Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#92859 11/16/02 08:10 AM
Tia Offline OP
OP Offline
Hey gang!
I hope you all are thriving. I want to ask, who is the originator of the phrase, "going dark"? I thought it was Peter (a.k.a Tech God/Sam)! However, I read in Rays' 2001 post that svolt came up with it. Rays and GG, is this true? Does anyone know?

Thanks,
/Tia

#92860 11/16/02 09:38 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Tia,

I could have been wrong. I've been wrong once or twice in my life. What in heck were you doing reading my old posts? Pretty pathetic, weren't they?

Somebody else must be lurking that could answer your question.

It's nice to hear from you. I need to email you so we can chat a bit. I'll do that soon. Right now I'm going to bed.

Bye for now.

rayanne

#92861 11/16/02 11:17 AM
Tia -

No idea, it was before my time.

BUT - how are YOU? How's about an update (life, school, romances?).

Ed

#92862 11/16/02 11:57 AM
Tia, the phrase "going dark" was being used when I first posted to the board back in April of 99. I'm not sure any one person could be singled out as far as it's usuage with DB techniques. The phrase itself has been around for decades. It's original use was in the theatre I think to signify that a play was closing. I had heard it used many times before I came to the board. There are "going dark" clauses in contracts and it is sometimes said that people who boycott a job have "gone dark."

I would like to think that my ex came up with the concept...he was and still is very talented when it comes to "going dark." He could give lessons!! My therapist has used the term several times so I'm thinking it's just one of those things that has always been there.
Cathy

#92863 11/16/02 01:54 PM
Tia,Dmac used that alot and even called himself darkman.

Thrive/dont just survive Think good thoughts Hug your kids peace
#92864 11/17/02 11:40 AM
Tia Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Rays, Ed, Cathy, and Sal. Nice to hear from you!

Rays, I don't think that your earlier posts are pathetic. We've come a long way since then.

Ed, thanks for asking about me. I'm doing well. I decided to severe all contact with wasband. It has helped me tremendously. Of course I think of him, but my sentiments are controlled. Currently, I'm still in school. I also have a new set of friends. Also, I'm not actively dating. Its strange not to have a significant other. But, there's probably a reason for that.

Cathy, I wasn't aware that "going dark" was used that extensively. How interesting!

Yeah, Sal, Darkman used the phrase "going dark". Still, I think that Peter was the originator.

Hope you all are doing fine.

Take care,
/Tia

#92865 11/17/02 09:27 PM
GG Offline
Tia,
I think it was Volt who coined the phrase. April 99 was a little early for Peter. I don't think he joined the board til a little later.

Anyway, how the heck are you, sister? Loooonnngggg time no hear from!!! We've been wondering when you would surface again. Good for you for sticking with school. What did you end up doing for your program? The last time we "spoke" you were trying to decide between two. Write me, OK? My email at work is the same.

I am saving my FF miles for a trip to HI. So, I will come visit you. Eric's ship is off the coast of Iraq again. It makes me a little nervous since it seems war is still a strong possibility. I can't wait til he's out of the Navy, in August.

Well, I'll talk to you later.
GG

#92866 11/18/02 04:01 AM
Tia Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello GG!
Great to hear from you. I understand what a relief it'll be to have Eric out of the Navy. Well, August is not too far. I would enjoy meeting you, GG. Boy, would we have things to discuss. I'll e-mail you in a few days. I'm a little "under the weather" right now.

I think that Peter was an old messageboard member. Though, he and svolt registered with this board in 1999. However, svolt registered a month earlier. I'm just curious to know whom is the originator of the phrase, "going dark". Call me a_al. But, I want to give credit where credit is due.

I don't know what you mean by April 99.

All the Best,
/Tia

#92867 11/18/02 04:37 AM
GG Offline
Tia,
I was referring the post by Cathy47, she said she joined in April 99 and was hearing the "go-dark" phrase used back then. I joined in May of 99 and Peter was after me. That's how I came to the conclusion that it wasn't Peter and may have been Svolt who came up with it. But, if you say that Volt was after April of 99, then it couldn't have been him either, if Cathy saw it in April. Hmmmm....some detective work is in order...better call Wonder Woman.

Why are you concerned with crediting the author? Are you writing a book or what?

Take care,
GG

#92868 11/18/02 06:38 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It was somebody who was posting back and forth a lot to Mick when he was using the handle "Australian". I thought I remembered it being svolt. It definitely was back in 99. Just don't remember what month.

Hope you feel better Tia. Hi GG.

rayanne

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard