Hi Mach,

You’ve heard from a couple of people who’ve chosen to cut ties with their previous life partners. I’ll speak for the other side. My XW of 11yrs and I are friends. Some advantages of this: 1) I had my kids for 5hrs on Halloween so they could attend my party despite being her day, 2) She’ll have my D for 2hrs today despite it being my day to tutor her in math, 3) Fpr big celebrations like graduations we make a single plan together and there’s little awkwardness.

This besides the key point you made that you’ve known each other for 31yrs. You have kids together. That’s not an easy relationship to replace.

Originally Posted by LH
So Mach then what you are doing now is manipulation. I will be your friend as long as you don't have a BF.
I agree with LH that if you’ll stop being friends when she finds a BF, then this doesn’t sound like a healthy friendship. Now, it’s okay to have BOUNDARIES on a relationship! My ex and I talk about life but we do not talk about dating, BFs/GFs, or our sex lives. If you’d be okay with friendship as long as BFs are not a topic, you still may be able to have a healthy friendship with her.