Print Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DnJ #2939378 11/17/22 02:50 PM
D
DnJ Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Good Morning

My last of of “work”. (My last day in the office was August 31.) Tomorrow pre-retirement leave is complete and I am truly retired. smile

I am busier now than when I worked. Though it’s a better busy. Working for me.

Daughter and son called yesterday to take my out for supper tonight. Yummy steak meal in a little while. They also suggested I bring Grandma too. So, it’s the four of us.

This Saturday, the entire family will be here celebrating my and S21’s birthdays. My new stove will be getting its maiden voyage cooking a roast for the nine of us. We still chuckle at that burnt turkey from thanksgiving when the stove become possessed.

Hope all is well with folks reading along. It’s good here. I’m 55, happy, healthy, and peaceful.

D

Feelings are fleeting.
Be better, not bitter.
Love the person, forgive the sin.
3 members like this: sjohns6, bttrfly, job
DnJ #2939518 11/21/22 03:37 AM
B
B
DnJ,

Happy "official retirement". You must be relieved after that long 2.5 month "unofficial retirement"...life's tough ;-)

Me:39 Ex-W:37
M:7 T: 9
S:6 D:3
BD/IHS/Confirm EA/PA: Feb '20
OM1 affair ends: May '20
W/OM2 & moves out: June-July '20
W files for D: Jul20
OM2 confirmed: 9/2020
Divorced: May '21
DnJ #2939521 11/21/22 12:53 PM
D
DnJ Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Good Morning BL

LOL!!!

Oh my goodness yes! The past 2.5 months were torment. Sleeping in as long as I wanted. Having the entire day and all its hours available for me. Not driving 1000 km a week for work. Doing what I want, when I want. It was tough! 😃

Have an awesome day BL!

D

Feelings are fleeting.
Be better, not bitter.
DnJ #2939522 11/21/22 02:07 PM
job Offline
Congratulations! You are now officially retired! I can't wait to see what your next life's chapter has in store for you.

Sit quietly, the answers will reveal themselves when you least expect them to.
The past is gone, the present is a gift and you need to focus on today, allow the future to reveal itself when it is ready.
DnJ #2939546 11/21/22 08:14 PM
N
N
Be proud of what you've done D.

Keep shining!

WW H(me): 53
W: 48
T: 27 M: 22
S: 18
Piecing since 03/2016
Saw the light in the storm
DnJ #2939565 11/22/22 02:45 PM
D
DnJ Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Good Morning

job, thank you. I’m excited for this next chapter. I wonder what I will have written when looking back in a decade, in two decades, and more. Grandkids, trips, pains, loves, ahh the future is unknown and and unwritten. It’s so interesting how it all unfolds.

Hi neffer. I am pleased with my accomplishments and life.

I just hurt my non-dominate wrist while snow blowing. There was a foot or so of snow that blew into the parking area during my birthday celebration. I spent two hours blowing snow the next day after everyone had left to return home. Guess the prolonged vibrations must have aggravated it. That, and I seem to vaguely recall me accidentally banging my hand into something during my work in the piano room.

Oh well, I’m on the mend and presently working with ceiling tiles. Not heavy. Just hold and staple.

Have a wonderful day.

D

Feelings are fleeting.
Be better, not bitter.
DnJ #2939571 11/22/22 04:25 PM
B
B
maybe wrap it while you're working to give it some extra support and aid the healing process?

congrats on your retirement and birthday, although ... hmmm, is that injury a sign of pending old age????

lmao ...

-the crone

M 20+ T25+
S ~15.5 (BD)
BD 4/6/15
D 12/23/16

"Someone I loved once gave me
A box full of darkness.
It took me years to understand,
That this too, was a gift."
~ Mary Oliver
DnJ #2939602 11/22/22 08:06 PM
D
DnJ Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Haha bttrfly. Pending?!? Lol.

Wrapping is a great idea. Too bad I hadn’t thought of that before working for six hours. smile Typical man, rub dirt on it, and keep working. I’m going to find a tensor bandage.

D

Feelings are fleeting.
Be better, not bitter.
DnJ #2939607 11/22/22 09:33 PM
D
DnJ Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Follow up, while taking a water break. Whew, working with one’s hands above their head all day, on a ten foot ceiling, on a six foot step ladder.

I went looking for a tensor bandage. All I have is what must be for modern mummy wrapping. Holy moly! It’s half a foot wide and around eight feet long. I think it was for W’s varicose veins. Anyhow, I looked at this and it would have turned my wrist into a bat. I thought about cutting it down, but you never know when I’ll need to, oh I don’t know, hold my severed halves together or something.

A funny story from yesterday.

My house is around 150 years old. The walls and ceiling are plaster and lath. The ceiling I’m tiling has a hanging light, which I’ve removed, mounted in an ornate medallion. While standing right up at ceiling height I discovered the medallion is about four inches thick and made of plaster as well. It is approximately three feet across.

I’ve no idea how this block of plaster is attached so I start prying. It moves. Good. I continue to pry and loosen and a chunk of plaster breaks off and crashes to the floor hitting the ladder on the way down. Plaster bits fly everywhere!

Well now I can see that the medallion was attached directly to the lath with those old fashion square nails, and then plastered in with the ceiling. Basically, removing the medallion leaves a 1/2” deep cavity from ceiling surface to lath strips. Oh well, it needs to come down as I am having wall sconce lighting.

So, on near the top of the ladder, prying on the edge of 150 year old plaster with one hand and using my “hurt” hand to hold the piece when it finally lets go. I’ve no idea how heavy it will be. 100 pounds? It is a pretty big piece of plaster. How am I going hold 100 pounds reaching from a ladder?

Luckily, the medallion cracks and splits in two. I pry off one half and it falls away from the ceiling. Yes, it is pretty heavy. However. I do manage to hang on to it as it swings down and away from me. And 150 years of dirt, and dust, and silt spills forth. A cloud of black, swirls about settling upon everything. The floor directly underneath is suddenly filthy. Everything is suddenly filthy. And I am covered in dirt and plaster dust.

I carry the first half outside and go back and repeat on the second. Then clean.

Afterwards, as I was sitting on the couch having a drink, I looked up and noticed the medallion on its way down ripped out some of the ceiling surrounding it. The void it left behind is in the shape of the Millennium Falcon! I took that as a sign from the universe, and watched a Star Wars movie for the rest of the day. smile

I chose to rewatch number 9 - The Rise of Skywalker. As if I wasn’t in enough pain. Lol. That movie has bigger plot holes than my ceiling.

Anyhow, break is over. Back to work.

Grumble grumble. This boss is the worst. I’m retired. What gives. Man oh man. Haha.

D

Feelings are fleeting.
Be better, not bitter.
DnJ #2939684 11/24/22 01:11 AM
D
DnJ Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

I know we are all at different points along our respective journeys. Some posters are very hurt and do not yet see much to be thankful for. Others are further along and realize the blessings bestowed.

Have faith friends. It does get better. I speak from experience for my W dropped the bomb during Thanksgiving Dinner. Tossed me and the kids aside like we were trash, and ran off with the egg man (my neighbour 3/4 mile from me). Three hours from W playing games and enjoying the meal, to her standing up and announcing her exodus to me and the kids and my parents, to her gone.

In the beginning, there were certainly plenty of moments I felt less than thankful. Today, I am healed, whole, and happy. (My version of HHH. Just kidding around LH19. smile )

This is a journey none of us asked for. Yet, is an incredible golden opportunity, one which very few people ever experience, and even fewer embrace. Walk the path and find your peace. Believe me, there is much to be thankful for. God bless.

D

Feelings are fleeting.
Be better, not bitter.
2 members like this: Dats000, job
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard