My guess is the judge will roll the eyes on that one. He just needs to be the good guy, as they all do. Makes him feel better and costs you nothing. I say get this thing pushed through before the buyer's remorse kicks in for him. I'm glad your parents were there. If it is an ongoing issue, at least in the US you can get exchanges ordered at police stations, but I'm sure you and your lawyer have discussed what the options are in view of his physicality, lateness and rudeness.