Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11
may22 #2904711 09/29/20 07:55 AM
A
A
It me hard that way too when I first read it, May. (The book is called Non Violent Communication, if you're interested). What made the difference to me was understanding the difference between a request and a demand. A demand has consequences. There's always an unspoken 'or else' in a demand. When someone demands something of you, you know it. When they request something, you feel free to enact your boundaries in a way that is good for you, say no safely or say yes totally freely. It makes giving altruistic, rather than bargaining.

Anyway - it really transformed how I speak with my children and my H - and while it hasn't changed the way he speaks to me, it has changed the way I listen to him. I can often hear, under his grumbling, a very simple request for care and attention. At other times, a demand that I take the blame for his feelings. When he is requesting care, I give it. When he is demanding I accept unreasonable criticism (because it makes him feel better) I step away. At least he knows - I hope - that when I give him care it is given freely, and because I want to, not because I am trying to manipulate him out of a bad mood so he will be nice to me.

AlisonUK #2904725 09/29/20 02:20 PM
job Offline
New Thread:

A day at a time

Last edited by job; 09/30/20 07:33 PM. Reason: added link to new thread

Sit quietly, the answers will reveal themselves when you least expect them to.
The past is gone, the present is a gift and you need to focus on today, allow the future to reveal itself when it is ready.
Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard