Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 13 of 16 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 16
B
OP Offline
B
I went on a little road trip early this week with a girlfriend and had a great time! I finally ate at benihana! It was pretty neat! I had lunch with a friend smile A good time was had by all!

On my drive home I think that I saw more moose than I have in a long time! Probably about 8 in a 50 mile stretch- and those are just the ones that I saw! It was a dark night, no streetlights, I guess I would equate it to driving down the road and having large horses grazing on the sides of the road free to roam wherever they want, including into traffic. When the snow starts to get deep they sometimes come down and use the roads to travel.

When I finally got home, I checked on my grants and I got them all! Even two that I didnt know I applied for. Its more than enough to pay for school and books. I have some questions about what it all means, but I guess that its pretty good news.

I say "I guess" because emotionally, I feel very strange about it all. I should be stoked, but I havent quite gotten there yet. Maybe its the possibility of severing the ties that I still have to the "old life". One of the grants is for students with "exceptional financial need" I saw that and burst into tears. Who saw that coming?! crazy

I know that this is the chance that I have been waiting for, and all I have to do is take it. And Im sure that Ill get over being labelled as having "exceptional financial need"! This is it guys, I have some pretty heavy duty decisions to make in the next little while.

I guess I gave the wrong finger to the wrong man...
U
U
Originally Posted By: bluerain
I went on a little road trip early this week with a girlfriend and had a great time! I finally ate at benihana! It was pretty neat! I had lunch with a friend smile A good time was had by all!

Kudos! I love places like that!

Moose, huh? Someday I hope I get to see one in person...but not too close. I have heard they can be pretty mean.

When I finally got home, I checked on my grants and I got them all! Even two that I didnt know I applied for. Its more than enough to pay for school and books. I have some questions about what it all means, but I guess that its pretty good news.

That's awesome!!! Congrats! Oh, and btw...try renting books from websites like chegg.com whenever possible. It will save you a TON of money. I saved over $200 just this semester, so look into it. grin

I say "I guess" because emotionally, I feel very strange about it all. I should be stoked, but I havent quite gotten there yet. Maybe its the possibility of severing the ties that I still have to the "old life". One of the grants is for students with "exceptional financial need" I saw that and burst into tears. Who saw that coming?! crazy

I know that this is the chance that I have been waiting for, and all I have to do is take it. And Im sure that Ill get over being labeled as having "exceptional financial need"! This is it guys, I have some pretty heavy duty decisions to make in the next little while.

Does it matter how we "should" feel about something? Feelings don't make sense! You can make these choices and make yourself happy. wink I believe in you!

undefeated 24
H 24
S's 4, 2, 1
M 5 yrs

"Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all." ~Dale Carnegie
B
OP Offline
B
lol, yeah undefeated, it definately didnt make sense! It just struck me the wrong way I guess. Im a junior now, and I havent gotten ANY grants or scholarships, just loans, so these grants are really an amazing thing, and I really need them.

Work has been insanely busy- everyone needs booze for christmas I guess! Its nice, the days go by really fast, and all of the extra time will make for a nice paycheck!

Merry Christmas everyone!!!

B
OP Offline
B
Well, I hate to cheer someone elses misfortune... but, one of my people broke her ankle yesterday and I will be covering her shifts for the next 6 weeks. Thats going to be around 50 hours a week and Im not going to lie, I really need the $$$.

So, Im seriously considering making a pretty irresponsible decision... but its really tempting... A girlfriend wants me to go on a cruise with her in oct. I have airline miles for the plane ticket, and I could save just the OT money for 2 weeks and pay for it. The last time that I left the state was in 2005, when I had our late honeymoon with my ex. And that was the first vacation that I had been on in years.

I havent decided yet, but I guess you can tell where Im leaning!

U
U
Ouch, sorry for her broken ankle. But the money is a big help for you!

I went on a cruise in February with my H and parents - I had a wonderful time! I highly recommend it. Actually, I've been seriously considering taking one for and by myself after I get settled in AZ. grin Not responsible for me, but fun to think about anyway.

I hope you go. grin You deserve it.

undefeated 24
H 24
S's 4, 2, 1
M 5 yrs

"Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all." ~Dale Carnegie
B
OP Offline
B
We are going to do inventory over the next two weeks, and today my boss asked me if I wanted to help. I said yes, that will make 60 hour work weeks for the next 2 weeks!

I dropped all of my classes last night and registered for all online classes. That will remove the looming deadline to be in the city by the time that classes start, and let me work at the store until that girl is able to come back to work. It will also give me a totally open schedule to accept the offer of full time employment that I know will come any day now! smile And I was able to find a class that I had been really wanting to take (Drugs and drug dependence) online, so Im excited about that.

So, as it stands right now, I think that the plan is to continue to work at the store, then go back to FWS in march/april, save and work my tail off for the summer, and plan on being in the city for the fall semester. I dont know, its the wisest way to do things... but Im motivated to move now!

U
U
Online classes are an amazing way to make college flexible. IDK if you've done a lot of them before, but please be careful. It is easy to think that they are easier or less demanding. It's too easy to procrastinate and then have to cram all your work into a few hours. blush Ask me how I know that. My entire degree was done online.

It sounds like you're making great positive steps forward! Thanks for being a beacon for some of us who haven't made it through yet. grin

undefeated 24
H 24
S's 4, 2, 1
M 5 yrs

B
OP Offline
B
Ive been working full time for most of my degree, so about a third of the classes have been online. And NONE of what I am taking right now is offered at the campus that I go to- another reason that I need to move! lol.

U
U
Oh, good! I have some friends who thought they'd take online classes to have it easy. Boy did they get a shock!

I have never lived near my campus for more than three or four months at a time! LOL, that's how I ended up with an all online degree.

Hope you're having a good day! grin

undefeated 24
H 24
S's 4, 2, 1
M 5 yrs

F
F
Happy New Year! Get rich quick!!

I am home from Wasilla. We never zippered our parkas. Maybe winter will arrive, but it is not there yet.

I thought about you very much while I was laughing with my family. My grand-daughters are choosing their life plans. My DIL favors "Accounting" for Hannah who is in love with the ocean and animals but happens to excel in calculus. Whatever happened to the advice that we should all 'do what we love'? I suppose we would all be paupers in abusive relationships.

Whatever. I do know that practical choices are best. You and my DIL are both smart and special. You will get what you need by continuing to work hard and do what it takes to get by.

I visited the Iditarod headquarters and took pictures of the crispy sled dog heroes from the past. I forced my kids to pose with them. They were laughing.

I really do love Alaska and could easily adapt to it. It is changing, though...

B.R. keep imagining your next good job.

Or boyfriend. Imagine him. He is probably an Newfoundland puppy being born next week.

Page 13 of 16 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 16

Moderated by  Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard