Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
R
R
2. Meander into hypothetical territory
Truth be told, most people’s daily lives aren’t rife with excitement, so dwelling on reality doesn’t always make for the most scintillating conversation. It may behoove you to venture into “What if…?” territory with comments, like “I sometimes wonder what I’d do with my life if I won the lottery. What do you think you would do?” or “If you had to find a new profession, what would it be?” Conversation like this gets at someone’s dreams and desires, and even if these things will never come to pass, you’ll get to know what makes your date tick. “You can make it a game,” says Puhn. “Pick a group of people nearby and ask, ‘What do you think is going on with them?’ Are they friends from work? Reuniting sorority sisters? The makings of a new five-girl pop band?” As you bounce the possibilities off each other, you’ll get some playful banter rolling in no time, which will help connect you two

I saw this somewhere^^^^. Thought it was interesting topic to discuss/do on a date.

M 53
D 20
Separated 6/22/11 moved out 10/24
Together 26 yrs
Married 16
W Filed for D 7/21/11
Served 9/6/11
D final 8/28/12

“Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.”

John Wooden

K
K
Rick, i was studying in the rutgers cafeteria way back when and the journalism class played that game with me. Their class project was to pick someone and guess what they were like, then interview them and see how close they were.
afterwards i spoke to the professor and asked his thoughts and he he said i reminded him of Hermann Hesse's Steppenwolf. and he nailed it, and that turned out to be one of my all time favorite books.

its not only a fun game, but good practice for life.

"In a ham and eggs breakfast, the hen is involved, but the pig is committed".
B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted By: Rick1963
...“You can make it a game,” says Puhn. “Pick a group of people nearby and ask, ‘What do you think is going on with them?’ Are they friends from work? Reuniting sorority sisters? The makings of a new five-girl pop band?” As you bounce the possibilities off each other, you’ll get some playful banter rolling in no time, which will help connect you two

I saw this somewhere^^^^. Thought it was interesting topic to discuss/do on a date.

Excellent point. I actually had a date do this not too long ago and it led to some amusing conversation and was quite fun. We were at an outdoor bar and she motioned over to another couple (the guy was significantly older than the woman - and no they were not a father and daughter) and said to me "so what do you think their story is?"

On another note - I just ordered myself an early Christmas present that I am soooo excited about. When I went to Scotland this past spring, I fell in love with a specific Scotch distillery called Glengoyne. It is a relatively small distillery in Glasglow but has some of the best Single Malt Scotch I've ever tasted. I brought back two bottles with me which are long since empty. I've looked far and wide here in the Virginia/Maryland/DC area for it without luck. Finally found a shop in the UK online that sells and ships it to the US, so I just ordered two bottles (one for me and one for a friend) of Glengoyne 21 year-old Single Malt Scotch. They promise delivery by next Wednesday - the trick will be to still have some come Christmas! smile

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you and safe travels if you are out on the roads this weekend.

BA

S
S
I used to play this game with a couple of DB friends 11 years ago. Ours was more along the lines of - "are they in MLC?" But we did play "what's their story" too.

Fun!

It is good to treat yourself BA. Enjoy!

Barb

W
W
BA,

Glengoyne isn't water...ya know! I still have my amaretto from a year ago and it's only half-way down.

B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted By: Wonka
BA,

Glengoyne isn't water...ya know! I still have my amaretto from a year ago and it's only half-way down.

Hey Wonka - my philosophy is that the stuff doesn't age anymore once it's in the bottle so what are ya waiting for??? Time to drink up! wink Trust me though, with what Glengoyne Scotch costs (especially 21 year-old Glengoyne) I will nurse and savor every drop!! smile

BA

M
M
BA--a pleasure meeting you this evening with Underdog. My last post is four years ago, but in looking at this thread, I was wondering if you have tried hotyoungbartenders.com? Works for me.

Keep on fighting the good fight.

Merrick
B
OP Offline
B
Merrick - likewise regarding meeting you and Underdog last Wednesday! It was a fun evening and hope we get to connect again. As for the hotyoungbartenders.com website, I think you've pretty much got the market cornered on that site! smile

BA

K
K
Glad you had fun with Betsey! I had a long conversation with her a while back. I really feel that she is a couple years ahead of me on some things that are important to me. She is a wonderful person.

How are things going otherwise?

kat

Me-53(and learning!)
S24, S21, D18, D17
Just keep swimming, Just keep swimming. Dory
B
OP Offline
B
Hey Kat! Yes we had a blast. You are right, Bets is a wonderful person and it was great to meet Merrick as well. Over the course of the evening we watched parts of three separate hockey games (CAPS, Islanders and AVs) with a few beers thrown in as well!

Things otherwise are a bit quiet. I said adieu to Regina who I had gone out with on three dates with no spark or chemistry. My plan right now is to step back from dating and enjoy the holiday season with my kids, unless of course Sandra Bullock shows up on my doorstep and tells me I'm the love of her life - in that case all bets are off!

BA

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard