Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
G
G
That is a substantial amount. Is that within the realm of what your dad could loan you?

3 kids
BD 12/15/13 (IDKIILY. )
Rope dropped Cirque du Soleil style
D final 9-9-14
"Some people are born on 3rd base and go through life thinking they hit a triple." Barry Switzer
L
LoisB Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Yep, but whether he will is another story.

I don't know. My brain is fried right now. I need to stop and recharge before I go any further. I've found a place to live. Victory!! I'm going to get quiet with this other stuff. I'm not sure what the right path is...I know the financial burden has caused me to flip out some on the newspaper and I don't like that I'm giving them this impression...

When you don't know know what to do next...get quiet. No sudden moves.

I'm moving in freaking two weeks.

"You know, it's times like these when I realize what a superhero I am." Tony Stark/Iron Man

“Focus on what you can do, then do it with all your heart.” Lois Wilson
K
kml Offline
K
Yes, and that's about what a divorce costs.

L
LoisB Offline OP
OP Offline
L
The atty just surprised me. In our last conversation, I got the impression he was ok with me paying this over time...I didn't anticipate $3800 within two weeks. But, I will regroup. And, I was clear with him that I didn't feel angry or anything. I realize he gave me a break. What I'm angry about is the sorta surprise. I've met with him three times in the past month...IDK. I'm stressed.

And, I don't think I have been resentful or angry in any recent posts about my parents. In fact, I think I've caused myself some extra worry because I have wanted to avoid asking for more help. I really have wanted to figure this one out alone...but, dammit...not sure that will happen.

"You know, it's times like these when I realize what a superhero I am." Tony Stark/Iron Man

L
L
Thats about par for lawyers to drop payment bombs. If you met with him three times over the last month that alone is probably $900.00. Then each email is at least $30.00 to review. Phone calls are dependent on how long you talk. they will charge you for every part of an hour they spend on you. So, you need to learn fast how to minimize contact and to drill it into the Lawyers head you don't have any money and need to keep costs to a minimum.

Twisting on Life's Rope
Me53
W53
M20
D21 D19 D16
BD 2-2013
D final 1-2015
L
LoisB Offline OP
OP Offline
L
What if I took out an unsecured loan? With my credit, I'd get a lousy interest...but I could...IDK.

job Offline
Heather,
I agree w/the posters. Your employer is just that...your employer. The way that they are handling the relocation costs are pretty standard. They needs receipts for all relocation costs upon your arrival to your new position and only then will they reimburse you what they agreed upon.

As for your lawyer, I'm really surprised that you haven't been receiving monthly bills from him. When I was going through my separation/divorce, I dropped quite a bit of money, not only on draft separation papers that were never filed as well as him representing me throughout the ordeal. It was $100 per hour and each and every time a letter was drafted or a phone call, it was another chunk of change.

Stick w/your current lawyer and ask your parents for help w/the finances. If it will make them feel better, draft up a repayment plan that specifically states how much you'll pay each month and whether it's the first or last of the month. You might even want to consider a small about interest to factored in. Then have both parties sign it.

Sit quietly, the answers will reveal themselves when you least expect them to.
The past is gone, the present is a gift and you need to focus on today, allow the future to reveal itself when it is ready.
L
LoisB Offline OP
OP Offline
L
What's a fair interest rate?

K
kml Offline
K
Quote:
So, I would need to borrow between 10,000 and 12,500 from someone.

Not sure how you arrived at this figure. I'm estimating:
$4k for lawyer
$500 for utility deposits (wild-a$$ guess here)
$2000 for a down payment on a $10k reliable used car (plus cosigner if needed) (maybe less if you trade in your used car, but since it's not worth much, might want to keep that for daughter)(be sure to get a car with EXCELLENT gas mileage, like a Honda Civic, with your long commute)
Extra $1000 for incidentals or extra lawyer fees
I'm assuming your relocation money will cover first month's rent and moving van rental

That gives me $7500. Now, if you think you can borrow $10k, it may be better to pad that a bit so long as you keep the extra in an emergency savings account. That will give you some cushion so you don't have to call your parents up AGAIN in 3 mos.

You'll have to be super mega frugal once you get there. Powwow with the girls about ways for all of you to save money/ bring in extra money. But you can do this. An extra $500/mo from tutoring, writing, dog walking, babysitting would pay your car payment and an initial loan repayment to your folks.

As for a fair interest rate - no risk CD would bring in 1-2%. High risk stock fund 7%. You're in the middle risk category, so maybe 4-5%? But if you could get them to take 3%, all the better. Ask them for 3 mos before you start payments, low payment the first year (like maybe $100/mo) and increased payments after that.

L
LoisB Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I asked for the money. Spelled out the terms.

I hate this so much.

I guess I'm reaping what I've sown.

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard