I wouldn't be afraid of replacement if it's indicated - just find a doctor who knows what they are doing with it. Compounded topical cream is best (and less expensive), blood count needs to be monitored (to make sure the blood doesn't get too thick) and estrogen levels followed (if testosterone is too high can convert to excess estrogen).