple of other things. I not really into it but for me it's better than ignoring the holiday.

I am dreading Christmas morning most of all. I always only H and me opening our gifts and lounging around. This year I'm going to my mom's but no gifts to open. My mom is paying for a trip for my sisters and me as our gift.

Me53
H48
M 13
No children together
BDMay '15
PA June '15
H moves out,files 8/15 wants "quick divorce" but does nothing
Me sending proposal 12/15, court dates upcoming
P
P
It is a bit sad but for me, I am dealing with it by basically pretending it is not here. No decorating for me this year. Who knows what she picked through in terms of xmas decorations and ornaments when she left. I am just ready for the new year. Bring it!

G
G
Becky, I feel bad for commenting on this post, as I am in a much different position than most people on this board in that my H is still technically here. In body at least. Last year was the best Christmas I had in a long time. Sad to say, I sent my daughter away to my parents for the week, so it was just me and H and the boys and we had such a peaceful day, H completely spoiled me over the top with gifts and we had a lot of "cuddling" quiet time, it was so nice.

This year he is still here but leaving for a 6 month job a week after Christmas. And he barely speaks to me. So I don't know how to deal. How can things change so radically in one year? It has also been crossing my mind that maybe last year he was already in his affair and that was why he was so nice to my at Christmas. He claims it started in January.

I usually send out photo christmas cards, but I just don't have it in me right now. I am decorating today with my boys. We usually watch the movie Elf several times in December and bake a lot of cookies. I have a new church this year so their festivities start today, I will be curious to see how they celebrate, if they do anything special or different.

Last night we had H's office holiday party. I went, I looked great (for me) , made friends with everyone, mingled and acted like an extrovert and barely spoke a word to H the entire time. It was actually fun, but sad at the same time. Came home and H stayed up late on his laptop, I went to bed and barely slept, had chest pains on and off all night, I am sure from anxiety.

I am so sad. My parents and sister and her kids will be here the day after Christmas, so that will help. I wish I was more detached from H. Trying to focus on the kids.

I know he bought me a present, but I have no idea what it could be. H also did all the christmas shopping for S9 - that is a first- don't think he has ever bought a christmas present for any of the kids, he had some great ideas and just went ahead and bought his several things. I thanked him and told him how much I appreciated his involvement, trying to focus on the positive.

B
beckyb Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Pho it sounds like you are trying to make the best of things. I'll bet the time your H is away will be very clarifying one way or the other.

Me53
H48
M 13
No children together
BDMay '15
PA June '15
B
beckyb Offline OP
OP Offline
B
On a holiday note I did some baking this weekend with my mom, sister and niece. Used very old family recipes and tried some new ones, with mixed success.

Next week is our December supper club and a Christmas Tea party. I'm making scones. Any tips from the UK crowd?

In between I get to spend a couple of days in sunny Southern California.

Last edited by beckyb; 12/06/15 10:01 PM.

Me53
H48
M 13
No children together
BDMay '15
PA June '15
G
G
Becky, I don't have any UK tips but my S9 said the funniest thing that I'd like to share with our UK friends. He asked "Mom, what does luxury mean?" So I said "Very fancy and special." S9 "Like having lunch in England?" I love this kid, he makes me laugh every single day. I never had any luck with scones, they always fall apart on me so I'd like some tips too!

I baked today too- my famous pumpkin bread and several quiches (not for holidays, to slice and freeze for future meals.) Tomorrow I am making a cranberry/almond/white chocolate cookie that is my own creation and is my all time favorite. Italian lemon cookies and chocolate chip cookies the following week. And biscotti! We like to eat home made cookies while watching the movie Elf repeatedly. I think I will need wine this year to get through it.

Sunny California sounds nice! For work?

Last edited by pho; 12/06/15 10:19 PM.

B
beckyb Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I made biscotti for the first time today. I turned out very well. Italian lemon cookies sound great. Could you share the recipe?

Me53
H48
M 13
No children together
BDMay '15
PA June '15
B
beckyb Offline OP
OP Offline
B
And yes, for work. Right now getting out of town is a blessing.

Me53
H48
M 13
No children together
BDMay '15
PA June '15
G
G
Becky, here is the recipe for the lemon cookies:

Ingredients
COOKIE
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
3 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
FROSTING
3 cups confectioners' sugar
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon lemon extract
Directions
Preheat oven to 350°F.
For cookies, cream together sugar and shortening.
Add eggs and lemon extract and beat well.
Add flour, baking powder and salt; Mix well.
The dough should be soft and sticky.
With a small cookie scoop, drop dough onto a slightly greased cookie sheet or baking stone, spacing them about 2-inches apart.
Bake for about 12-15 minutes, or until firm and lightly brown.
Remove cookies from cookie sheet and allow to cool completely on wire racks.
For frosting, combine confectioners' sugar, water and lemon extract and mix until smooth.
Frost the tops of each cookie with a metal spatula.

After I put the frosting on (really more of a glaze) I dip the cookie glaze side down in a bowl of sprinkles. I use the little round ones, I think they are called parieles. They are so colorful cute.

I hope you like them! I think they come out best if you make them really small.

K
K
Last night was my company party and prior I kept thinking what she may have been doing chatting with this other guy. So I went through the strides and as we were driving a bunch of our friends were going to thus new place so we blew it off selfishey so I didn't have to deal with it and clear my mind. It was a great night I drank too much but still a good night. We missed counseling cause I was putting flooring is my son's room. Any was I'm a Christmas addict but I'm dead inside nomatter what . I hate this. But I'm working on improving me and getting better. She did decorations. I'm like I cant... I hope she understands. This [censored] big time

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard