Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 55 of 60 1 2 53 54 55 56 57 59 60
V
OP Offline
V
(((((kat)))))(((((Dagny)))))

Yes, he was a good man. He had a way of seeing things, and then getting the right people together to make them happen.

And Dagny, you are making me blush!

D
D
Blushing is good. I bet Greek lady will like it.

Dagny

Me 48, H49, M24, S14, S11
DB #1 4/2002-8/2003
Bomb #2 August 2010 & he moved out
Living with OW
V
OP Offline
V
(((((Dagny)))))
Even though I have only met her once, I have a good feeling about the Greek lady. We shall see, eventually!

I slept a bit better last night, which was nice. I think I could go to work today, but I am not going to. I think I am at that place where I could push it, and end up worse. When I try to really breathe, actually, even just a good solid, not deep breath, I can tell my lungs are not right. So I will wait.

Here's another item about my uncle. To me, he was just "Uncle Mick", but he was also one of the grandfathers of the BCS, love it or hate it! http://www.nola.com/sugarbowl/index.ssf/2010/09/mickey_holmes_put_the_sugar_bo.html

S
S
Your uncle has quite a legacy.

I would like to see somthing like an 8 team playoff replace the current BCS bowls of Rose, Sugar, Fiesta, and Orange. Just the fact that they have a special rule for Notre Dame makes me hurl.

I got my fingers crossed on the Greek lady for you!

I had a first meetup this morning at 7:30 with a nice lady (county risk management director). She and I had all the "ways you match" align on match.com which is a good start. I have another first meetup tomorrow for lunch with another lady (veterinarian/owner). There is a third lady (hardware engineer) that I have not asked yet if she wants to meet.

V
OP Offline
V
Hey Kerry. I think eventually there will be some kind of playoff. But it's going to be hard to get everyone on line for that. If he hadn't gotten sick, my uncle would have been in the middle of it, I think. He did have a way of bringing people together. The ND rule is a bit creepy, but they haven't been good enough to bring it into play lately!

Thanks for the crosses fingers. We seem to have a lot in common on the one hand, and yet we are not at all alike. Actually, it seems like a good kind of combination to me.

Good luck in your sampling of the buffet! All three of those sound like interesting possibilities.

M
M
Hey, could one of you explain that ND rule? I'm confused a little by it.

T19 M15 S19 XH47 M43
bomb12/4/07
PA5/07
S12/26/07
D final 11/17/08
Back together with no defined R 05/2010
confused....to say the least!!!

S
S
Selection of teams for the BCS bowls...

A set of rules is used to determine which teams compete in the BCS bowl games.

Certain teams are given automatic berths depending on their BCS ranking and conference, as follows:

- The top two teams are given automatic berths in the BCS National Championship Game.

- The champion of a BCS conference (ACC, Big 12, Big East, Big Ten, Pac-10, and SEC) is guaranteed an automatic BCS bowl bid.

- Independent Notre Dame receives an automatic berth if it finishes in the top eight.

- The highest-ranked champion of a non-BCS conference will receive an automatic berth if:

It is ranked in the top 12, or
Ranked in the top 16 and higher than at least one BC conference champion.

- No more than one such team from Conference USA, the Mid-American Conference, the Mountain West Conference, the Sun Belt Conference, and the Western Athletic Conference shall earn an automatic berth in any year. However, a second team from one of these conferences may qualify as a BCS at-large.

- No more than two teams from any one conference may receive berths in BCS games unless two non-champions from a BCS conference finish as the top two teams in the final BCS standings, in which case they will meet in the National Title Game while their conference champion will play in their conference's BCS bowl game.

- The third-ranked team will receive an automatic berth if it has not already received one, if it is a member of a BCS conference, and provided that its conference has not already earned two automatic berths, if there is room.

- If the third-ranked team did not require a berth using the previous provision, then the fourth-ranked team will receive an automatic berth if it has not already received one, if it is a member of a BCS conference, and provided that its conference has not already earned two automatic berths, if there is room.

V
OP Offline
V
Notre Dame gets into a BCS game if it ends ranked in the top 8 and has at least 9 wins in the season.

S
S
I just saw an article on ESPN about your uncles passing.

I bet he had the pleasure to meet various times with the late great Paul "Bear" Bryant and other coaching greats of the 1960s-70's.

M
M
Gotcha! Thanks! I didn't understand how ND fell into all of that. Why is it that they are the only independent? There must be other schools out there that aren't technically part of a conference. Just none with quite as storied a history as ND?

T19 M15 S19 XH47 M43
bomb12/4/07
PA5/07
S12/26/07
D final 11/17/08
Back together with no defined R 05/2010
confused....to say the least!!!

Page 55 of 60 1 2 53 54 55 56 57 59 60

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard