F
fig Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Tough question here...

We have a dog...about 3 or 4...pound dog

anyway

he is basically like a fat watermelon type dog and never does anything

moonfluff had her kittens and shorty has been kept outside with scooby the wonder peeing dog

tonight...shorty was left in the house while we went out to eat and he ate a kitten!!!!

my poor hardy#2 walked in while it was happening and is so traumatized that he can hardly function

so

baboo smacked him and threw him outside and now he snaps whenever baboo goes toward him

what the crap is this about???

do I need to put my dog down

i can't have him alpha maling it all over the place because what about little kids???

i am sick

fig #1591420 09/14/08 03:24 AM
E
E
holy crap Fig..that's not good.

How old is the dog?? Has the dog ever shown any aggression? Is the dog showing any other weird signs besides eating cats and snapping at Big Hands??

I once saw a mother rabbit eat one of her young..I'm serious..so it happens I guess.

Something is up with that dog. I believe I'd let a vet check him..and I would definitely keep kids away from him.

ernest88 #1591426 09/14/08 03:40 AM
F
fig Offline OP
OP Offline
F
i had a cat who ate her kittens all the time

my dad said it was because she was used to being an outside cat and that she knew that kittens would hold her back

(MLC cat??????)

I have no idea what to do but my poor HArdy#2 is like the animal whisperer and he looks like he saw his friend get hit by a bus!!!!

blech

i think we will have to give him to the pound which will be traumatic for everyone too

blech

fig #1591431 09/14/08 03:54 AM
C
C
(MLC cat??????)
==================
oh figgi, you one in a million!!

My dog ate my son's goldfishes, he must've saw them as misterious things moving, never had seen such creatures before so he chew them to death, and he's a sweet little bichon.
I dont' think the poor ol' thing meant harm, he just saw something foreign and his animal nature kicked in and just swalled the poor kitten.

I'm sorry H2 saw it (my son sobbed hard as he was the one who accidently stepped on the carcasses of his fishes, was mad at the dog but then forgave him), help him understand that the dog isnt' evil, he just acted upon his animal instincts (at least that's my opinion)

Be not afraid...I will repay you for the years the locusts have eaten Joel2

30something
2kids
survivor of S, MLC, A, D
I have peace in my heart, at last.
fig #1591435 09/14/08 03:56 AM
R
R
Before you do that......

(Ugh, I can SO relate to young Hardy....I am an animal person)

It could very well be that the dog was going by instinct to chase (and eat) small game....what kind of dog is he? How old?

If he is a ratter, and has never been around a kitten, it may have just been a case of mistaken identity. How old / mobile was the kitten?

Snapping at BH is another thing....does he have a history of this? Is he protective of his food or toys? Sounds like he is showing fear-aggression with your man (with good reason, if he got smacked). If he has never done this before, and you want to keep him, BH may have to take over being the one to feed him and give him positive rewards for a while, to gain the dog's trust back.

Please don't throw the dog out for that, if you can. If he really has become a danger, you would just be passing the problem along. Might be better to put him down, if that is the case.

cat03 #1591438 09/14/08 04:02 AM
B
B
Figgy mistyped. The dog's 3 or 4 years old. He weighs about 40 lbs or so.

I'm not terribly impressed with him right now. He left Hardy 2 seeing something he should never have had to. And he is not endearing himself any further snapping at me.

BigHands #1591450 09/14/08 04:11 AM
R
R
I'd be more concerned about the snapping, even though the killing is so atrocious to us.

Any other signs of aggression or fear? It is actually fear-biters who are more of a problem...

F
fig Offline OP
OP Offline
F
nope

the only other time was when he peed and i was trying to pull him from underneath something

otherwise

no

he shares his food with the other dog and with the cat

he was licking them before
and nuzzling them back into their box

the kitten just started walking

and

it looked like it may have had some albinoism to it (reddish eyes etc)

fig #1591456 09/14/08 04:18 AM
R
R
No, they aren't smart enough to "weed out" according to those traits....but licking and nuzzling with lots of tail-wagging and excitement is more about the triggering of the hunt instinct than with nurturing.

Does he ever play "tag" with the cat?

Can you or BH put you hand in the bowl while he is eating? Take away a bone or favorite toy without a growl?

BigHands #1591457 09/14/08 04:21 AM
S
S
I think instinct had to kick in on the dog. I had my cats disappear a couple months ago - most likely coyotes. My last dog was on the wild side too and would only chase a cat if the cat ran otherwise it would just play gently with the cats head in its mouth. I dont know, maybe the kitty scratched the dog.

My brother had a rottwieler that would clean out the kitty litter box every morning. And it was a girl dog - not very lady like.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard