Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
A
AndrewP Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by Terry Pratchett, Monstrous Regiment
It's lies. It's all lies. Some of them are just prettier than others, that's all. People see what they think is there.

Prior Thread - What would humans be without love? - Rare
https://www.divorcebusting.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2932640&page=1

Not much happening in the Land of P these days - thought I'd start a new thread since the old one is getting full.

We've hired on two new admin people at the plant who despite never having worked in this industry before appear to be picking things up quickly. Given how short-staffed we are, training them has been a challenge. We have no solid on-boarding plan either. I've done some of the training, walking them through various daily procedures on plant production, order processing etc which has taken time away from the project I've been working on. Sort of a Catch 22.

One is I think perhaps early 30s and is the daughter of one of our senior Operators so is fairly familiar with what we do in general. The other is perhaps late 40s, she has two grown daughters so that's the math to guess at her age. They seem like nice people and very competent. Whoever made the decision to hire them I think did well.

Had a nice Easter with my son coming for dinner. He's still struggling a lot with various things and I continue to worry. Not much really I can do though - he's a grown man and needs to figure things out. As always I hope that he's getting some attention and support from his Mother as well, but I have my doubts.

Now that she's working full time and is several time-zones away, it's been difficult to arrange phone calls with my daughter. So I suggested and she agreed that we'll set some time aside pre-planned about once a month for a call. Just have to figure out a time that works for both of us and book it.

I'm itching to get out into the garden again but it's still not quite time. The rhubarb is popping up quickly so there should be a good harvest of that fairly soon. I'll let some of my neighbours know as well so that they can help themselves. I was really tempted to take my storm windows down but think I'll leave them up for a while yet. I have been able to open some of the windows and finally get fresh air into the house.

As far as social/love life goes, nothing happening there. The troubling loneliness I recently felt has somewhat gone away. There's really not anyone who I'm actively interested in pursuing at the present although I suspect that "C"'s friends who I see regularly as they run a shop in the village still consider that an option. I reached out to her a few days ago for the first time in a few weeks. She's finally gotten lawyer paperwork in her possession so hopefully things will finally be sorted out for her soon. She's had a tough slog of it.

I find it interesting how my perceptions have changed post-divorce. I watched Casablanca last night for the first time. A movie that is indeed a true Classic. Years ago I would have enjoyed the romance between Rick and Ilsa but now see her as a manipulating cheater who lead him on for her own purposes. And Rick craving the crumbs thrown his way. I also really enjoyed the portrayal of the character Sam. Especially given the times, the fact that in many ways he was an equal and a friend was nice to see.

Ah well - enough for now. I think I'm going to experiment with a potato and tomato casserole tonight. I have some small tomatoes that I like as snacks but they need to be eaten up before they go bad as I bought too many.

On BD
H52, W50
T27, M26
S21, D23
BD-9-Mar-16
D-15-Jan-18 Final-19-Apr-18
I am a storyteller. The story may do you no good.
But a story is never for the listener. It is always for the one who tells
K
kml Offline
K
Ugh yeah - being cheated on sure ruined a lot of movies for me too.

I wouldn’t count on your ex being any support for your son. It’s best if we just assume we are the functioning parent and step up to the plate.

A
AndrewP Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by kml
I wouldn’t count on your ex being any support for your son. It’s best if we just assume we are the functioning parent and step up to the plate.
Yeah. Over 6 years now that I've been acting as if she doesn't exist. And then there's the fact that if she reacts the way she historically would, she's probably not having any positive impact anyway.

Just another box to tick off on the list of things that I really wish I had someone around for both major and minor.

Forgot to post the thing that I had intended this post for.

One of my 3 life insurance policies came up for renewal at triple the former cost. No huge surprise there as my situation and risk profile is very different than it was 20 years ago when I first took out the policy. Since I don't have a spouse, nor children to support to adult-hood, I asked my broker about my options. He suggested a new policy for a significantly smaller benefit which still would more than cover any final expenses. I was declined because of pre-existing heart conditions. Sigh. I just need it for 2 years until the whole life "permanent insurance" policy is released by my xW. Examining my options. He said that he can probably reduce the benefit on the existing policy to bring it back in line with my budget.

Up early today to make sure I got my breakfast made. They are taking the power out for the entire region for a few hours this morning for a major sub-station upgrade. I have the house already warmed up and my teapot full so will be good. Power was supposed to be out 15 minutes ago so I should hit the update button.

On BD
H52, W50
T27, M26
S21, D23
BD-9-Mar-16
A
AndrewP Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Grumble. Spent the past week in meetings that remind me why I felt relief at being moved out of corporate.

TL;DR - rough week at work and nobody to talk to about it so I'm venting here.

---

The major project that I've had some involvement in came to town and boy is it messed up. It's not helped that the two primary leads seem to have the attitude that I have no clue what I'm talking about and also that I'm trying to sabotage the project.

I did have a chance to talk to the COO who I've known for nearly 20 years and is the ultimate arbitrator of things. He showed up for a couple of days of the meetings. Previously my messaging had been that we would be ready on time but during the meetings it was very obvious that the scope is completely out of control. I told him privately that as long as we focused on the key success metrics that we should be good but that I was very worried about everything else being tossed into the stew pot.

I spent much of the meetings either having my opinions discounted which they then insisted my boss be brought in to respond - who gave essentially the same answers as I did. And also the shock and surprise of the team about issues that they claimed they'd never heard of and that I was then accused of bringing up at the last minute. Items that had been documented literally years previously. The fact that there were fundamental design issues and things done in a very slip-shod fashion that I pointed out also did not go over well. It really felt like they were looking for a scapegoat to blame their own failures on and that I was picked.

Turns out that the decision had already been made to delay the project completion until the fall instead of July 1. One of our very senior staff has suddenly departed and one of the key project team members is going to be out for medical reasons.

I got myself all worked up last night when emails came in from one of the project leads well after working hours demanding that I identify all outstanding items on one item prior to Monday which just plain isn't anywhere near ready because of multiple short-comings. When he didn't like my answer there were other messages to my boss that I was then included on. Since I was being told that certain changes could not be made because another part of the team had stated their preferences, I was quickly shut down when I requested that I be able to contact them to hash out what would work for everyone. All communication has to be filtered through this team lead which would be ok if he had any clue on how our business works but he doesn't. He just makes guesses and then gets angry when those of us who actually run things disagree. I can understand that he's frustrated. I believe this project is causing some home issues too and that he's also announced that he's off the project as of September.

Sigh

I've predicted from the beginning that this project was doomed and have done my best to ensure that none of the stink sticks to me. Also at the beginning I was told in no uncertain terms that I was absolutely not to be involved which is one of the big reasons I was transitioned out of Corporate. This should have taken about a year to put in. They've been at it for 4. I'm sure that part of their frustration with me is that they believed that I wouldn't be involved and that I would be obstructionist. Well - I am involved. Sigh again.

I feel on the edge of throwing in the towel and looking for something new. But there is presumably a fixed time-scale on this if I can keep my patience and then I won't have to deal with these people any more. It's often said that people quit because of those they work with/for, not because of the job itself.

I have a good relationship with the COO who certainly seemed to not buy in to the finger-pointing and angst that was going on during the meetings. I think that the desperation of the project team was pretty obvious as was the fact that I was being - or so I feel - reasonable about everything.

The good news out of this though is that I can get some summer vacation that I hadn't thought possible and perhaps get out to visit my daughter.

Well - tea pot is empty. I have a load of towels to put out on the clothesline. I worked from home yesterday and got my blankets washed and dried outside too. Glad I did it, there was a minor tear in my quilt that I was able to spot and repair that I might have not seen otherwise.

On BD
H52, W50
T27, M26
S21, D23
BD-9-Mar-16
K
kml Offline
K
Ugh - sorry about the work bs. Glad your boss has your back.

D
DnJ Offline
D
Originally Posted by AndrewP
It's often said that people quit because of those they work with/for, not because of the job itself.

I believe this to be true. A good group of folks makes work so much better.

I agree with you, remain patient with the extended timeline, and enjoy a summer vacation.

D

Feelings are fleeting.
Be better, not bitter.
Love the person, forgive the sin.
D
D
Originally Posted by DnJ
Originally Posted by AndrewP
It's often said that people quit because of those they work with/for, not because of the job itself.

I believe this to be true. A good group of folks makes work so much better.

I agree with you, remain patient with the extended timeline, and enjoy a summer vacation.

D

I can give you about a hundred examples of how true that is RIGHT now. frown

Sorry you are having a rough time at work. I know the feeling, but it still is so unpleasant and I feel for you. Hang in there. Warmer days are coming and you can get in some vacay.

Me 52, H53
Bomb drop 9/29/2014
Divorce from XH final 12/17/2014
Marriage #2 12/31/2019
5 adult (step)daughters (3 from XH's first marriage, 2 from current H's previous relationships)
6 grandkids
A
AndrewP Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Happy Mother's Day to all. Missing my own Mom as usual. She passed in 2005 and was the glue that held the family together.

For the last few years of her life we were estranged - she didn't seem to want to spend time with us and I didn't try to push on it. Some have blamed my xW but I strongly doubt that was the issue. She had a lot going on that's not worth going in to now. Wow - almost 20 years ago. Hard to believe.

To check the date I went back and pulled up the old pictures. There's a really nice one of the 4 of us that was taken at the funeral. Very different life back then for sure.

I had a nice call with my daughter yesterday. I've got my vacation booked to go out and see her towards the end of the month. Just organizing flights now. I'll probably fly out of Detroit. My other options would have me getting a connection there anyway and so it's just easier to drive there vs driving almost the same amount and flying there.

I'm presuming that my son is going to spend time with his mother today. They were always closer I felt than he and I. From what my daughter said she was aware that he's starting a new job and the only way she could have known that was from her mother (her brother doesn't call "anyone") - so it's nice to know that she's in the loop of what is going on with her son. I was wondering about that.

For me today should a fairly quiet one. Poking away at some work for the plant this morning, I have a loaf of bread rising in the sunshine. I got my storm windows down yesterday - my heavens is the new, much safer ladder quite a lot heavier than the old one. It's going to take some practice and thought on how best to raise and lower it. I did it with main strength yesterday and feel the aches. As usual, I texted my daughter before and after which is how she knew I was available for a call. I always have a bit of a sit after doing the windows. Being afraid of heights makes it kind of stressful.

I got the grass in the front yard cut yesterday and will do the back today. One more load of laundry and ironing to do. I had been having an issue with the starch sticking to the iron and read about a different technique to try that might prevent that.

On a work note, the annoying meetings with Corporate are done for now. Boy - those guys really have no clue how we operate. There had been an expectation I believe that I would be pulled more back into Corporate to steer part of this project through which I've been avoiding and now successfully I think. I had a chat with the COO who I've known for a lot of years and he laughed when I told him that it's kind of like being asked to cut her grass by my xW. It was made clear that I wasn't needed at Corporate and I found a new life out at this plant - so don't ask me to go back to where it was made clear I wasn't wanted. The project lead has accepted that I'm not able to be dragged back in on a whim but isn't happy about it. The due date has been pushed out to September from July which is how I was able to get some vacation. I honestly think it will be pushed again. We've lost a very senior executive who was driving a lot of the corporate requirements and that's a hole that is hard to fill. Our other 2 divisions are also really struggling as they are pushing back hard on the changes being demanded - many of which don't make sense for them either. None of them are driven by regulatory or efficiency, just the dictates of key people on the project who have little knowledge of what actually happens to make the company run. Sigh - glad that I've managed to continue to have little of the stink stick to me.

On a personal note - nothing really going on. I was tempted to dip back into the dating pool again but really am not motivated. There are some friends that I've not seen in a while that I need to reach out to I think. I know that the one was having some surgery on his arm. Others are probably opening up cottages and such.

It's the cat's birthday today I think. I believe he's 12 now. Still very active and just got spritzed for chewing on a sculpture on my desk. I'm glad to have him around - he certainly makes the house a lot less empty.

On BD
H52, W50
T27, M26
S21, D23
BD-9-Mar-16
K
kml Offline
K
he laughed when I told him that it's kind of like being asked to cut her grass by my xW.

Hahaha - good analogy!

Glad you’re finally gonna get to visit your daughter.

D
DnJ Offline
D
Hello Andrew

I’m happy to hear you getting your vacation plans and flights all figured out. Nice having the world getting back to more open and safe again.

I am not needing to cut grass just yet. We barely got rid of the snow around here. However, in a few more weeks I will need too. Well, hopefully I need to; not wanting any late season storms. smile

I agree these fancy “safe” ladders are pretty heavy. Lol. I’ve toyed with an idea of using a double pulley block for raising and lowering the top section of my big ladder. That could easily double (or quadruple) one’s pulling strength. Doesn’t help me carry the darn thing though. Haha.

Take care and hope you enjoy your day.

D

Feelings are fleeting.
Be better, not bitter.
Love the person, forgive the sin.
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard