Thank you Gerda. I was wondering how you are doing and what you’re up to. Glad you are getting some time away at the cabin.

For my daughter’s birthday - her now being a home owner - I got her a cordless impact driver and hammer drill. Good quality tools that will last a lifetime. The same brand name I’ve been using for three decades. Heck, I’m still using the same tools. Although the hand grips are becoming quite worn down. Some of the fatherly talk I passed in to her: Good quality tools.

I also got her a set of hand tools. One of those 500 piece sets with all kinds of tools, plus drill bits, screw driver bits, and so on. Much more quantity over quality in this case. Again, the fatherly talk was some of the tools that you find you use often, buy those as good ones. Lots of these you’ll likely never even touch in your entire life. Invest into that which is utilized.

She is working on lots of projects and upgrades in her abode and yard. When her and I have done a few fixes around her place, and she’s paid close attention and asked questions. It is interesting the shift in one when they become home owners rather than renters. Now a garbage can or shower head is an excellent gift. Lol.

There are times I realize, I’m teleported back, to me working side by side with my Dad. Such importance this mentoring. And yes, as child gets older and moves away, those times become far less. The projects in these next years, the time side by side, are pure gold - for both. I, of course, could not see the depth of that when I was the youngster working with my Dad.

My second oldest son has also become a recent homeowner. In fact, I am going there this weekend to help him build a shed. Loading up my tools. And preparing for his upcoming birthday. Son and I have talked, and he would much appreciate such quality tools as well.

My oldest and his GF have owned their house for a while now. And yes, I have easy gift ideas for them too. smile

My fourth kids, the third oldest, is still renting. He has a few tools for the few tasks he needs to do. He did need a ladder though. And he was very happy with the new shower head to replace the one currently installed. His current project this last weekend was building himself a new computer. I’m getting his old one. Yay! It’s light years ahead of mine.

My Mom, with my and S22’s help, got a new computer. A laptop to replace her old desktop. This new laptop’s portability is part of her gift, her bucket list. Mom and I, in two weeks, are going on vacation. We are going to various genealogy important places to her. Where the family made landfall when immigrating. Where folks lived, married, and such. With her laptop, she can enter and look up information while there. And we will be visiting my sister and her family too. Just over three weeks this trip will be.

Next year, her and I are going to Ireland. Even more so a bucket list wish. She is a pretty excited gal.

Dad is still doing ok. Though it seems age is catching up to him. More and more, there are times when he find himself flummoxed with tasks. On Father’s Day we played a new card game, a variation of whist (like we often play), and he was getting frustrated trying to understand the new game play. He simply just couldn’t understand it, and he knew that. It’s worse when he can see his decline. And at other times, he is right there. I get that this is normal. Still, commonplace doesn’t make it less sad.

Anyhow, life is pretty awesome around here. I’m currently focusing on more outdoor tasks/projects while the summer weather is upon us. Grass mowing is still fun! Back when I was a boy, I always wanted to ride those lawnmowers you’d see displayed in the store. I wanted a big yard. One where I’d need to use such a mower. Haha, apparently be careful what you wish for.

Have a great day!

D