Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13
sgctxok Offline OP
OP Offline
In this humble man's, the "Last Resort Technique" can be one of the most misunderstood, most misused, most feared, and most underutilized of all of Michele's tools.

The LRT, as I see it, isn't so much a defined set of actions, patterns, or a "plan". To me, it's more of a lifestyle, an attitude, and a state of mind.

To me, it's the infamous "Dobson letter", the one that is written and re-written at least 10 times, truly taken to heart within yourself, then torn up and never sent. If you have the right state of mind, your partner will KNOW you have set both them, and yourself, free by your words, actions, and attitudes, without ever giving them the letter.

It's when you finally take your life back, knowing that the DB techniques you've been learning and practicing are mostly for YOU and the quality of YOUR life. If you happen to draw your partner back to you, well, that's an added benefit.

It's when you are able to quit "reacting" to everything your partner does, or doesn't say or do. You begin taking the actions required to make your life situations better for YOU.

It's when you can stop letting fear guide your actions, and can open your mind up to a whole new world full of solutions to the situations you face in your daily life.

It's when "going dark" isn't merely done to prove to your partner that their life will SUCK without you, while you're hanging around for them to "wake up", to call or show up to profess their undying love for you. It's when you can use the "dark" times to work on yourself, and take a much needed break from the chaos. When you can re-center yourself UPON yourself, and not them or your relationship with them.

It's when you are no longer willing to put your life on hold while you are "waiting" for your partner to "recover" from their MLC, depression, an on-going affair, their lack of love for you, or whatever. You realize that you are in charge of your own life, that YOU are responsible for YOU, and you don't have to sit around in limbo until THEY change. You totally quite playing the "blame game". It's when you realize that you are not a "victim" to what life deals to you.

It's when the dreaded word "divorce" no longer sends your heart racing and mind reeling. After all, most of us are in a position where our relationships ain't too great right now, or could be a helluva lot better. Wouldn't you really love to "divorce" yourself from THAT relationship, and start a new one with your partner that's even better than what you could ever hope or imagine?

It's when you realize that your partner is a flesh and blood human being, that they have their own faults, doubts, demons, and fears, just the same as you. When you can begin to let go of trying to control the way they think and feel. When you learn to let them "own" their thoughts and feelings without assuming that YOU are responsible for, or have control over, those thoughts and feelings. When you can not necessarily "understand" them, but truly "accept" them.

It's when you can learn to be humble enough to admit that maybe this really ISN'T all about you, and you can stop taking all of your partner's actions and moods personally. When you can let them talk to you, vent their anger, thoughts, and feelings to you, without you feeling that it's all your fault, and that you can "fix" it, and that you can make it all better. Or that they really WANT you to make it all better. Or, that you even have the power to do that.

It's when you stop trying to "push" or "pull" your partner back into the relationship with you, and begin to "draw" them back to you. When you strive to become an irresistible magnet that no person can stop from being attracted to. Someone that makes a positive difference in the lives of everyone they touch. Someone that can make your partner feel that their lives are less joyful, less fulfilling, if they decide to spend it apart from you, to not have you near them. That you are someone that can add meaning to their lives just by knowing you. That can be an example of being the best that you can be.

It seems that thinking about the LRT can bring many negative, doom-ridden, and "final" thoughts to mind. I encourage everyone to "reframe" these thoughts, to put a positive spin on the concept, to see the actual benefits of this tool. (Or, maybe, we should have this "state of mind" FIRST instead of saving it for LAST?!)

I know that there's a lot of times I wish that I would have seen this tool in a more positive light sooner in my journey. As for me, it may be something I want to use as an "On Going Technique" instead of a "Last Resort Technique"!

sg
Love is PATIENT, love is KIND, LOVE never fails / DB since 2001
sgctxok Offline OP
OP Offline
^

sg
JD1 Offline
[Cool]

SG,

Absolutely beautiful. I will visit this response often to keep me focused on what I need to do with MYSELF.

Thanks,

Phil

YEAH!!!!!

Awesome post! Funny, I was scared a bit of the LRT too when I started. I think most of us are. But you can only make your sitch better...cause you are making YOU better. What kind of better? The better that is right for you...live life darnit, don't let it live YOU!

I never even knew this level of happiness existed. All the time, heck no - we are human. But no fear. No more crying. No more anguish over every tense word he speaks. No more worrying that he won't love me anymore. Cause I love myself and there are PLENTY of people out there that love me too. Why let one person ruin, or RUN your life - unless it is YOU running your life. [Big Grin]

Wise words..and I'll stop babbling cause you said it soooooooo well. There IS control. It is within us.

iffer

Remember...everything happens for a reason
Boy did I ever need this. I think I am at the LRT. I have re-read the segment in the book and am still having trouble knowing what to do. This helped. Thanks!
Susie

Stop by my thread(My Story-Help) and tell me if you think I am on track. Thanks

Oh SGidget, you'se so smoit!

In a Mrs. Partridge sort of way I mean.

Did you guys get blown over last weekend? We only lost one shingle. The neighbor's tree debris fell over her way for once:D. Finally she wants to cut it down. WooHoo!

Oh yeah. I think most people are too scared in general to do anything effective. That's why there's such a huge self-help industry. People keep looking for that magic bullet where they don't have to risk it all. Excellent wisdom for reference. Even if not doing a LRT, just doing something that makes you uncomfortable or maybe makes your DB recipient ANGRY! Doesn't mean it's not the exact right thing to do.

Okey dokey tomb raider. Outaheah....

Thank you so much,
Maybe Michele can hire you. Very helpful. I do think we all have to go througha process of letting all this stuff go before we can truely do it. The next thing to tackle is to know when it is truely appropriate. If you have any wisdom there I would love to hear it. I truely needed this today.
Later,
Sweet Orange

sweet orange
"The next thing to tackle is to know when it is truely appropriate. If you have any wisdom there I would love to hear it."

Sweet - I don't think that it is ever too early OR ever too late to get started on this. Remember, it can be a POSITIVE thing, setting you up for a win-win situation if your intentions are pure. [Smile]

JJ

Read about Divorce Busting® Telephone Coaching here!
sgctxok Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks to JJ for writing this...

I needed it...I feel so reactive today.

sg
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard