Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
job Offline
Rachael,
Make copies of everything that you can get your hands on w/respect to finances. Be sure to make a list of questions that you want to ask the lawyer.

Unfortunately, I have to agree w/your counselor. It will get worse before it gets better. I'm sorry.

Good luck on Thursday.

Sit quietly, the answers will reveal themselves when you least expect them to.
The past is gone, the present is a gift and you need to focus on today, allow the future to reveal itself when it is ready.
R
OP Offline
R
Thanks snoddery
Anyone who prays I would appreciate it to get me through this.

R
OP Offline
R
Went to attorney today. He was ok but was telling me I was getting ahead of myself when I was asking questions. Like about finances . He told me to treat the divorce like a hurtle race. One thing at a time. I was asking about alimony and he said they go by 12 points which are subjective and might go to arbitration or mediation.

He said I'm too worried about h and his reaction like anger. What is wrong with me that I care about how he'll react?

I need to be more angry. Anyways the attorney told me I need to ask a realtor what house is worth without the repairs it needs. Said I may have to give it back to the bank. Won't make any money off it cuz of what's owed and equity loan h took out.

Spied h texting with an alternate phone. He thinks he's clever and getting away with something . I ran downstairs real quick just to see what he would do. Should have seen him hide it quick and walk into laundry room. Makin an excuse to find suitcase for trip he's takin this weekend. I'm going to try and find another attorney to interview just to compare .Maybe a woman. Although the guy was ok. There was a woman who was recommended to me but she had reprimands and sounded shady. I'm gonna check out women's resource center at local college.

job Offline
If you aren't comfortable w/the lawyer you saw yesterday, by all means interview another one.

As for getting ahead of yourself asking questions about finances, that was bs. That was one of the first things my lawyer and I discussed because you may become liable for some of the joint debt and you need to know what to do.

I do think he may be correct on the house issue...check it out.

Good luck!

Sit quietly, the answers will reveal themselves when you least expect them to.
The past is gone, the present is a gift and you need to focus on today, allow the future to reveal itself when it is ready.
R
OP Offline
R
Thanks. The atty was telling me a few things and how it may be too complicated for me. But I'm not that dumb. I'm going to look for another lawyer.

T
T
Find another, any lawyer who seems to not want to go over stuff in detail, answer you questions, tells you its too complicated...well, my sister and her H are lawyers and they go out of their way to ensure their clients know, and understand, everything involved.

That guy sounds like a churner, imo.

In the depths of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. - Albert Camus

Uncertainty is the very condition which impels people to unfold their powers.-Eric Fromm

S
S
Rachel,
Yes, consult another atty. until you find one that you're comfortable with. A good thing about this is that any L you consult with will not be able to represent your H even if you don't retain them.

R
OP Offline
R
I spoke to another lawyer who much better and he told me he is a bit anal about asking questions and getting answers. He was better to talk to and he told me to say nothing about any thing I know to h. I meet with him tomorrow. He said sounds like you're ready to file and I said yes I am. There was a lot of good info on his website re rights etc. he said he was sorry to hear about my sitch but he was going to help. Called me within 5 min of leaving a message . The initial cost is 3000. Then he's going to ask judge for h to pay cud I don't have a pot to piss in. Once I file he has to continue to pay bills.

R
OP Offline
R
Thanks for all the input so far. H called from CA where he's having his trip. Didn't talk long. I'm wondering if he has a plan to say he's through when he gets back. No matter. I guess I'm the one who will surprise him. Still a damn shame.

R
OP Offline
R
Need a bit of advice. The atty I spoke to yesterday is willing to meet with me for free after talking on the phone but wants me to bring money to get started when I do because I said I am ready to file. That doesn't sound good to me. Im gonna make other calls. Seems like a red flag. I think its important to sot and talk and then make a decision afterward if i prefer. This isn't the usual is it?

Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard