Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
K
kml Offline
K
The one and only time someone tried to set me up since my divorce was awful - they didn't tell me it was a setup (couple invited me to a concert, I get there and find their friend "just happened" to come along). We had a light meal prior to the concert and he told my friend she didn't need to tip that much! (She was just tipping a normal amount, not excessive, and the waitress had been fine). As a former waitress myself that just pissed me off. He was a chiropractor too who made plenty of money, certainly enough to tip his waitress!

B
B
Originally Posted by kml
The one and only time someone tried to set me up since my divorce was awful - they didn't tell me it was a setup (couple invited me to a concert, I get there and find their friend "just happened" to come along). We had a light meal prior to the concert and he told my friend she didn't need to tip that much! (She was just tipping a normal amount, not excessive, and the waitress had been fine). As a former waitress myself that just pissed me off. He was a chiropractor too who made plenty of money, certainly enough to tip his waitress!
shows a profound lack of generosity of spirit. who needs that.
and, ugh - awkward!

I thank God every day that no one has tried the old matchmaking routine with me. I'd not respond well.

M 20+ T25+
S ~15.5 (BD)
BD 4/6/15
D 12/23/16

"Someone I loved once gave me
A box full of darkness.
It took me years to understand,
That this too, was a gift."
~ Mary Oliver
L
L
Originally Posted by bttrfly
I thank God every day that no one has tried the old matchmaking routine with me. I'd not respond well.
What's got your panties in a bunch BF?

A
AndrewP Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Years ago we tried to set my younger brother up with a friend. Took them out to a pub for the evening as a foursome. All got along decently and a good time was had but there was no "spark". In that case, both were looking to date someone and were ok with being set up for an evening out rather than having it pushed on them.

I'd like to think that someone who knows both parties would be a good judge, and I there's another thread on here somewhere where that is being given a try.

I met my XW through a mutual friend who arranged for her to show up at a pub where we were having a drink. She fit in with all my friends who were there and I walked her home that night - the rest as they say was history.

On the other-hand my experience with this has been limited - I think that if there were expectations attached that would be problematic.

On BD
H52, W50
T27, M26
S21, D23
BD-9-Mar-16
D-15-Jan-18 Final-19-Apr-18
I am a storyteller. The story may do you no good.
But a story is never for the listener. It is always for the one who tells
B
B
Originally Posted by LH19
What's got your panties in a bunch BF?

I had something happen yesterday that was so off the wall and out of bounds as to be really creepy. I know two people who are likely involved in this mystery, one whom has such little regard for boundaries that I've recently given her the heave ho as a friend. The other likely manipulated the situation and will not enjoy our next conversation. It's a boundaries thing, LH. What Kml described ... the friends were well meaning, but not telling her upfront? Yeah, that's not cool in my book. if someone tried to matchmake and not tell me, so I showed up expecting dinner with my friends and suddenly there's some random dude there as well .... yeah, I am not a fan of surprises like that.

OTOH, if someone said, hey we want to introduce you to this guy we think you'd like, I'd probably say if we can do it in a larger gathering, so it's not so focused on just me and the guy and the other couple, sure, I'd meet someone. It's about being consulted first rather than surprised. Does that make sense?

M 20+ T25+
S ~15.5 (BD)
BD 4/6/15
D 12/23/16

A box full of darkness.
~ Mary Oliver
L
L
It's about being consulted first rather than surprised. Does that make sense?
Personally I would have just had fun but that's how I roll.

B
B
growing up as an only child kept under the overly watchful gaze of a helicopter parent, nope, that would tweak me into such a state of uncomfortableness that I wouldn't be able to relax and have fun. I'd feel like I was under constant scrutiny. we all have our "things" ...

M 20+ T25+
S ~15.5 (BD)
BD 4/6/15
D 12/23/16

A box full of darkness.
~ Mary Oliver
L
L
growing up as an only child kept under the overly watchful gaze of a helicopter parent, nope, that would tweak me into such a state of uncomfortableness that I wouldn't be able to relax and have fun. I'd feel like I was under constant scrutiny. we all have our "things" ...
Sometimes you have to get out of your comfort zone. That’s how you grow.

B
B
Sometimes you have to get out of your comfort zone. That’s how you grow.
agreed. just not going there right now. too much growth in other areas, taking precedence, lol.

M 20+ T25+
S ~15.5 (BD)
BD 4/6/15
D 12/23/16

A box full of darkness.
~ Mary Oliver
A
AndrewP Offline OP
OP Offline
A
New thread time. Excavation and recovery continues.

Rebuilding and renewal - 8
https://www.divorcebusting.com/foru...flat&Number=2926127&#Post2926127

On BD
H52, W50
T27, M26
S21, D23
BD-9-Mar-16
D-15-Jan-18 Final-19-Apr-18
I am a storyteller. The story may do you no good.
But a story is never for the listener. It is always for the one who tells
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard