Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
B
B
Lois,

I dont know for sure if you have any equity in your house. However, instead of walking away, if you decide you cant keep the house, you may want to try a "deed in lieu of foreclosure". I work in the finance industry and it could save you and the mortgage company lots of time and money. Basically, you just sign the deed over to the bank and they agree to take it and sell the house. It is a way to skip over the foreclosure mess.

M42 W40
T17
M15
S13 S11
BD 7-14
A discovered 7-14
WAW moved out 10-3-14
D final 2-23-15
L
LoisB Offline OP
OP Offline
L
There's little to no equity in the place.

Thanks Mighty, I appreciate the information. How is NY law on child visitation/child support enforcement? I've learned through Wishing how tough Wisconsin is...

I'm leaning towards filing for temp. child support (I was told by my atty that I can't file for temp alimony unless I file for divorce)...then, I can expect $400 per month, I can move, hand this back over to Smokey if he chooses to file...ask around for a good atty in NY. I will have plenty of resources in terms of finding a good attorney...get d12 into counseling, yadda, yadda...

I know I'm going to get screwed financially, but, at this point, maybe it's worth the piece of mind in being further away and able to start fresh.

I'm angry with my attorney though. I didn't expect this today. I feel it was a bit unfair. He knows our situation and that I'm starting a new job. I get the impression he just wants rid of this one.

"You know, it's times like these when I realize what a superhero I am." Tony Stark/Iron Man

“Focus on what you can do, then do it with all your heart.” Lois Wilson
L
LoisB Offline OP
OP Offline
L
...mainly because of Smokey's slow attorney. He sees the writing on the wall and sees this move will only be the beginning in a complicated, lengthy divorce.

"You know, it's times like these when I realize what a superhero I am." Tony Stark/Iron Man

K
kml Offline
K
1) Stick with your attorney, you've already paid him part of the fee. File for divorce and for temporary support. Look into turning the house back over to the lender, unless Smokey wants it.

2) Your attorney has to eat too. It's not his job to accommodate your financial problems. Nor is it your employer's. In fact, the more you go to your employer with your financial problems, the more they're going to worry you will be a financially unstable flake. You have to stop interacting with this people like they're your parents.

3) You're going to need to borrow money from your parents for the divorce and the move. Make a budget of everything you'll need (deposits for utilities, cosigner for a newer used car that you can commute in safely, rental security deposits etc, lawyer fees) as well as a plan for how you will pay it back (X$$ per month for X months). The more you look like you have your act together and are thinking in concrete financial terms, the more likely they will be willing to help you. If they forgive the debt, great, but I would plan on paying it back. You are an adult after all, and despite their better financial positions, they don't OWE you anything. So get rid of your resentment over what they have that you don't, put on your big girl panties and make a plan.

G
G
^^^^^^^

Ellie is spot on. Heather, please remember that your employer is that-your employer. Life happens and most get that. However, you are starting a new gig and want to give a positive impression in every sense of the word. Don't make yourself seem *difficult* from the get go. Your atty? They are providing a service and expect payment. I know you are struggling financially, however that is the reality.

3 kids
BD 12/15/13 (IDKIILY. )
Rope dropped Cirque du Soleil style
D final 9-9-14
"Some people are born on 3rd base and go through life thinking they hit a triple." Barry Switzer
L
LoisB Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Quote:
1) Stick with your attorney, you've already paid him part of the fee. File for divorce and for temporary support. Look into turning the house back over to the lender, unless Smokey wants it.

He wants $3850 on top of what I've already paid.

G
G
If you file in NY, you will be starting from scratch and racking up new fees. Also, if I remember correctly, (and I could definitely be wrong ), you have to be a resident for a year(maybe?) before filing in NY. Maybe it's 2 years. Anyway, you would only be prolonging this and making it more expensive. Just my 2 cents.

Also, is this an uncontested divorce? What is the hold up ?

Last edited by Georgiabelle; 09/17/14 07:35 PM.

3 kids
BD 12/15/13 (IDKIILY. )
Rope dropped Cirque du Soleil style
D final 9-9-14
"Some people are born on 3rd base and go through life thinking they hit a triple." Barry Switzer
L
LoisB Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Ok,

Hear what guys are saying. I hope I haven't screwed up my first impression already. I've tried to do anything to avoid asking for more money from my dad.

L
LoisB Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Quote:
Also, is this an uncontested divorce? What is the hold up?

Smokey has been the hold up. He has had the dissolution proposal since the beginning of May/end of April.

L
LoisB Offline OP
OP Offline
L
So, I would need to borrow between 10,000 and 12,500 from someone.

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard