Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
L
L
Originally Posted by Jq25
How does validation works, why do people use it with WW/WAS?
When you validate someone you are letting them know you understand how they feel.

People typically use it with a WW/WAS as manipulation to help try to win them back.

S
S
eX W behaviour changed - Much better towards the kid. Now she wants to spend more time with a kid, fighting me for every day VS before she did not care, she would stop by to say hi to a kid EVERY couple days. Now kid is priority again…. Her attitude towards me is getting worst, more hostile, evil, wants bigger peace out of divorce. Now it’s lots of Nicks and dimes. She is still with OM (I can’t tell otherwise- I am not asking and telling people I don’t wanna know). Still NC other then kid talk/divorce talk. She did try to talk to me about me spending money left and right but she said that she is struggling. What do I do give her some $$$, joking?

Need help with emotional Validation in conversations, every needed conversation, she is always on top. Sometimes bring back things from the past.

How does validation works, why do people use it with WW/WAS?

First, never validate disrespect. When she gets disrespectful, tell her you won't be spoken to that way, then walk away. EVEN for necessary conversations. Most necessary conversations can be had later. If it is a timely discussion, then tell her you won't be spoken to that way, then get back to the business at hand.

Even necessary conversations you should be sticking to business. Sounds like the majority of them are about custody of your child. Keep it to that. If she tries to steer you into "you are spending money left and right", you steer it back "so you want to have him two days in a row? Okay, then he will be with me Thursday and Friday."

Most LBSs engage the WAS because deep down they think any conversation, even negative ones, are better than no conversation. It is fool's gold.

- Do not validate disrepect.
- Keep conversations to the necessary business.
- If she talks about how she feels about something, listen and validate. (Ex. Her: "I do not get enough time with our child." You: "So you feel you should get more time with him/her.") Then back to necessary business.
- Be the one that ends the conversation. "I have somewhere I need to be. " Then leave.

Finally, get a custody agreement in place. Get a lawyer to help. Make it fair and equitable. Then there is no need for these necessary custody discussions.

M(53), W(54),D(19)
M-23, T-25 Bomb Drop - Dec.23, 2017
Ring and Piecing since March 2018
J
Jq25 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Do you have a link with good Validation stuff? Any help will be appreciated

L
L

K
kml Offline
K
Remember, validation is not about admitting she is right (unless she is). It's just acknowledging that that is how she FEELS.

K
kml Offline
K
Example:
Her: "There are green aliens living next door to me

You: That must feel scary

J
Jq25 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by kml
Example:

Originally Posted by kml
Example:

Thank you kml, do LBS always talk this way? Is it forever? I can’t see myself talking this way forever, validating every feeling…….

J
Jq25 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Steve - I can’t be the one to end the conversation with my eX. My eX seems to end every conversation or at least most of them and she always busy( not really but that’s how she wants to be perceived) using the same Phrases and context I’ve learned here LOL.

S
S
Steve - I can’t be the one to end the conversation with my eX. My eX seems to end every conversation or at least most of them and she always busy( not really but that’s how she wants to be perceived) using the same Phrases and context I’ve learned here LOL.

We've heard that a lot. "My walk away is better at this stuff than I am." Likely you are engaging too long. The point of being the one to end the conversation is to do it quickly. Most LBS are bad at that, as I said, because deep down they feel that bad conversations are better than no conversations. It isn't. Its your brain tricking you.

M(53), W(54),D(19)
M-23, T-25 Bomb Drop - Dec.23, 2017
Ring and Piecing since March 2018
L
L
Thank you kml, do LBS always talk this way? Is it forever? I can’t see myself talking this way forever, validating every feeling…….
Uuuuummm no.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard