Print Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
L
LoisB Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Quote:
Goals:

1. Put God's Will First. Trust God. Focus on each day as it comes and Take Joy! from each day.
2. Take care of my health (mental and physical).
3. Give my kids the things and time they deserve.
4. Face Each Day's Tasks HONESTLY and Pro-actively. Keep up my ToDo list of things to tackle today and in the near future.
5. Enjoy the contentment with my life that comes from working on the first four goals: travel, fun, friends, family...TAKE JOY!

Specific Sub-Goals:
Have a reliable car I'm proud to drive by Christmas of 2014.
Earn at least $60,000 per year by December, 2015...or sooner.

Old Thread: http://www.divorcebusting.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2483869&page=1

"You know, it's times like these when I realize what a superhero I am." Tony Stark/Iron Man

“Focus on what you can do, then do it with all your heart.” Lois Wilson
L
LoisB Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Hi Guys!

Ok, I want to thank EVERYONE from the bottom of my heart for all your help with this housing issue.

Job, you are such a good, kind friend. :-)

So, here's the update (I think I'm getting a How to Be A NEW YAWKER 101):

I called around to several properties and spoke to some nice people. They gave me the 411 on why rents are so high and how this works in Watertown...it was cool, because I could see how my instincts were guiding me in the right direction.

1. There's not enough housing to supply Ft. Drum. They have soldiers/families on waiting lists and in hotels. Hence, the high rents and quick security deposits.

2. Many, many foreclosures in the area and this means, if something is cheap...don't trust it. Homes that are about to go into foreclosure are being rented out by owners and, then, the homes go into foreclosure and tenants have to leave. Be CAREFUL.

(I had this sixth sense that I should be working with an apartment complex or or higher rent managed by a reputable rental management company and I was headed in the right direction.)

So, here's what's happened in the past 8 hours. After calling, looking at millions more properties...I kept going back to this apartment complex in Sackets Harbor. It's an old military barracks that's been turned into apartments. I have had a really hard time with the management, however...each time I've called, I've had to deal with this stupid woman at the front desk. I've sent countless emails and called countless times and they have rarely returned my calls.

Anyway, I learned yesterday that an apartment was open...but, it was in a building that doesn't allow bigger dogs like labs. Our dog is a therapy dog...no question...but we don't have the paperwork. I told the management company that we had a therapy dog and they still said "No." So, this nice couple who is living in the said apartment started talking to me...turns out the woman has a Master's in Counseling and knows Autism and she was furious that they wouldn't consider a therapy dog.

Then, I found out that the building next to them has a tenant with a Golden Retriever. I was pi$$3ed.

I called the office back. The dimwitted gatekeeper still wouldn't let me through to the powers that BE. So, I said I would call back every 15 minutes until I talked to someone OTHER than the Dimbulb.

I received a call back within my 15 minute span. The head honcho. I vented...I told him I was venting and I was angry at how I've been treated. I also told him that I was willing to pursue arguing the No Therapy Dog rule...And, I am. I really should get the certification anyway. She goes places with us that most dogs don't because of D12. She IS a necessity in our life.

He began to talk down to me like I was a child. I held my own. Validated his frustration and told him...I'm a reporter/editor. I do my research and if they want to make this an issue...have at it.

He said his wife would call me within the hour with a number of options. Turns out that two of the units I was originally interested in...well they ARE available! And, they allow dogs, have 2000 square feet and the rent is $1100. Heat is higher than the newer ones (averages $350)...but they are older buildings with the charm we like and a great view of Lake Ontario. I like these better.

She said she wouldn't allow me to sign a lease site unseen because there's lots of steps. They've turned these old officer quarters into townhouses and the kitchen is on the first floor with a 14 x 14 room downstairs that we could use as a living room or dining room. Then, there's three bedrooms upstairs with another living area 12 by 16. There's this huge open area in front where people jog and walk and there's lots of easily accessible space for the dog and D12 to walk.

She said she would hold the unit until I could come back up to see it on Monday. I plan on having my security deposit ready to go.

Now, I need tips on saving heating costs. I remember, years ago when we lived in an old apartment in an old house in Akron, we used a ceramic heater...Very economical and worked really well.

I think I'm back to excited. :-) $1100 is so much better than $1500.

"You know, it's times like these when I realize what a superhero I am." Tony Stark/Iron Man

L
LoisB Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Also, I plan on emailing and calling daily to insure the unit isn't rented out.

L
LoisB Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I just sent the property manager a nice "Thank You" for responding to me so promptly AND for holding the unit for us until I can get to NY. I will send him a text daily. :-) I also sent a link to the ADA's Service Dog information as an FYI :-)

He seems like a real dicck, but "Hey!" I have plenty of experience dealing with those!!! ;-)

L
LoisB Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I will have my $1,100 in hand when I go. Money Order.

T
T
that is so awesome, good for you on the excellent communication skills!! How exciting for you!!

Me - 42
exH - 56
Married 10.5 years
Together 17
bomb dropped 1/6/14
signed papers 2/4/14
H moved out 2/22/14
D final 4/4/14
Dropped the rope 5/17/14
2 cats, 2 dogs
job Offline
You and the girls will need to layer your clothing and be sure all of the windows are sealed tightly. You will be have to careful with heaters, etc., as you or the girls may forget that they are on and then have issues.

Sit quietly, the answers will reveal themselves when you least expect them to.
The past is gone, the present is a gift and you need to focus on today, allow the future to reveal itself when it is ready.
L
L
$350.00 per month averaged over the year or is that average during the heating season? $350.00 per month during the heating season for 2000SF sounds about where most people would be. So it does not too bad. I would suggest getting temporary window sealing kits from a hardware / home depot / lowes type place. They consist of a double sided tape and shrink fit clear plastic sheet. You put the tape around the edge of the window on the molding, lay the plastic sheet and press onto the tape,and then use a hair dryer to shrink it tite giving you a wind tite see through window seal that you can easily remove in the spring when you want to open the windows.

Twisting on Life's Rope
Me53
W53
M20
D21 D19 D16
BD 2-2013
D final 1-2015
L
LoisB Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Yep, that's the average for the heating season. There's a fireplace but, we're not allowed to use it. I've used those those kits before. I think I have a leftover one from this winter!!

And, yes, Job, the girls and I will have to layer our clothing AND be careful with any heaters. I'm going to do some research on the ceramic heaters.

TL, Thanks for the Atta Boy! I'm not making any friends, but, hopefully, we can get this place without too much more trouble. Yay!!!

L
LoisB Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Pelonis Heaters! That's what we had. Economical and safe. I will look them up.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard