It takes a lot of time and patience to work towards reconciliation once again. I think that this part of the journey is the most difficult because we want them to "hurry up and get it together". It doesn't happen that way. He still has a lot of "stuff" to process. Give him plenty of space and time.

One thing to remember, he will be still testing you to see how you react to him and his behavior. Continue as you have been, i.e., as a friend. No pressure and there is a good possibility that he may keep some of the personality quirks that he had during the crisis. This particular stage could take up to 12/18 months for him to finally settle down in his new skin.

I created a thread many years ago when someone else was going through this stage. It is called TMAK - Explanation of Reconnection. Here is the link. It will help you better understand where he is at the moment.

TMAK - Explanation of Reconnection

Dig deeper for patience and just breathe! Treat him as a friend, listen to what he has to say, but do not point fingers if he slips back two steps. Above all else, whatever changes you have made, they must stay in place for this is a new relationship now.