Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#1807935 07/24/09 10:57 PM
L
lodo Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Hey all,

Haven't been on in awhile. Feeling a bit low so thought I'd jump on again for a bit. Been reading and keeping up on old friends' sitches.

In a nutshell - D in 10/08. XW wants to be friends and I've somewhat reciprocated but don't open myself up to her. Just listen.

Got laid off in June. Now feel a bit of a failure, though I'm trying hard to keep a PMA. Just seems the cards are a bit stacked right now, I guess.

XW hired me to do some contract work. Has also asked to have dinner several times. What became apparent quickly was that she has no relationship skills but is a world-class woman professionally. Somehow, realizing this allowed me to totally drop my feelings towards her altogether. But I don't have anything to replace it yet.

Not sure what her motivations - she keeps wanting to bring up old times when we're together and she seems to want my opinion on things - but I'm using the connection to keep money pressures down and trying to decide what to do next. So far haven't got a single call back for an interview. Oh well, I guess. It's a bit hard to stomach, though.

Anyway, just needed to sound off. Some of you may remember me. lodo

song is, as usual, Patty Griffin:

She says I deserve much better than this
It's getting pretty plain to see
She tells her boss,"here's my butt,
Why don't you give it a kiss-
You got all you're gonna get outta me"
Twenty years ago with time in a glass
Graduation day to pave the way
Nothing to show but a life moving too fast
And a fear of almost everything
And a fear of almost everything

But they say get down under these clouds
I was born down under these clouds
So I stand up and sing it out loud
Someone's still alive under their shroud
And I don't wanna die
Under these clouds

Her momma tried real hard not to pass it along
And so her Momma did before that
Somewhere, some day,
Someone's singin' their song
How everything good goes bad
And it really was a gradual thing
Passed as easy as a cigarette
You wake up one day wrapped in a ball of string
Feelin' nothing good's happened to you yet
Feels like nothing good's happened to you yet

But they say get down under these clouds
I was born down under these clouds
So I stand up and sing it out loud
Someone's still alive under their shroud
And I don't wanna die
Under these clouds

Divorced: 10/26/08
S
S
Hmm.

First we don't hear from you in forever, and then we get a 2 word greeting. What gives? Where you been? Whatcha been doing? Tell us the news!

L
lodo Offline OP
OP Offline
L
lol - DB was being weird and suddenly posted before I'd even started typing.

I revised my post. Other than, not doing much except playing too much word twist!

L
lodo Offline OP
OP Offline
L
And I guess what I originally wanted to say and was prevented from by the sudden posting, was that I feel stuck. Really stuck.

I go out and do stuff, I try to stay busy, but I just haven't met anyone I'd like to spend time with and now I have no job so am at home way too much.

Just feel isolated and a failure. I know it's only a matter of rebuilding self-esteem and finding what you truly enjoy but it all seems overwhelming right now. Anyone have advice?

thanks, lodo

S
S
Hi Lodo -

Nice to hear from you again. It is good that you have lost the feelings about your XW. That in itself, allows you to move forward without hesitation.

I think that I can understand the being stuck you are in. Maybe you need to do some totally new activity or hobby.

EDITED - ADVERTISING is NOT ALLOWED. You must comply with the DivorceBusting.com Board Rules if you would like to continue the privilege of posting here.

In the What box, type in NPS and then click the Run Search button. The pay may not be what you are looking for, but some of those jobs may be just your calling.

Last edited by Tia; 08/27/09 06:57 AM.
K
K
Hey, Lodo. Good to see you back. I'm job hunting too!

Have you ever thought about writing or cooking? I always thought you were great at both...I've missed ya!

Karen

Me 53
D18, S24
R
R
Hey, lodo!!

Take a look at What Color is My Parachute. This might be a time to start everything over for you, an opportunity to break the mold.
And make sure to take a few days, at least, to revert back to "Summer Vacation" mode, like when we were kids. It will come around again.

L
lodo Offline OP
OP Offline
L
hey guys

Kerry - good idea but i think i'm allergic to uniforms and straight-brimmed hats

Hi karen! hope you're doing well

Donna, everyone keeps telling me that i'll look back at this time as the moment when life really began. As much as I keep telling myself that'll be the case, it's a little hard to believe.

just feeling sorry for myself, I guess. I have no room to complain at all - I got a severance package when I was laid off and I set aside some savings when XW bought the house, so I don't have money problems. I can't go out and live the high life, but as long as I stick close to my budget, I'll be okay for awhile.

Just wish I didn't feel so stuck and incapable of moving forward into something new. I could totally ditch my life and do something crazy, but there are things I want to accomplish and I enjoy living where I'm at, so I don't know. Maybe deep down I'm scared of change and it's holding me back. Maybe not.

Would be different if I could meet a woman I'd like to spend time with, but so far I haven't felt like dating anyone for more than a few dinners.

Okay, enough whining. I'm off to escalate the war with some ground squirrels that are burrowing under my tomatoes.

lodo

S
S
I don't understand the layoff thing. I thought you were in a Masters program. Did they give you the degree? I was unemployed for 11 months, but now I have found some consulting work in my field, and I am hearing about another potential project. So you may find some things you can work on. Keep beating the ground with the people you know.

L
lodo Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I'm in a evening masters program for working adults. Am using the layoff time to try and finish up my thesis - should be done by october. I was supposed to finish last month, but I stumbled upon some research that completely changed my whole thesis and required a new chapter.

And you're right, things crop up. That's why I decided to do consulting work for XW - it'd be good experience, look good on my resume, and keep me occupied. I'm also doing some volunteer work for a non-profit and am doing my own side-project. the last 2 don't pay anything but the experience is good to have, i like doing it, and I'm hoping to get some exposure to new possibilities by doing the work.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard