Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1348558 02/05/08 11:15 PM
OP Offline
Hi all.

Today was a tough day at the office. Over the past couple of weeks, my company (a Fortune 500) has been downsizing. A new Board was elected in the fall and the old president resigned and a new man was brought in. Change was inevitable.

Last week about 500 positions were eliminated and today in my group 131 position were eliminated. (My office of 66 had 12 losses, 11 left today; one nut left Friday and could have been given a severance package)I am sure there were probably a few others here and there. The team I am on survived with only a switch in responsibility of one person. The rest of us can pick up that slack. But as of this morning driving in, no one knew who would be gone. But we knew some would be. In the long run, there will be more work, but it is also an exciting time in that we have plans moving forward.

The long and short of it that life happens and many things we do not control. I am glad to have the security of a job that I like. But I also was thinking if it is I who goes, I might have a chance at a better opportunity elsewhere. My boss has been a real PIA and I was leaning that way. Of course once she found out where things stood, she began to lighten up.

Also, there was a part of me that remember the last downsizing I went through in 2001 (while still in a state of uneasiness over the marriage which broke up 15 months earlier). The economy was horrendous. I didn't have a full-time job for 2 1/2 years. But during that 2 1/2 years, I actually found a temp job that I enjoyed. That temp job turned into this full-time position I have now. It didn't just happen. My temp assignment was up and I found yet another temp job which wasn't bad actually because I like my boss while hating the content. But I was able to work 50-60 hours a week and pay off some bills. Lo and behold a couple months later I was called in for an interview to become full-time at my current job. And thankfully, even with a career change at the ripe old age of 48, I am still here.

So here you all are. You are in a place you never expected. Life didn't turn up the right cards. But you persevere. You find a helping hand along the way. You keep moving forward staying open to what life may offer. Because 4 1/2 years ago, I had no idea that this particular job existed. The recruiter who found the temp spot for me was one I had contacted monthly for almost 2 years. And he called up one day and said "I got something for you and it is different, but take a look." And this is one of the reasons that I can say that from the depth of my despair, the fact that I kept moving forward (as I always tell you and yes, I am telling you) has led me to a place in life where I have never been happier.

You can be happier too, no matter what has happened to you in the past. I am living proof. And all I am is a person just like all of you.

IMP

Imp, I'm happy for you that you 'survived'....your last paragraph was very positive. I'm sure many of us can use it. Thank you !

Love Cinders xxx

"In the depths of my winter, I realized there is within me an invincible summer" Albert Camus

http://miesblogspot.blogspot.com/
R
R
IMP,

I'm sorry it was a bad day.
I'm sorry so many others lost their jobs.

But what an awesome attitude!
You're a survivor.

HUGS,
RCR

OP Offline
Cinders,

If I didn't survive the day, I would have been just as positive. It is a feeling I want everyone to foment within themselves. Once you do that, the rest doesn't matter.

IMP

OP Offline
Thanks, RCR,

It was a tough day, but a good day. Believe me If I was let go, I would be sitting here right now sending resumes out. My attitude going in was that if I was let go, I would use it as an opportunity to find something better.

And yes, I do feel for those who were displaced...except for that one loud-mouth ...be nice, IMP!!!!

Imp,

Yes, I agree with you, but even though I feel positive inside, today is a bad day for me, sometimes we're allowed to feel a little down, it would have been perfectly fine for you to have such a day if you hadn't survived !

I do agree that thinking positively gives great life improvements for ourselves !

Love Cinders xxx

"In the depths of my winter, I realized there is within me an invincible summer" Albert Camus

http://miesblogspot.blogspot.com/
Congrats on surviving the downsizing! I have watched you survive for many many years now. I know, as you do, that you would have been fine no matter how the cards were dealt. That doesn't mean you didn't worry, of course. Now you can go into your trip in a couple weeks without this hanging over you. Cool!

Does this mean you don't have to endure seasonal's this year?

I think its time for a drink, don't you?

~ swl

Look not mournfully into the past. It comes not back again. Wisely improve the present. It is thine. Go forth to meet the shadowy future, without fear. {Henry Wadsworth Longfellow}
U
U
Hi IMP-
Glad you were able to dodge the bullet and thanks for sharing your story of finding the silver lining. Seems like many of us here need a little inspiration today. \:\)

<3
Upside

OP Offline
Cinders,

You said:
Quote:
sometimes we're allowed to feel a little down, it would have been perfectly fine for you to have such a day if you hadn't survived

Can I tell you something that I am proud of. About a month after the bomb, I got this temp job. Economy was booming and in an hour I had a spot. Now you can imagine where my emotions must have been. Well, after I was there for a month, my boss said to me, "where's that smile that you always carry with you." I said that I was a little down. Now if I can keep a smile on my face through all of that, I don't need to have a down day over a job.

If anything, when I found out I survived, there was a piece of me that was disappointed. I embrace new challenges these days.

IMP

J
J
Why wait for something better?

Why wait for an opportunity to present itself?

Poking a little fun at you Imp, but echoing your words, something we both agree on.

You control yourself.

If you were only going to send out those resumes if you got downsized...well you would be reacting to someone/something else.

Food for thought.

Experience is a brutal teacher, but you learn. My God, do you learn. - C.S. Lewis

Life is usually all about how you handle Plan B. - Jack3Beans

Listen without defending; Speak without offending - FaithinAK

TRUST THE PROCESS - Cadet

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard