Originally Posted by Stella20
Divorce is less than 2 months out now, June 6th, talked to my L last week. Instead of life insurance on H he is going to try to keep my name on his retirement accounts as the benefactor as H is living a very unhealth rockstar life right now.(So if he dies before the alimony is up that would be the back up)...Spending money like its going out of style Also L is going to push for Alimony until I am 65, due to my bad back and health issues caused from what H has/ is putting me through. But says he will not accept anything less than half the marriage And also his social securty.. I will not pay taxes on Alimony, confirmed that with the lawyer, H will have to cough up 50% of his gross,base and bonus check, but still pay taxes on all of it. He is not going to have much left to live on if my L can pull this off.
It sounds like you have a smart lawyer who has your best interests in heart.

A side story. My ex brother-in-law had an "emotional affair" and was proceeding with the divorce very full of himself and cocky. He had a sudden change of heart though when he found out what the financial hit would be and they reconciled. At the time I thought of this as an indicator that even if someone had an affair that reconciliation was possible. I remember talking to him and his wife after though. She was constantly on edge and acting as "marriage police" watching his social media and every activity and he was acting like that kid in school detention who is just waiting for the bell to ring. Sad - so glad that my story never went that way.

He had no regrets about the affair, only regrets that he got caught and that he had to take a financial hit.

So - don't be too shocked if either this niceness or the anger ramps up as this comes to a legal conclusion. Nor if he flips between charm and rage in a moment.

You're doing great ((Stella))