Well this is a complicated one but its a very important one...should we be friends or not?
There is a fine line here and we have to be carefull with how we deal with this...could I have a sip of wine while I am in rehab? IMO I see this as we can only do what it feels less painful for us at certain point, if you are not ready to be friends with him just yet....well listen to your needs, you dont have to do it if you consider that you are not ready yet, this is a proccess and its important to accept how we feel at each time...now what he means by friends? It might mean he scare of not knowing what he wants yet and not having you as a friend means he is not going to have you there if he changes his mind....

The important point here is that we dont know what he feels exactly and thinks and since we dont have clarity just be with yourself and patiently the time will give you responses....there is no right or wrong thing to do, there is only you and protect yourself... There is no system to bring them back....just breath and take one day at a time..

When the student its ready, the teacher will appear...
Even after all this time the sun never says to the Earth, "You owe me."
Look what happens with a love like that,It lights the whole sky.