Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 18 of 19 1 2 16 17 18 19
D
D
DIY, you may be right or wrong, but your logical basis is far from good.
Your post is 90% items that have nothing to do with the bible, 5%, "well, is your bible the 'right' bible", and 5% "church people are far out".

If you want to make a statement about "what the bible says", it is usual to actually quote From The Bible to do so.

I'm not weighing in on my opinion on who is more biblically correct or not. I'd just like to see biblical arguments to be based In The Bible, ya know?
There's far too much sloppy biblical "interpretation" in this day and age as it is. From what the review says, that "wild at heart" has plenty of it. But if you want to dispute that book as being "non-biblical", then you need to provided biblical basis FOR that.

My current status: june 2006. Wife ran out and filed D.
Finalized Jan 11, 2010, after 12.5 years M.
3 wonderful sons caught in the middle

O
O
I'd just like to see biblical arguments to be based In The Bible, ya know?
That is just it, for me based on the Bible to prove a point is like defining a word with a version of the word.

I really wasn't trying to prove a Biblical point based on the Bible. I was saying what I experienced.

From what the review says, that "wild at heart" has plenty of it.
Dom, from what I have heard others in church leadership positions say (some I agree with and some ideas I don't ) people take a sentence from here and there to build a picture of how God wants things to be.

I have heard people use lines from the Bible sort of like an "Erector Set" to build support for several ideas. I am not going to do that.

My personal, just a person POV is read the whole chapter, learn what the words meant when written and go from there.

I am not going to cut my hand off because I covet my neighbor’s car or house. I am not going to a lot of things "some people" build cases to support.

But if you want to dispute that book as being "non-biblical", then you need to provided biblical basis FOR that.
I am not that dedicated, educated or emotionally engaged to support or discredit "Wild at Heart."

Men saying Women are the devils target when it comes to sin? That sounds illogical.

Think back to basic biology. What determines gender? Anyone of us has about an equal chance of being a male or female at conception (general population situation).

To me the genders are different, operate a bit differently, but many of the basics are similar.

I don't buy into astrology, palm reading, phone psychics, and several other seeing/knowing belief systems. Intuition, yes.

Back when AIDS was new, I heard it was God's curse for men's depravity. Right, like only gay men are prone to the virus? Sorry, I didn't buy it then, but several ministers were proving it was Gods curse on man and they supported the idea by what I call "Erector Setting" using the Bible.

That is just my POV. I don't know much when compared to religious scholars.

I have heard so many things that are not true but were "Erector Setted" by linking Bible verses to support a POV, I hesitate to be that convinced what some people believe to be true.

Just my way I see and experience things Dom.

Lou

S
sandi2 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
hahahahaha........I don't think you even want to go there with me cemar.

It is not about what you feel should work in your M. It is about doing the work that gets the right results. Do what works!
D
D
Quote:
Quote:
But if you want to dispute that book as being "non-biblical", then you need to provided biblical basis FOR that.

I am not that dedicated, educated or emotionally engaged to support or discredit "Wild at Heart."

[...] saying Women are the devils target when it comes to sin? That sounds illogical.

DIY, you are being illogical. Or at least, extremely contextually disjoint ;\)

Saying "that sounds illogical", doesnt make sense contextually.
Since the context is "who does the devil tempt?" Unless you want to say, "that sounds illogical because it contradicts what the bible says in ..."

Otherwise, what you said is kind of like saying,

"Women are the devil's target? That sounds mathematically improbable."

What does mathematics have to do with the devil?! \:D

Similarly, what do all those things you have to say about "biology" have to do with the devil either???
It doesnt make sense to attempt to link the two.

Quote:

I have heard so many things that are not true but were "Erector Setted" by linking Bible verses to support a POV, I hesitate to be that convinced what some people believe to be true.

It seems like you are blurring the lines between "what the bible teaches", "what is 'provably true'", and "what things DIY finds socially/morally acceptible".

This is probably because you seem to basically be agnostic? no offense meant... just trying to straighten things out clearly.

It seems like you are trying to mix and compare secular "truth", with faith based issues.
But in a subject like "Does the devil..."? there is no secular "truth" to compare it to.

That is why I used phrases like "unbiblical", rather than "not true". Using phrases like "true/not true" often provokes people to start bringing in modern psychology arguments against things that the bible says. Which is really a waste of time.
If you truely believe in God, and the Bible, then you should do what the bible teaches, reguardless of what "modern science" thinks this decade about how people should act. After all, modern science keeps changing its views about just about everything. But the bible does not change. Therefore, you should have an interest if something is "biblically correct" or not, since it should alter your behaviour, if it is.

If, on the other hand, someone puts their "faith" more in the teaches of PC-ness and latest psychological guidelines, rather than what the bible says... then I dont see why they would bother commenting on whether or not something is biblically correct or not. It's a waste of their time.

I still am up in the air about whether or not I think that thing about the devil tempting women more than men is biblically correct or not. It would be an interesting thought if it were... of the top of my head, I can think of a few biblical passages that would actually support the statement \:D But given all the other mistreatment of biblical issues in that book, I'm guessing it is most likely not. That book seems to specialize in biblical half-truths.

O
O
DIY, you are being illogical. Or at least, extremely contextually disjoint
OK, fine with me.

If you truely believe in God, and the Bible, then you should do what the bible teaches, reguardless of what "modern science" thinks this decade about how people should act. After all, modern science keeps changing its views about just about everything.
Regardless? Sorry, but I don't. And yes science changes because the instruments and measuring devices improve, are more numerous, new clues are introduced. 100 years ago, who talked about plate tectonics?

Floods, volcanoes, meteor strikes, plant and animal changes, new species and extinctions in 6 days? Wow, what a week.

Oh, and there isn't a Santa Clause BTW. I never had the privelege of believing that story. Maybe my life consisted of what "is"....too much, to get into what might be.

Back to Sandi2’s situation. Real life pains, emotional distance between her and her H. I would rather stick to what is.

Lou

C
C
Dom R:

Man, people, lighten up. I don't mean to get into a huge discussion on relgion. I was only trying to make a point that the devil try to damage marriages, he looks for WEAKNESS and then attacks that. That can be either MEN or WOMEN. I just find that in marriage, the women is far more complex then the man, both physically and emotionally. So if the devil is working to screw up couples, would it not make sense to go after the more complex person, there are just more possibilities in there to screw things up.

C
C
Quote:
After all, modern science keeps changing its views about just about everything. But the bible does not change.

This statement is rife with misconceptions about science, science history, and biblical history. Would you like to debate this in a separate thread?

Chrome

"Recollect me darlin, raise me to your lips, two undernourished egos, four rotating hips"

Inertia Creeps by Massive Attack
S
sandi2 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Quote:
Back to Sandi2’s situation. Real life pains, emotional distance between her and her H. I would rather stick to what is.

Yeah guys.....let's do that. You know I love you both! But I feel that I need to separate the two of you here...lol.

I do believe in God and the Bible, and enjoy discussing it in most circumstances. I was "tempted" (no pun intened) to get into a discussion with Cemar....but I resisted....lol. After all, this is a board for marriage problems and helping each other find solutions and although I believe, for me at least, that involves my faith in God, we could be here forever and not change everyone's mind to agree. Since this is my thread and as a favor to me....please, let's change the subject.

It is not about what you feel should work in your M. It is about doing the work that gets the right results. Do what works!
D
D
[changes subject]
So..... have ya got to first base yet? ;\)

A
A
Quote:
Even in the bible, the devil tempted EVE, not Adam. He knows where he can get the most bang for his buck, and that is with the woman, as SHE is the caretaker of the relationship.

But isn't it funny how so many men are tempted away from their wives BY other women. So who should be taking care of that relationship at that time? I suppose you are one that thinks men cheat because the wife is somehow lacking. Give me a break.

Last edited by AmyC; 09/21/07 08:02 PM.
Page 18 of 19 1 2 16 17 18 19

Moderated by  Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard