Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2004220 05/16/10 11:24 PM
D
deb13 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I have not posted here in a while...there hasn't been much to share. But, today I feel inclined to share some things.

I teach a Sunday School class at my church. The month of May has been focused on marriage. It has been especially interesting at times teaching these lessons because my Sunday School class consists of 10 teenagers from the age of 13-18 (two of the students are my own children). We have had some good conversations and I hope that I have been able to get across to the youth the importance of making the commitment of marriage and how it is not to be taken lightly.

Last week's lesson was on divorce and how it is not God's intention for couples to divorce. I felt a little awkward teaching that lesson, since I, myself, was divorced and now remarried. However, my students all know me and by now they know some of the details as to why my first marriage ended the way it did.

Today's lesson started out a little difficult because we discussed Ephesians 5:22-24 and how wives are to submit to their husbands. This was a concept that I had never fully understood; but, after today's lesson, I think I have a better understanding.

We also discussed some of the responsibilites that a husband and wife each have in the marriage. It was interesting to hear the responses they had. However, I don't think their views were all that different from my own.

The part of today's lesson that I most enjoyed came from Ephesians 5:25-33 and 1 Peter 3:7. We discussed how the husband is to love his wife as Christ loved the Church and how both the husband and wife should be willing to die for his/her spouse. How we should have each other's best interest at heart. How we should not focus only on what makes us happy, but on what makes our spouse happy...Sacrificial love. And, finally, we discussed how we should not only love one another, but also honor and respect one another. I shared w/ my class that marriage is not just a matter of repeating our vows...that the journey does not stop there. I compared it to a seed that is planted and how it needs to be nurtured and cared for....not just for a little while, but until death do we part.

Of course, there was more to the lesson than I have room to share here; but, I hope that I somehow managed to get across to them the importance of marriage and the commitment it involves. While, I have thoroughly enjoyed our lessons this month, it saddens me how we as couples are often too quick to let our marriages and our spouse's feelings fall by the wayside. We often lose sight of the things that brought us together in the first place. We forget to nurture our love and our marriage. We forget to honor and respect one another. We neglect to find each other's love language and then do what is necessary to keep our spouse's love tank full.

Now, for a quick update....since I last posted here, my oldest son (age 25) has moved back home. He has been working full time; however, he still has 2 classes to complete in order to receive his college degree (Electrical Engineering). Not much is happening w/ the other children. The greatest news is that in about 2 months, Bill will be making the move to NC!! After 2 years of living apart, we will finally get to truly live as husband and wife!! I am so excited! But, I also know that there will be adjustments that will have to be made by everyone. Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers as we move forward in our journey together. My prayer is that I am the wife that not only Bill wants me to be, but that God wants me to be. I long to be a Godly wife and mother. To be a wife that Bill can love, honor, respect, and be proud to have by his side.

Thanks!

M:June 28,2008
H:Awesome Man!
S:28
SS:25
SS:21
D:19
S:16

"Love Never Fails!"

"God doesn't take anything out of our lives without replacing it with something far better." -Billy Graham
deb13 #2004241 05/17/10 12:18 AM
G
G

Thank you for sharing Deb!

>>>@Deb="Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers as we move forward in our journey together."

It's my guess that your journey together is going to be a great one...

Best,

Sunny

Date of separation 4/23/07

DB under Warm&Sunny 4/07

married 9 yrs

sons 6yr & 17yr
L
L
i'm excited for you and Bill. I have never known any couple as selfless as the two of you. I know that you will enjoy your time together in a way that few other couples experience.

Lotus #2004432 05/17/10 10:46 AM
D
deb13 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thank you, Sunny and Lotus, for your kind words!

"Love Never Fails!"

"God doesn't take anything out of our lives without replacing it with something far better." -Billy Graham
deb13 #2005388 05/18/10 05:02 PM
Deb,
Thanks for your well wishes over on my thread in mlc. I thought I would respond here on your thread rather than drag mine back up.

I am so very happy for you and Bill. Two months is nothing after 2 years. It will be in the past before you know it. How's the organizing going? Is there room for his things yet? tee hee! {Sorry, Bill but girls just need more space. grin }

You and Bill are in my thoughts and prayers as you prepare for this new phase of your life together.

*hugs*
~ swl

Look not mournfully into the past. It comes not back again. Wisely improve the present. It is thine. Go forth to meet the shadowy future, without fear. {Henry Wadsworth Longfellow}
D
deb13 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Hey, SWL!! Thank you for your support these past couple of years. Some really good friendships have been formed here, haven't they?

I can't tell you how excited I am that it is getting closer and closer to the day when Bill and I are finally together in one house! As I told him the other day, while I am certainly thrilled that this time apart is getting ready to end, it really has not been as bad as I was afraid it would be. Don't get me wrong, I have had my moments during the past two years...LOL. But, I know we have a strong foundation and I truly love him with all my heart!

I am afraid to say that I get a little lazy on the weekends at times, so I am not quite finished w/ the organizing. But, I am seeing a light at the end of the tunnel! YAY!! Time is definitely getting to be a factor, now. smile

Thank you for your prayers. Continue to remember us.

And, please continue to keep in touch!

Wishing you nothing but the best that life has to offer!

Deb

"Love Never Fails!"

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard