Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 16 of 39 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 38 39
R
R
Kerry,

For the record, I'm counting every game the Huskies cover the spread as a win for that rebuilding program! Go Dawgs!

On a side note, the Ducks looked horrible last night. Wake up call or in for a rough transition year? Not sure. As for the possibility of a National Championship, don't give up yet. Phil Knight has really boosted up the athletics there, so that is always a huge incentive for athletes to head up to U of O.

Ok, concerning "forcing" a child into activities, I am 100% against it. Like others have stated, if the love isn't in the activity, they will come to resent having to do the activity. I see high school parents who push their kids to be athletes and the kids not only don't work hard and add to your program, but they end up being cancers b/c they just don't want to be there.

I'd love for my own D6 to want to play sports, but I'm waiting for her to tell me that she's interested. My X and I battle on this as my X thinks that she's still too young to start sports and other activities, but we've both stayed away from pushing her into anything.

Now, she's telling me she wants me to teach her how to play basketball and wants to play volleyball, soccer, and baseball. So, I'll look to sign her up for those activities - especially if she's able to do it w/her friends.

My only rule is if my D6 says she wants to participate in a sport or activity, I won't let her quit until the season or session is finished. At that point, if she never wants to do it again, that is fine w/me. However, I won't let her think she can simply walk away from something when the going gets tough.

This is yet another area my X and I disagree on as my X believes she should be able to quit sometimes if she isn't happy. Not a shock as my X demonstrated this belief w/our M.

RTL

M:38; D: 6
Divorce Final: 10/6/08

S
smith18 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Kat, I am similar in not pushing my son to practice his piano or ukulele when he is at my house. I only make the suggestion. I have no say with my daughter in regards to violin practice as the violin stays over at X's and the XW supervises (like a dictator) when D7 practices. The violin lessons utilize the Suzuki method which seems pretty good, but with some criticism of producing robotic students.

My son seems to really like experimenting with music and I think he could develop some composition skills.

We are so fortunate to have an awesome and experienced piano instructor along with the grade school music teacher who gives S8 ukulele lessons on the side.

Rob - that is the positive mental attitude to have about the Huskies! Hopefully the coach does not tell them to just try and beat the spread in the locker room. In a few years, maybe Joe Montana's son can turn things around.

As for the Duck tailback who sucker punched the Boise State player after the game was over - if I was the coach of the Ducks, I would immediately say that this guy will never wear a Duck uniform again.

B
B
Kerry

We just had this same debate over my son and karate lessons. They are 3 times a week, all year round. No breaks like typical sports seasons have. I was torn b/c he joined "black belt club", making the commitment to become a black belt.

However, it became a job to make him practice on the days he did not have structured practice. I got so tired of battling with him. On one hand I wanted him to commit to it. On the other, he was showing no desire.

We compromised. He is taking a break from karate. The belt testing sessions are 8 weeks long. He is staying out for 2 sessions and will go back then. Of course we have yet to experience what happens when it is time to start up again...

I guess my thought was, why not let her take a break from the violin. With some time away from it she may decide she wants to do it again.

I took dance lessons (tap/jazz/ballet) from age 4 until graduating high school. In that 13 year span, I stopped 3 times, twice for a year and once for 2 years. I just got burnt out. But after a break I always went back to it. You just don't want them to wind up hating something they used to love.

Me-35

Together: 18 yrs
M-12.5 yrs
S-8
D-4
D'd: Feb. 2010

The LORD your God is with you,
he is mighty to save. --Zeph. 3:17
L
L

Wow this is what I don't look forward to is the dating and break up stuff, seems so hard when we are already struggling, although I am only 1 month into my situation so I may feel different later, I do hope that I find love one day with someone who doesn't want to give up in the middle of it.

I hope your talk and break up with your lady went well and that you can some day come to a place where you are free to give your heart. I do admire that you know your boundaries and stand up for what you want. Kudos to you.

Originally Posted By: KerryK
Yes, her parents live in a different time period. When I went to her church - her mother would not come near me because we had not been formally introduced.

The brother from California is in his 30's and is still in search of a virgin to marry. Good luck with that.

ME 45
Husband 47
Married 29 yrs
D 28
D 23
S 26
IDLYA -MLC- 7-25-09
Wants Divorce 8-18-09
Moved to another state W/OW
S
smith18 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hi Livingalone -

The kids and I were in your town just yesterday visting with my mom right across from the Portland airport.

The break up talk went ok, however, she was pretty upset about not getting to go on vacation. I have not heard from her since a phone call I made when in Hawaii to her.

It is very early in your situation. So many of the affairs do fail or the wayward spouse finds they are not what they expected. There is a good chance that given a long enough time away from each other that your H may come to some awakening that what you and he had in the marriage is worth preserving.

I know the emotional pain you are experiencing now seems so unbearable. With time and keeping yourself busy and happy, it will pass. I know that is like telling a person who is sea sick that it is all in their head, as there is no easy way to move forward for you right now.

S
smith18 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Kind of strange, but there was no call from XW on the kids first day of school.

I am trying a new thing this year by getting the kids lunches made in the evening after the kids go to bed so as to lessen the rush in the morning. Plus, I can set the alarm clock to go off a little later for more beauty sleep.

The new lady and I continue to talk each day on the phone. We bumped into each other at Costco on Sunday and she met my kids who were shy and well behaved. I hope to get out for a longer time with her this next Sunday. I am thinking of taking her on a hike in the mountains with some huckleberry picking.

M
M
Sounds like lots of fun! Enjoy. smile

T19 M15 S19 XH47 M43
bomb12/4/07
PA5/07
S12/26/07
D final 11/17/08
Back together with no defined R 05/2010
confused....to say the least!!!

S
smith18 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
New lady and I had a very good time yesterday on a hike and picking huckleberries. There sure were a lot of varieties of mushrooms growing this time of year. We stopped and had a nice dinner on the way home - peppered salted squid - yum!

J
J
Hey Kerry!

Lots of varieties of "mushrooms" growing? Were we supposed to read something into that?

S
smith18 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
No hidden "in and out" message John. I was simply amazed at how many different types we saw and some of them were very large and beautiful. I also have no experience on how to identify which ones are edible (except for the ones my shipmates and and I used to pick while in the US Coast Guard that put a big smile on your face).

Page 16 of 39 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 38 39

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard