Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1780033 06/08/09 03:51 PM
B
brknhrt Offline OP
OP Offline
B
final hearing date set for the 15th of July.I really dont want the divorce. Today I snt her a text explaining the fact that I thought are divorce was a big mistake. I told her I loved her and missed her and the kids. I didnt even get a response back from her! We have had alot of problems but I am very faithful and believe God can bring us back together. My problem is I cant deal with the fact that she is moving forward and seems to be over everything. I could really use some advice on how to go about my daily life and what I should do and not do to win her back. I do not argue with her or ever get mad. Are relationship seems very distant and cold. I moved out two weeks ago. If she is over everything why does she still have all of our family photos still up in our house and our wedding pictures as well. I really want things to work out and Im in prayer daily. I feel God is working in my life and is bringing me closer to that man he wants me to be and not the man I used to be. Obviously, Im here as before I would not. I hurt like you all probably have or do and just want some advice on how I should go about in dealing with whole situation. Please know that Im completely dedicated to working on this and myself in order for her to see the man she was supposed to have. Is there any hope? please help!

M
M
Have you read DR or DB? Get those asap!

You've just broken the first rule of DB. Don't beg and cry to your spouse about the D.

Second thing. Move back into the house ASAP! If she wants the D, then she should leave. Not you.

Write in your whole situation and about your married life. Put in your ages, kids, how long been married, etc.

The more you give us, the more we can help.'

Hang in there and have faith!

stuck

M-43 W-40
2D - 9 and 5

Emotion, yet peace.
Ignorance, yet knowledge.
Passion, yet serenity.
Chaos, yet harmony.
Death, yet a new life.

RECONCILED AND WISER
B
brknhrt Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I have been reading more and more and realize wife is in a state of complete retreat. I believe she is keeping the door open for reconciliation but it will have to come more from me then anything to prove to her that she can trust me again I realize I cannot beg her as you said this is rule one. I am getting book today t library and will finish it soon. Im eager to be the husband,father and friend that I should be. I have more patience then anything right now and realize that is a good friend. I am writing more daily so as to put this in perpespective. I dont believe she really wants to be divorced but she said she is tired and needs to heal from the pain I caused her. I work on myself daily and spend as much time as I can with the girls as I can. Keep sending me your input as it is greatly appreciated

B
brknhrt Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I have been married 16yrs in July and I have 2 daughters ages 15 and 9.My wife is very controlling only due to the fact the she has been hurt so. I believe this her protection mechanism to guard against further pain. I had afair with exgf early on in marriage. This happened after my mom was murdered amd I felt my wife didnt console me at all. I made pitfall mistake in turning to exgf in time of sorrow which led to us sleeping together twice. I ended it as I said it wrong she forwarde letter to my house and my wife opened it. It didnt say what was going on but my w felt something was after a fw weeks wife met het and they talked. She told her Wife eveything. I left for a week. Wife said come home I said only if for right reasons. She said you have a daughter. Things were very rocky naturally after this. I knew it would take time for her but it never seemed like she forgave me. I never talked to exgf since not one time. I worked very hard to restore marriage and wife was in limbo. we had second child 5 yrs later. Sex was about 1 month and staarted to get even worst. 1-3/yr. I miss being married and really want my faimily back Im in counceling and he is a christian counselor. He believes I have a passive demeanor as opposed to my wife who is controlling. He said she picked me becuase her 1st husband was strong personality type. He started to get physical with her and she left before it got out of hand. He pushed her a couple of times and she left.The counselor said she felt like I was a safe pick and would be easy to control. I believe that to be true as Im very laid back. I know in my heart I still love her and want to fight for her but according to this site you have to kind of ignore them and work on yourself. That is what Im doing and want to be the best husband,father and friend that I can be!
Look forward to your comments

M
M
Okay, another important rule around here...

Keep only one thread so people can respond and write to you. You're all over the place right now because you're panicking. Stop it and calm down.

M-43 W-40
2D - 9 and 5

Emotion, yet peace.
Ignorance, yet knowledge.
Passion, yet serenity.
Chaos, yet harmony.
Death, yet a new life.

RECONCILED AND WISER
I
I
Brkenmrg: I agree with the other posters, PLEASE just keep 1 thread about your story, I think I counted 4 of em! I was trying to read your story and it's all over the place.

Please also update your "signature" so people can easily see your situation (called "sitch" here.

I know patience is super hard right now, and it sounds like you get that this will be a long hard road and you accept that, but while you are waiting for responses, (and they WILL come, trust me) why don't you continue your reading on DR or DB or answering other unanswered posts (like you've been doing)? It's really theraputic I've found, to read that others are going through similar situations and then when you respond to them, you also are reinforcing the same actions and ideas in yourself, so it's easier for you to get strong on them.

I like your tone of your posts and your honesty in disclosing your situation. You sound like you earnestly want to mend this and gave us a good idea about what may have initially triggered this (the affair so early on that she never really 100% forgave you on), but since then, and in the months and days before she filed for divorce (some 14 + years AFTER the brief affair) what do you think was the trigger that pushed her over the edge and made her determined to finally end it by filing?

Was it a friend of hers filing for divorce, or a loss in her family or is she going through a MLC or ?

As far as coldness and distance goes, I absolutely know how incredibily hard that can be, cause I'm going through it too right now. I do agree with another poster who told you to move back home, because if she's the one who wants the D, she should be the one leaving! I agree. It's also a very good sign for you that she was upset you got your mail forwarded and that she still has all those family and wedding photos up. It means while she has checked out to some degree, she still has some hope and faith that it is not completely over, otherwise she wouldn't bother to care.

So while she is acting so cold and distant, realize that is an act because her actions are betraying her true feelings. For example, my H now cannot even look at me when he talks to me. Our MC says this is because he has to try really hard to detach, and it's not easy for him. This means to me he is still attached to some degree, which is always hopeful. My H is also very controlling like your W and I too am very easy going because you have to be to live with someone like that. So, I think for the both of us, our 180's need to show that we are being much more distant by being super busy by not accepting the silent treatment from them. I think a way to do this would NOT to talk to them, but instead be cheerful and sunny looking when you enounter the spouse, and have energetic and busy body language. In other words, don't become controlling, but the 180 is to show you (us) are no longer letting their controlling behavior (ignorning, coldness) getting to us, the more easy going, probably more sensitve spouses. How does that sound?

Here's another example of how I didn't let my controlling spouse control me any longer... I love gardening, and since we have been arguing so much this spring, and I actually left for 2 weeks in early April, I hadn't done anything with the garden. We had talked about me putting in a veggie garden in the backyard earlier but hadn't ever decided on a specific place. So, I asked him about it like I'd ask a 3 year old something (I don't have a 3 yo, but this is what I've seen on "SuperNanny"...you don't ask them if they want to brush their teeth for bed, but you give them options that include all of the above) "Jimmy, which toothbrush do you want to use, your electric Seasame Street one, or the red Superman brush?". I asked him merely if he he had a preference to WHERE I would put it in. He got all flustered and said "Don't dig up MY lawn"! He owned the house solo before I moved in and sold my condo. Guess what I did? When he was gone, I did dig my garden, but made it much smaller and less obtrusive than I would have done. This was in part because I found it incredibly hard breaking up the lawn and also to somewhat respect his boundries. But my point here is that I went about doing what I love to do and didn't let him stop me nor control me.

In fact, I take care of all the gardening now, and weeding, and it has never looked better. I know that he is tickled that "his" plants are doing so well right now. Also, I've found gardening incredibly theraputic, from watching new life emerge day by day from seeds to enjoying removing weeds when I'm in a frusterated mood! It also keeps me busy and out of our very small house, which is important, because I'm trying to give him his space.

Ok, this went on and on, but I wanted to give you some help hopefully because I hear myself in your pleas for help and answers. This is such a very hard time in your life. While I'm sorry to hear that you are going through this, congratulations on finding us here, and keep your head up knowing that you sound like you are truly doing everything you possibly can to preserve your marriage.

You sound like you are open minded and willing to do the hard work needed to save your marriage and that means a lot. I do want to warn you though, about something that I read in the (newer book) DR - Michelle says that I think is especially relevant for those of us who are married to controlling people....no matter what we do, as the LBS (left behind spouse I think, as opposed to the WAS Walk away spouse, as far as emotionally), we cannot always save the marriage, even if we do 99% of the work.

See, the spouse has to be somewhat receptive and open to the potentiallity of changing their mind, and I personally think that my H made his up weeks ago since he is such a "black and white" type thinker, that we are done. I may never be able to change his mind, and I want you to consider this for yourself in advance for your situation too, becasue as spouses of controlling people most likely we are the ones who always have done all the changing [i] . Now, they have to change their minds, and sometimes I don't think controlling people can do this unless they think the idea is theirs and theirs alone. Does this make sense? So, for the record, I am NO LONGER saying anything to my spouse ever about "saving the marriage" or "working on the marriage" or anything because I want him to think that I've given up and moved on. Frankly, I think this is the only way I have a chance he might, possibly change his mind. And honestly, I'm half way there already, because I'm sick of being miserable.

Eventually, if you act "as if" you have a life, or GAL, you will start to feel better. I've joined a group of women through meetup.com and absolutely FORCED myself to go out to events and get out of the house. I did this even though i would feel tired or not 100% by the time of the event, or it would be too pricey or whatever. Going out and seeing other people energises me and gets my mind out of this damn situation for awhile = priceless, especially right now. It lets my spouse see that I'm not just sitting her crying 24/7. So, trust in this, and focus some of your energy back on work and GAL and doing some cool things with your kids, ignore your spouse, but move back in. Don't mention the D or the relationship at all.

Good luck to you, let's keep in touch here!

Me: 36
H: 34
M: 1 yr
T: 2 yrs
D: filed by H 5/21/09, served 06/08/09, first court date for "maintenance" as well as a plea to restart Marriage Counseling and attend a Marriage workshop 8/24
B
brknhrt Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Im sorry about the jumping around Im new to this and didnt realize you are only supposed to keep one thread. I went to MC today and he thought my wife pulling back was a chance to see if her true emotions woul come out! Boy was he right when I told her I wasnt going to change the mail forwarding she got real mad and hung up on me. Later she called and apologized! Then said she wanted the girls to be in a safe environment where they will be happy. She asked me if I could do that for them! I love my kids dearly. today I took my youngest daughter to lunch,library, and then we came home watched a Shirley Temple movie and ate ice cream. On the way to the library she said" dad do you still love mom?" I said "yes honey and I love you too!" She answered thats what I thought too" God bless her she is my little angel! That girl has about the tenderest of hearts. She once got upset at my wife for killing a spider. She loves life itself and cant stand for anything to be killed! Even WEEDS! LOL! I love her so much and hope that this journey will come full circle someday. Its funny we were at the ball park the otherday and my YD said dad can you go out to eat with us and I looked at my wife for her response and she said she didnt care. Now I know in my heart she did this for her because when we arrived there my oldest daughter put herself first in the booth with my wife across from me.She quickly leaned over and switched seats with my daughter so as not to be seated across directly from me.This action alone quickly reminded me of our situation. How painful sometimes those little things can be. We only think its small at the time but then again every forest fire starts with a small match! I let it go as I know there is one place for my heart to be and that is with the Lord above HIS MAJESTY!

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard