Link to Part II.

Just got back from my time on the mainland. Had a FANTASTIC time. Got to Van and picked up my university bestie. We decided to go to Ikea since I had promised my sister I was going to go for her. TDH and I were going to go because it is close to his house but my friend said she had nothing to do and wouldn’t mind going so off we went. I texted TDH that he was “off the hook” for Ikea and while we were still in the parking lot, he texted to ask if we were still there and that he lived only three kilometres away. So I texted him, “Why? You want some company? Ok to meet my bestie?” I fully expected him to say no, but to my surprise got an “absolutely” back and he texted the address. Bestie, who is one of the most cynical people I know, was super happy cause she loves vetting potential guys for We had a couple things to do so an hour later, we got to his place and he invited us in. He was exactly as advertised, Very tall and exactly like his picture. He was super genuine and my bestie, who disliked my ex because she thought he was the opposite of that, grilled him in her usual fashion and after about an hour, offered to get an EVO home so I could avoid having to go over two bridges to get to my friend’s place and so TDH and I could spend a bit more time talking. She’s an awesome After she left, TDH and I spent some time hanging out in his backyard and his curious neighbour peeked over the fence so he introduced me to him and I could tell the neighbour really liked him. We talked a bit about the texting incident. First of all, he apologized profusely for the cancelled weekend and said it took him a long time to text me because he thought I was 100% right and he was really embarrassed and didn’t know what to say. We also talked about the middle of the night text when he “broke up” with me. I told him I didn’t think it was his buddies as if it was, they likely would have just tried to get him into trouble by texting me something inappropriate or trying to sext me or something. I told him the person who texted me was trying to get rid of me and I thought it was likely a woman. He looked a bit thoughtful and then he said that he had had a bunch of people over that night and that it could have possibly been Cheryl. I asked who this was and he said it was someone he had briefly dated but that he wasn’t feeling it so they had just become friends. He didn’t think that she had a thing for him but after I said that, he wasn’t sure anymore. Anyway, I told him it would be a good idea for him to get a password on his phone and left it at that.

After I left TDH’s, I went to my friend’s place and it is fantastic. Me, him and our other two teammates had a great dinner together and then played pool and watched parts of the hockey game. It was so d@mn good to see them. We shared some laughs and some memories and just enjoyed being together again. We’re planning on doing again next year but this time at my place Later on, after the two guys had left, me and my friend talked for an hour about his late wife and what a great person she was. She would be so proud of him. He’s working so hard to make their dreams come true. Their 19th anniversary is coming up soon so we talked about that and the grief process.

This morning, he bought me breakfast at a restaurant down the street and we had a great big hug goodbye before I went off to meet another guy friend (met through OLD but was only ever a friend) for coffee. Both of us had had coffee already so we ended up just going for a walk and chatting. Afterward, he headed off to his office and I drove out to TDH’s. Today was just a continuation on from yesterday. We hung out, talked more about our kids, childhoods, family, friends, etc... you name it, we talked about it. We played some cards. Took a few walks. I got to seem him interact with people and he was clearly a regular at the butcher shop. He was polite, friendly and genuine with everyone we encountered. Later on, his sister called him and I can only describe their conversation as enthusiastic, good natured and really positive. She put his cousin on the phone and they talked about when they could next get together and go fishing. TDH told him he loved him (TDH lost two other “brother-like” cousins about 25 years ago that he still misses immensely) and they hung up. Then about an hour before I had to leave to catch my ferry, who should show up but his mother. Yep...met the mom. She and I had a pleasant chat in the kitchen and when he walked me out to my car, he laughed and said he was probably going to get grilled when he got back inside. He then made me promise to text him when I got to the ferry terminal and him so he knew that I made it home safe. the end of the day, I am so glad I gave him the benefit of the doubt and went to see him. We hit it off and had a great time doing nothing all day (got my 10,000 steps though) and getting to know each other. I did not sense any hidden agendas or see anything in his house that would be cause for alarm. He is still definitely into me. We did kiss a few times but he didn’t try to turn it into anything more than that even though we were alone all day. He told me he is a heart-on-his-sleeve kind of guy and he isn’t wrong. I think I have met my match in that department. He doesn’t have a filter...just says what he is thinking. He still talks about us like he expects this to be a long term serious thing. I’m fine with it. It doesn’t seem like a desperate kind of thing to me... more like him thinking outloud. Anyway...when we said goodbye, we just decided we would give it a shot and see how things go. We’re going to try to figure out another time to get together soon. Anyway...I caught the last ferry home so it is now 1:30 a.m. and I need to hit the hay. (((HUGS))) to all!!!

Me 51
H 46
B/G Twins 11
Legal SA - January 2019
Divorce filed - June 2019
Divorce final - November 2019

Together 14 years
Married 12 years
BD1 - May 2014
BD2 - September 14, 2018