Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11
J
JeffSTL Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Quote:
Puppy: Well, this is ONE "somebody here" that doesn't agree with this -- at all. There is no compassion here. Would it kill you to say a simple "thank you" to her? That's just a common courtesy, that we extend to each other as fellow human beings, much less to the mother of your children.. But to not say simple "thank-you"s or "goodbye"s or whatever, or to hug a fellow human being who is hurting . . . can you not separate the sin from the sinner?
Puppy, I think I'm the biggest hardhead on this site, I don't want to be her friend, I don't want to be her confidant, she has OM to complain to, she has OM shoulder to cry on. I don't like to see anyone cry but I don't think it's appropriate for me to have any contact with her physically or emotionally

How can you separate the sin from the sinner if the sinner keeps sinning, where do you draw the line.

If you think I should show her some compassion, I can still save the day I need to call her to confirm something for tomorrow, I could ask how she is doing and say I'm sorry that she is having such a hard time - it just doesn't feel right, I'm not her friend

M45
W41
M10.75 years
D9, D6, D6, S5
OM confirmed 12/07 merry christmas to me
WAM (Walk Away Mom) 05/31/08
W files for D 07/18/08
Amount of time WAM spent with kids so far this month = 0.58333 days

P
P
Jeff,

The Bible says we are to forgive "seven times seventy" times -- effectively, "infinity" times.

That being said, forgiveness is an intensely personal thing, and between you, your God and your own conscience. I wasn't even telling you to FORGIVE; I was trying to encourage you to just show some basic COMPASSION and COMMON COURTESY.

You have every right to not want to. But you can be "right" and still have it eat at your insides.

Is this what you want to teach your kids?

Puppy

J
JeffSTL Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Puppy, I know the passage well Matthew 18: 21-22
Then Peter came to him and asked, "Lord, how often should I forgive someone who sins against me? Seven times?" "No, not seven times," Jesus replied, "but seventy times seven"

I called W several minutes ago, told her I was calling to find out how she was doing, she said she was better, that she has so much to keep track of, work her dad, the kids and with everything going on someone last night made her feel bad (hurt her feelings), they said something to her that upset her and since then she has been a mess.

I said ok, I was just checking in on you to see how you were and I'll see you tomorrow morning (she has to take the kids for the day because I have to work at the concession stand at parish soccer fields) She thanked me again for checking in on her and we said goodbye.

I have a problem with forgiveness, I stated it may times before (when will I forgive W = never) I called because I need to be the bigger person, and I'm not so cold I do care that she feels bad. I just don't know how to act around W so I pull back

You kick a dog so many times the dog learns to avoid you

M45
W41
M10.75 years
D9, D6, D6, S5
W files for D 07/18/08

K
K
Maybe you should think of her as an assistant of sorts. She comes and takes the kids to school and just talks to you because she doesn't know what else to do. You could always tell her that when she tells you about all the going ons in her life it bothers you and would like for her to keep it to just essential info.

But let's also think of her as the assistant that just started crying, perhaps you would hand her a tissue and say I am sorry you are upset today. Maybe even rub her shoulder, if you don't want to attach tooo much. Think of her as someone you know and that you have to "work" with because circumstances call for it, but you don't need to be overly friendly with.

Just a thought.

kat

Me-53(and learning!)
S24, S21, D18, D17
Just keep swimming, Just keep swimming. Dory
P
P
That's a great way to put it, Kat.

Jeff, I'm glad you called her. Forgiveness isn't easy, but it IS a decision.

Puppy

K
K
Yeah, that's the confusing thing figuring out how to deal with a WAS and all that stuff. I like Kat's idea too!!! Have to remember that myself if H gets all teary someday (that's a joke) \:\) but I think that's perfect, an assistant you work with, it's a great way to visualize that! \:\) Karen

Me 53
D18, S24
J
JeffSTL Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thanks everyone for checking in on me

I just don't know how to act around W so I pull back

How does it work when your in love with the assistant and after work the assistant goes home to her boy friend. How does it work when the person you love is not capable of loving you back. I pull completely away from her because being with her hurts so much. I pull away from her becuase I'm afraid of getting to close to her and having my heart broken all over again. I don't want to be her friend, I don't want to have anything to do with her. I want to forget her and just move on with my life.

You kick a dog so many times the dog learns to avoid you.

John Mayer Dreaming With A Broken Heart lyrics

When you're dreaming with a broken heart
The waking up is the hardest part

You roll out of bed and down on your knees
And for a moment you can hardly breathe
Wondering was she really here
Is she standing in my room?

No, she's not
Cause she's gone, gone, gone, gone, gone.

The giving up is the hardest part

She takes you in with her crying eyes
Then all at once you have to say goodbye
Wondering could you stay my love
Will you wake up by my side?

No, she can't

M45
W41
M10.75 years
D9, D6, D6, S5
W files for D 07/18/08

K
K
[quote=JeffSTL]Thanks everyone for checking in on me

Quote:
How does it work when your in love with the assistant and after work the assistant goes home to her boy friend. How does it work when the person you love is not capable of loving you back. I pull completely away from her because being with her hurts so much. I pull away from her becuase I'm afraid of getting to close to her and having my heart broken all over again. I don't want to be her friend, I don't want to have anything to do with her. I want to forget her and just move on with my life.
I relate to all that too. I think you have to detach and move on in that kind of sitch. This past week I didn't email or phone H once and said just a few words to him last time I saw him. Probably a dozen or so. Friendly, but detached. Not quite the same as being a friend. I think you have to detach for you. You could try to work on being a little friendly, but I don't think you should try to be her friend. I think she really needs more like the help of a C in my opinion. Does she see one or would she be willing to? Or if she is seeing one maybe she needs to switch to someone else? Maybe that's what you could suggest something like that next time she is clearly in pain? ((((Jeff)))) Karen

Last edited by karen43; 10/18/08 04:28 PM.

Me 53
D18, S24
P
P
Originally Posted By: JeffSTL
Thanks everyone for checking in on me

You kick a dog so many times the dog learns to avoid you.

John Mayer Dreaming With A Broken Heart lyrics

The waking up is the hardest part

You roll out of bed and down on your knees
And for a moment you can hardly breathe
Wondering was she really here
Is she standing in my room?

No, she's not

The giving up is the hardest part

She takes you in with her crying eyes
Then all at once you have to say goodbye
Wondering could you stay my love
Will you wake up by my side?

No, she can't

M45
W41
M10.75 years
D9, D6, D6, S5
W files for D 07/18/08

Jeff, that's all very heartfelt, and I'm not disputing ANY of that obvious pain. You're overreacting to my point. All I suggested was for you to add some common "please" and "thank you" courtesies in your interactions with your wife, especially in front of your children. If you don't feel you can do the hug part, then don't do that, but saying "thank you" and "goodbye" and such shouldn't really be that difficult.

You've done -- and are doing -- MUCH harder things than those, and admirably so.

Puppy

Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11

Moderated by  Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard